Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Okey dokey, I officially hate art (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/377997-okey-dokey-i-officially-hate-art.html)

Randy 1 09-13-2007 02:08 PM

Okey dokey, I officially hate art

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b6d_1189110995

901aero 09-13-2007 02:20 PM

Some jackasses think they can do anything, place it under track lighting in a museum or gallery and call it art.

Hey, Hineylicher, that's called "recycling" only your suppose to use old, used up cars. What a jerk.

mr_fizz 09-13-2007 02:38 PM

at least it was a tip!

TMc993 09-13-2007 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by mr_fizz (Post 4572130)
at least it was a tip!

:roflmao:

ed devinney 09-13-2007 02:43 PM

Apparently it was some sort of factory test car that would be destroyed anyway. I kind of like the end result (and I like 997s).

Quadcammer 09-13-2007 03:12 PM

kinda cool, but certainly a waste of a spectacular car.

brucec59 09-13-2007 03:41 PM

"Art" is "fart" with a silent "f."

biotechee 09-13-2007 04:19 PM

Hey- I think that one wheel, rotor and caliper were still good... Anyone got a phone number I can call...?!

:)

Derek_C 09-13-2007 04:19 PM

That is some seriously upseting video.

Amfab 09-13-2007 04:48 PM

I actually like it in a way. Art is just communication. It is a way of speaking, conveying concepts. A person may like it, or may not, or may not understand the language, or may not be "listening." Good art can communicate many different concepts or experiences to many different people.

I know I’ve been rambling about the aesthetic of older Porsches in a recent post, and maybe I'm just too artzy fartzy or something, but when I see this video and resulting display, it gives me a sense of what has been lost in recent decades in manufacturing of all products. Things used to be made by hand, they were crafted, you could buy a beautiful vase, or bowl or car and it wasn't just the shape and design that drew you to it, it was the energy it had, you could feel that someone crafted this, someone took their hands and created something, put their life and feelings into it.

The more and more automation permeates all aspects of manufacturing the less and less of that energy we have in our lives. This piece of art, and if you feel it is or isn't is up to you, but for me I feel that this is art, communicates this concept clearly to me. A Porsche in the past was viewed as something that was the epitome of craftsmanship. While still beautiful and valuable, modern products like the 977 inherently are much more a disposable product than older models.

Would you feel the same or worse if they crushed a similar condition 356? For me the 356 would be much more of a loss, even though the market price is much lower. Maybe if you feel like I do about the 356 vs. the 997 you kinda understand what I'm saying, maybe not. Maybe you just think I’m some loony oversensitive artzy type. Maybe you are right.

Arena993 09-14-2007 09:05 AM

Amfab:

Well said, but it still sucks to watch.

Mike

cabrio993 09-14-2007 09:28 AM

They could have used a 996 instead... :crying:

901aero 09-14-2007 09:48 AM

Amfab: In theory I understand what you are saying and in fact agree with some of your points. And if you enjoy the piece then it is art to you.

I am an artist. I have a degree and a minor in Art History. Not that those facts make me any more of an expert than anyone else when it comes to what it is that moves you. But I have grown tired of those who do not use their own talents - abilities, insight, specific to their lives and experiences- to create.

Simply nailing two pieces of wood together and acting like it's art; calling it art; presenting it in an art setting, IMO does not make it art not does it make the person executing it an "artist".

What Gunther did there is not anything you, I, or any 10 year old couldn't do by pressing a few buttons.
And the result is well, uninspiring to me. I could care less if it was a Ford or a Ferrari. That's not my beef.

As a matter of fact he is not the first to do something like that. Maybe the first to crush a 997. But compactor art has been done years ago using other cars and or car parts.

allill 09-14-2007 01:40 PM

ouch

Marv 09-14-2007 01:51 PM

It was prettier before the metamorphosis. Just my opinion.