993 Forum 1995-1998

Heat Wrap for LPMM(GS1)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Heat Wrap for LPMM(GS1)

After doing the combined LPMM and 180 deg rotation of the muffler outlet pipes ( which is the 'GS1' portion to accomodate NB wide ovals on a WB car ), the rear fender area appeared to run noticibly warmer than previously. I was not overly satisfied with the heat shields, so replaced them with fiberglass header wrap as an experiment: should have shot some before/after temps ... but did not; however, there appears to be a noticible temperature drop after wrapping the piping.
I will run with this for a while ... but think that the heat shields may end up in the recycle bin: one could reinstall them over the wrap if desired.
Ten feet of 2" wrap would do each muffler nicely .... I only had a scant 8.5 ft to spare each side from the reminants of a coil kicking around .... but I did say that it was an experiment ... Stainless tiewraps are the way to go to secure the wrap - but being fresh out, stainless 2" hose clamps do just fine.
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2007, 09:26 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although not a bad idea in theory, similar to wrapping headers, you will accelerate rust wherever the wrap is. The inlet and outlet pipes are not stainless. Just a thought
Old 09-12-2007, 10:34 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Anything wrapped with this stuff needs to be inspected from time to time as the wrapping does hold-in a lot of heat. Every header I have wrapped cracked after a year of use. Then again, header primary pipe do run a lot hotter than that of exhaust downstream.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:47 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

A valid point to check the piping condition at some point ; however, anything downstream of the CAT does run substantially cooler than the headers. Regarding the risk of corrosion, I had assumed the muffler piping to be of SS409, a ferritic stainless. The body shell is also ferritic ('magnetic'), wheras the end caps appear to be a SS304 austentic alloy. Perhaps not ...??

The idea was that with the bypass redirecting some significant portion of the gas flow directly to the muffler exit pipe, wrapping would have more of the heat blasting out the tip rather than radiating up inside the fender well ..... plus one cannot ignore the potential enhanced acceleration from the jet effect ...
Old 09-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope the jet effect offsets all that extra weight from the heat wrap
Old 09-13-2007, 04:09 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor