Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   993 Targa Wheels (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/377549-993-targa-wheels.html)

HammerESQ 09-11-2007 06:26 PM

993 Targa Wheels

Hello,
I am new here, but this seems like the place to ask this question.

I have a set of 993 Targa wheels with S02-A's on them. I just wanted to get a rough idea of their value. They came on a 951 project that I just bought, and I am looking for a different style wheel for the car (turbo twists).

I also heard that the 993 targa wheels were heavier to offset for the added weight of the glass roof. Any details or information that you guys can provide would be very hepful!

Thanks!

Mike J 09-11-2007 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by HammerESQ (Post 4565671)
I also heard that the 993 targa wheels were heavier to offset for the added weight of the glass roof. Any details or information that you guys can provide would be very hepful!

Thanks!

:):):):) :jumper: !!

McQueen993 09-11-2007 10:59 PM

Are you planning on selling them?

Amfab 09-12-2007 05:51 AM

I bought a set of Targa wheels on eBay for about $750 with S0-2s on them almost perfect shape and low miles on the tires. That price included $150 shipping across country so I basically got them for about $600. Someone had taken them to one of those eBay shops who photo, post, and ship for you--and the guys there were totally clueless, they had no idea what they were worth and did stuff like misspelling Porsche as "porshe" in the auction, so I think that they didn't show up in most peoples searches--so I had no real competition in the auction. I felt after I bought them that I had scored a really good deal, and that Targa wheels in that condition with good rubber on them should be in the $900-1k range. I then sold my old scratched here-and-there and repainted here-and-there Targa wheels for 750 bucks with a relatively new set of Sumitomo htrIIs ($400 new) on Craig’s list within 3 or 4 days. I probably could have got more for them if I had waited, but I didn’t want to haggle or argue over price.

My estimates on the worth of a set of four (without tires) are:
Perfect, like new condition, to a buyer who wants to get the car back to factory condition - $1K-1200 --more possible to the right buyer
Good shape $800
Reasonable with some scratches and curb rash $300-500

They are expensive to refinish and some people don't like to take them apart and wont even do the refinishing job (wheel enhancement for example wont do them). At $200-$250 a wheel for a high quality refinish (LA area prices) $1k for a really good set should be possible

I think that while some people really like them, or want to get their Targa back to original, the fact that they are 17in and not 18 is a factor on keeping the price down a bit, even though they are pretty rare.

HammerESQ 09-12-2007 05:29 PM

Hey guys, thanks everyone for the replies. They have a couple of issues, but for the most part they look good. I can't officially sell anything until I get my membership, but I am looking to sell them. Send me a PM and we can work something out.

Thanks again!

Amfab 09-12-2007 07:27 PM

Someone on ebay is trying to get of $300 for a single wheel.

Chris W. - '96 Targa 09-12-2007 08:28 PM

I bought a set of take-off Targa wheels in almost mint condition with tires (P-Zero Rosso's) for $1k. I've seen sets go for up to $1500, so I felt I got a good deal.

As to them making the wheels heavier to offset the weight of the top, I hadn't heard that, and would be surprised if it were true. But who knows; I've been surprised before!

Good luck with the sale.

:cheers:

Best,

Chris

Texas993 09-12-2007 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chris W. - '96 Targa (Post 4569750)
As to them making the wheels heavier to offset the weight of the top, I hadn't heard that, and would be surprised if it were true. But who knows; I've been surprised before!

Good luck with the sale.

Then why did the 996 Targa come standard with the MY02 Lightweight wheels? They are some of the lightest wheels Porshe made in 18" size.

I doubt the weight of the roof was a factor in those speedlines being used.

Chuck W. 09-12-2007 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by pjconner (Post 4570079)
Then why did the 996 Targa come standard with the MY02 Lightweight wheels?

Thinner glass:) ??

Chris W. - '96 Targa 09-12-2007 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck W. (Post 4570347)
Thinner glass:) ??

Or perhaps the extra weight of the radiator and coolant offset the lighter weight of the wheels?

:)

:burnout:

-Chris

Amfab 09-13-2007 02:55 AM

the vinyl sunshade in the 996 is perforated, that has got to shave some weight off up there, the 993 sunshade is solid vinyl

Chris W. - '96 Targa 09-13-2007 09:32 AM

There we go. Mystery solved!

:)

-Chris

Chris W. - '96 Targa 09-13-2007 09:34 AM

And that's why I keep my car's sunshade rolled up -- it helps distribute the car's weight to the front to offset that of the engine. Definite handling improvement.

:cheers:

-Chris

Amfab 09-13-2007 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chris W. - '96 Targa (Post 4571132)
And that's why I keep my car's sunshade rolled up -- it helps distribute the car's weight to the front to offset that of the engine. Definite handling improvement.

Absolutely, plus that makes the interior warmer, so the interior air weighs less. Make sure to fold the rear seats forward too. Even though I am 6 ft tall I have the drivers and passengers seats all the way forward--Sometimes its hard to turn the wheel this way, but few turns means less speed scrubbed off.