Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Help!! Maybe my first Porsche??? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/377368-help-maybe-my-first-porsche.html)

randyleepublic 09-11-2007 12:19 AM

Help!! Maybe my first Porsche???

I have an opportunity to buy a 1978 SC that has the full 993 body and interior grafted on. Supposedly the work was done very nicely - the headlights work the way they should, but I don't know what else to check. The other mod is a freshly rebuilt 3.3 liter turbo engine with the short bell housing 4 speed. Seems like a pretty nice package overall for $12k, but I don't really know?? The one thing that is really messed up is the paint. Seems that the paint was done by someone different then the body work, because it is worthless. Big, big flakes break off down to the bare metal. I have a very cost effective paint shop that will take it to bare metal and paint it for about $3k.

I know that the Porsche community values originality, however at this price I think I am getting a pretty good deal.

What do you folks think?

milrad 09-11-2007 12:28 AM

Run Forest, Run!

Seriously, I am not a fan of Franken-Porsches, except for maybe an updated engine/transmission in an older chassis. For $15K you have better options, like a really nice 944, or a high mileage early 3.2. You might even get lucky and find a 964 in the high teens. Hell, you can even find early Boxsters in the teens.

Busta Rib 09-11-2007 12:36 AM

Speaking as a potential 993 buyer, a rebodied SC would not be very appealing in the market if/when you sold the car. If you don't intend on selling it, it may not be such a big deal. But fundamentally, I just think there is something wrong with cars that pose as a different model, regardless of the make. I say get the real thing or don't get it all. Just my .02. Ultimately, you're the only one that needs to live with it, so enjoy the car. good luck with your decision.

Wilder 09-11-2007 12:53 AM

If I had a $15k budget, I'd look for a higher mile 964.

jimhsu 09-11-2007 02:06 AM

a $15K 911SC is much more attractive and valuable than a $15K 911-turned-fake-993.

993_Pilot 09-11-2007 02:39 AM

I understand the desire for the 993, and I briefly considered a modded SC for a while, but I am so glad that I waited until I could afford what I really wanted. I know that waiting is difficult, but you are getting good advice here. Walk away and come up with a savings plan to afford the 993 if that is what you really want. I have my doubt's about a $3k paint job too. My car is in for a complete respray right now, and it is costing closer to $9k, but at least I know that it is being done right.

David in LA 09-11-2007 05:13 AM

As nice as it may (?) have been put together, you really don't want a "franken-car" as your first Porsche as you have no idea what you may be getting yourself into....parts and repairs on any P-car are relatively pricey, so unless you are extremely handy and mechanically inclined, I would advise you to look for a more "stock" car whose potential issues and shortcomings are much better documented (ie 964, late 911, etc).

Just my $0.02...good luck on your search.

zicoramone 09-11-2007 07:06 AM

stay out of it.

dhicks 09-11-2007 08:28 AM

I agree with all the advice above....you just dont know what you are getting yourself into.....Look for something with higher miles but that has been well serviced and fairly standard.....some people look for over a year before the "right" car comes along.......and always make sure that you have money in the bank for any repairs......also find a good mech in your area that is well known on the board....not only are they worth their weight in gold once you have a car but they are also familiar with the local cars that are for sale

ppashley 09-11-2007 09:30 AM

+1 stay away. Maybe consider a 964 - they're great cars also.

BIG-BRO 09-12-2007 11:36 AM

You say "take it bare metal and repaint", but..........the reason for flaking could be lots of filler, etc where it was "grafted on". I would only touch one of those set-ups if the bodywork were done well ! A lot easier to handle mechanical than a big case of unknown bodywork covered in crappy paint.
A close friend bought what I call a "1978 993 widebody slantnose targa" last year on ebay for about $15K. Body was well done, but her mechanic tells her to expect to do wheel bearings VERY often because of the way the wheels were offset and spaced to fill from the 1978 trackwidth out to the wide bodywork.........

Kika 09-13-2007 12:15 PM

I sold a great 1980 911SC Targa earlier this year for $8700, so you should easily be able to get a 3.2 Carrera for $15K, maybe even a 964. IMHO I would look for a 89 Carrera with a G50, those are great cars.
generally speaking I would stay away from cars with swapped out motors.

CAHRERA 09-13-2007 12:38 PM

randyleepublic,

Be patient grasshopper..... don't settle for less. If it's a 993 that you really want why not wait for the real thing. A 911SC with a 993 Body kit is not a 993 deep down inside. I don't care what you do to it.

I was once in your shoes when I was thinking of doing a wide-body conversion on my 1980 SC Targa. Then I thought about it and it wasn't worth it. I was better off selling my SC and purchasing a Factory 1985 Turbo look Targa which I did. It cost me about the same as doing the conversion and I also got a 3.2 motor, Turbo Brakes and suspension, and a whole lot more.

Keep your money in your pocket.

901aero 09-13-2007 02:11 PM

Randylee: I'd pass on this one

However stock SC's are great cars and represent a good value right now IMO. Advice given above is all good especially, Keep some money back so you have some green to get you back on the road when something goes wrong with a 25+ year old Porsche.

Keep looking for a really nice original car and you'll have less headaches in the long run.

One things for sure, once you get your first Porsche, it won't be your last!

Good Luck and enjoy the thrill of the hunt!

clubrcr 09-13-2007 03:09 PM

I have a 1990 964 for sale with 123K for $18000. clubrcr@comcast.net

The problems with the car are obvious to us, but maybe not to you because you are not that familar with Porsches.

The first thing is re-sale. You would have a hard time ever selling it. You also have a problem with a turbo motor in a car that hasn't been upgraded to handle the power, everything from brakes, cooling and CV joints, to a old tub that might not be capable of handling the extra torque. You would think someone would spend the bulk of their money making the car seem presentable. Since the paint is terrible, could you imagine what corners were cut? I would hate to trust my life and hard earned money to a car that you didn't know what other items were missed.

As someone said in the beginning, RUN FOREST RUN.