Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

do you ever think about trading in your 993?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:35 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
You may wish to drive a well sorted 993 -- I am sure your thoughts would change. Both of the 993's I have had were very planted at high speeds and seemed to beg for more.
Maybe the gals in the A4 were begging for more. God, how humiliating....
Old 09-10-2007, 09:50 PM
creator8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None of the reactions I've gotten here are unexpected and I'm not slamming the 993. I'm just saying, with perspective I'm ready for something else. And maybe my car isn't "well sorted" with suspension mods etc., but it is a good example--the shocks are stock but are fairly fresh and not the originals that came with it. Its just not the car I expected it to be coming from my early cars and a car I personally want. I have driven 993 C2Ss with PSS9s and even turbos. They still don't necessarily measure up--for me.

As mentioned, there's a bunch of great cars out there including the new P Cars that everyone in this section jeer down. While in the past I've talked up the 993 over the 996, with some real back to back comparison I'd say that given the choice for a daily driver that really gets some use, I'd have a 996. Especially a C4S and of course TT or GT3. And I'd argue all day long that the 997 can compete in the looks department inside and out over a 993. Plus, Porsche have made their watercoolers sound every bit as good as a 993 does now, out of the box.

Also, slamming the "rice-burners" is closed minded and almost bigoted. If you haven't run a "well sorted" STI or EVO hard on a twisty road you really can't comment. There's a reason there's a cult as strong as that of the P Car behind those cars too.

I get to drive all the new cars out and there's some truly excellent cars around that are in my qualified opinion a better option, as they should be and certainly worth looking at if you can pull yourself away from 993 as be all and end all. There's a lot of compromises when you're running a 10-12 year old used car now.

The question was would I trade my car? And MY answer is yes.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No car has a monopoly on coolness, greatness, performance, whatever. And love is a fickle thing. But for me, the 993 still tops out most of these scales in a practical way. I can't drive faster than I do without risking the polizei, and I can't afford anything more exclusive. And the cachet? Thru the roof, baby! Reinforced, no doubt, by this august assembly here on RL...
Old 09-10-2007, 10:13 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Steve,

I hear what you're saying.

Not everyone here 'jeers down' the water-pumpers. I think a 996 Gt3 would look great next to my 993.

Perhaps the mythic status of the 993 is a tad overblown, but then again, you are on the 993 board which isn't exactly reknowned for lack of bias. I suppose it's really an aesthetic - the same way the R Gruppe guys are into long nosed cars.

Yes, the 993 is raw, noisy (compared to newer 911s), heavy (compared to older 911s), and not particularly fast by today's standards. But, IMO, it's simply the most beautiful 911 ever made and that, along with the visceral experience of driving it, would make it awfully hard to give up.

BTW, I've owned a WRX and I still miss that car. It was a driver's car, and as you suggested, has some of the same spirit as a Porsche.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by creator8
None of the reactions I've gotten here are unexpected and I'm not slamming the 993. I'm just saying, with perspective I'm ready for something else. And maybe my car isn't "well sorted" with suspension mods etc., but it is a good example--the shocks are stock but are fairly fresh and not the originals that came with it. Its just not the car I expected it to be coming from my early cars and a car I personally want. I have driven 993 C2Ss with PSS9s and even turbos. They still don't necessarily measure up--for me.

As mentioned, there's a bunch of great cars out there including the new P Cars that everyone in this section jeer down. While in the past I've talked up the 993 over the 996, with some real back to back comparison I'd say that given the choice for a daily driver that really gets some use, I'd have a 996. Especially a C4S and of course TT or GT3. And I'd argue all day long that the 997 can compete in the looks department inside and out over a 993. Plus, Porsche have made their watercoolers sound every bit as good as a 993 does now, out of the box.

Also, slamming the "rice-burners" is closed minded and almost bigoted. If you haven't run a "well sorted" STI or EVO hard on a twisty road you really can't comment. There's a reason there's a cult as strong as that of the P Car behind those cars too.

I get to drive all the new cars out and there's some truly excellent cars around that are in my qualified opinion a better option, as they should be and certainly worth looking at if you can pull yourself away from 993 as be all and end all. There's a lot of compromises when you're running a 10-12 year old used car now.

Bigoted - ? Ooueuhhhhh - Oh, Touche...!!! (with a limp-wrist voice effect). Vote appropriately next year - Tim Curry & Barnie the Franke will thank you for it.

How about 'ricer' - feel better...?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Rand
Instructor

I didn't trade in my 993, but I did go to the Italian side. I can say that the whole experience of owning the Ferrari is much more than the 993, the smell of the leather, the sound of the engine and especially the performance. That in no way detracts from the 993 being a great car. I still love the looks and sounds and it was a fun car to drive.

I had both cars in the garage for a few months but eventually sold the 993. Now I regret it, I wouldn't trade back to the Porsche but I sure would like that 993 back. Maybe someday...I've got my wife bugging me to get a 993 again so it may be sooner than later.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

And I'd argue all day long that the 997 can compete in the looks department inside and out over a 993.
I had a 997. To my eye, it didn't evoke the same visual lust that I have for the 993. The 997 is more interesting than a 996 but it's not in the same league as a 993. IMHO. Now, in terms of outright speed and lap times, a stock 997 would trounce a stock 993, the drivers being 100% equal.

Plus, Porsche have made their watercoolers sound every bit as good as a 993 does now, out of the box.
+1. The 997 with the PSE, while quieter than a 993 with the vaunted Supercups, is a much throatier, more aggressive and desirable sound.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:22 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

I thought about it, briefly, when I was recently shopping for a daily driver (4dr) and stumbled upon a pristine 996TT. Then I smartened up. Now I have both. Even after closing the sale on the TT, the GM of the dealer twice asked me to sell the 993 to him. So did his Finance Manager. And this GM has plenty of toys to play with...when I was there Saturday they were rolling an Audi S6 V-10 off the truck. The 993, plain and simple, is a classic.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:44 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

I have been toying with the idea of making a change. But to something turbo charged most likely a 993TT. I have a friend considering to sell and wanting a good home if it is to go. However, I learned this weekend that another friend is thinking about parting with his 964 based RUF RCT. Anyone looking for a very good midnight blue C4? This is really a bad time to be moving. If I wasn't buying another house right now I think an RCT would be reason to let the 993 go. Only because it evokes at least as much emotion for me as the 993. Such problems we all have.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I suppose if I had a tiptronic targa with stock suspension I'd want a different car too. The styling of the targas never really excited me. I like the classic roofline myself. If you had a standard coupe with a 6 speed and modified suspension with the right rims you'd have what feels and looks like a completely different car. Beaten by what was that....an Audi 4 banger? Cmon!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:36 AM
RoninM5
Advanced

Thanks for your candid posts. Today I drove a 1996 993 Carrera. It had the european spec (ROW) springs and the motor sound exhaust. I mostly drove along PCH, and for a decent, but not too long drive. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I liked the purity and simplicity. I love the looks and design. I feared I might feel it was too slow if I bought it. I can't spend the money for a TT, the pricing has just skyrocketed.

My last car was a modified e39 M5, which had H&R Coilovers and dyno'ed 395.5 rwhp. I currently own and drive a 2006 Ford GT, which has light mods. I've gotten corrupted by the power, but I come from a motorcycling background, including test riding for BMW with the K1200S on the Ring.

I've driven over 5,000 miles in less than a year with the GT, including an autocross. But I am not comfortable driving it every day, since I worry about it. I'd worry about any car I own, but I think Porsche makes a better daily driver...And I've always wanted a 911.

In any event, I enjoyed your perspective, as I am sure did others, that perhaps lurk around and never post.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:58 AM
mii..

On a recent noisy four hour solo drive from the mountains and after wrestling my 993 in crosswinds and then being passed by an 07 Audi A4 at 100mph with four women in it looking thoroughly composed, I came to the conclusion that the 993 really wasn't all its cracked up to be. Yes I've proclaimed my allegiance to the 993 in the past, but with some real hard use, I'm of a different mind now.

Anything after the longhoods pretty much compromises the true 911 feel, and a 993 is just an overweight version of that car that the 911 legend is born from. The notion that its the pinnacle of the aircooled cars is flawed. All the compromises you'll deal with compared to a modern car, are acceptable in the early cars, because they are old cars, but not so with the 993s when compared to current modern cars on the market. A $30k Nissan 350Z will outrun a 993 and does so with true character and feel everyone goes on about here is lost in new cars, and indeed has as much genuine "heritage" as a 911.

Personally I'd take a 996 or 997 over a 993, or to be brutally honest even the aforementioned Z car any day of the week.

So yes I would trade mine in.
I agree. I drove my friends 300HP A3 Wagon that would out handle any of my Porsches in any driving condition. 0-60, we can argue, but the weight distribution of my 993s are so off that I can't really go as fast as I want in real driving conditions, especially the rain. I have had my eye on the Spaghetti F355 Spyder for some time now. Aside from the flash factor, any knowledge on the difference I would notice in performance? How does it compare to a 996 Turbo?

As for my oldies, I don't care to let them go. They are keeping their value, they are cheap to maintain, fun for flash, and the ladies don't mind taking a ride in them. I am more concerned with dumping the 993s.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:39 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rand
I didn't trade in my 993, but I did go to the Italian side. I can say that the whole experience of owning the Ferrari is much more than the 993, the smell of the leather, the sound of the engine and especially the performance. That in no way detracts from the 993 being a great car. I still love the looks and sounds and it was a fun car to drive.

I had both cars in the garage for a few months but eventually sold the 993. Now I regret it, I wouldn't trade back to the Porsche but I sure would like that 993 back. Maybe someday...I've got my wife bugging me to get a 993 again so it may be sooner than later.
Nice! - that 'yellow' 993 in the background would make a nice companion to the the silver eetalian job though Thank you for not whining about either car during your most excellent post
Old 09-11-2007, 11:08 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by miishmiish
I drove my friends 300HP A3 Wagon that would out handle any of my Porsches in any driving condition. 0-60, we can argue, but the weight distribution of my 993s are so off that I can't really go as fast as I want in real driving conditions, especially the rain.
Wow.
Perhaps in a torrential downpour, but otherwise....
I suspect you haven't driven a properly setup 993 - that would leave an A3 in the dust on any track, autocross, or twisty highway.
To a skilled driver the weight distribution of a 911 is not 'off', but rather an advantage, especially compared to a nose-heavy A3.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by miishmiish
I agree. I drove my friends 300HP A3 Wagon that would out handle any of my Porsches in any driving condition. 0-60, we can argue, but the weight distribution of my 993s are so off that I can't really go as fast as I want in real driving conditions, especially the rain. I have had my eye on the Spaghetti F355 Spyder for some time now. Aside from the flash factor, any knowledge on the difference I would notice in performance? How does it compare to a 996 Turbo?

As for my oldies, I don't care to let them go. They are keeping their value, they are cheap to maintain, fun for flash, and the ladies don't mind taking a ride in them. I am more concerned with dumping the 993s.
I have to agree that an AWD Audi is probably a friendlier car to drive in the wet as opposed to a RWD 993. But, as Matt says, I suspect that you've never driven a properly set up 993. If done right, on the track, it can be an incredibly fast machine and one that is very forgiving.

Quick Reply: do you ever think about trading in your 993?