993 Forum 1995-1998

Recaro SPG XL Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:57 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recaro SPG XL Install Help

I know that the race seat install help has been a well beaten item but I have searched and I am not finding what I need.

I have a set of Recaro sliders, obviously all the holes don't line up and drilling is in order. No big deal here.

Next is the side brackets that mount to the side of the seat and the top of the slider. This seems to be finding an 8mm or 6mm bolt and nut to attach the mount to the Recaro sliders. The only problem I see is that the brackets may be a little wide and the BK seat belt brackets on the outboard may get in the way.

Now the trickey part, where do I mount the inboard seat belt clip. The recaro sliders don't have anything and neither do the seats. I know BK makes a seat belt bracket but I bought the Porsche bracket like the one in this post.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=seat+belt

This seems to work best between the top of the slider and the bottom of the seat bracket. The seat belt should move with the seat right. There is not much room between the seat and the tunnel. Would it be better for this to be stationary and mounted under the slider. Maybe there are other options.

The last part is the Porsche sub bar for the 996. it seems to wide and get's in the way of the sliders if it's mounted under them. It also seems a little short to use the stock seat holes. It also seems to have too many bends in it. It was sold as working under GT3 seats in a 996 so I am not sure if I should have gone with the BK sub strap or try to custom fab something.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:09 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
The last part is the Porsche sub bar for the 996. it seems to wide and get's in the way of the sliders if it's mounted under them. It also seems a little short to use the stock seat holes. It also seems to have too many bends in it. It was sold as working under GT3 seats in a 996 so I am not sure if I should have gone with the BK sub strap or try to custom fab something.

Thanks in advance.
Jim,

I can't answer all your questions, but re. the Porsche sub bar for 996 sliders.... In the forward position it clears the seat, but is useless for sub straps. In the rear position (as you've discovered), there's insufficient clearance for the seat, unless you put spacers in - in which case you'll reduce headroom with a helmet on.

Short answer - I had sub bars with eye bolts custom fabricated - attached to the sliders, so that I didn't have to drill holes in the floor. PM me if you want pics (I have 996 sliders with BK brackets).
Old 09-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Jim,

If I were you, I'd just bite the bullet and get the B-K mounts. If you use the Recaro mounts and want to put stock seat belts in, you're going to have to drill a hole in the mounts to attach the inner belt, if there's enough room and if that's considered to be safe. Even with the B-K mounts, if you're somewhat tall, plan on drilling new holes at the rear to drop the seat bottom down, assuming the lower seat shell is not hitting the sliders. If they are, I'd recommend getting the Sparco sliders since they are much thinner in profile than the Recaro's.

If the side mounts are too wide, you'll have to install spacers in between the mount and the seat. You want them to have enough area that they will spread the load as wide as possible. I'm going to install 3" (for the rear) and 4" (for the front) diameter spacers with an offset hole for my Recaro Pro Racer. Here's a cheap place to get 6061 aluminum:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...p=2&top_cat=60
Old 09-08-2007, 10:56 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Jim,

If I were you, I'd just bite the bullet and get the B-K mounts. If you use the Recaro mounts and want to put stock seat belts in, you're going to have to drill a hole in the mounts to attach the inner belt, if there's enough room and if that's considered to be safe. Even with the B-K mounts, if you're somewhat tall, plan on drilling new holes at the rear to drop the seat bottom down, assuming the lower seat shell is not hitting the sliders. If they are, I'd recommend getting the Sparco sliders since they are much thinner in profile than the Recaro's.

If the side mounts are too wide, you'll have to install spacers in between the mount and the seat. You want them to have enough area that they will spread the load as wide as possible. I'm going to install 3" (for the rear) and 4" (for the front) diameter spacers with an offset hole for my Recaro Pro Racer. Here's a cheap place to get 6061 aluminum:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...p=2&top_cat=60
Mark,
Thanks for the help. I was trying to follow your install of the Recaro halo seat but got a little lost.

Are you saying that I need to get the BK seat belt mount instead of using the Porsche part I have now. Or should I just get the BK side mounts instead of the sparco one's I have now. There just doesn't seem to be a good way to mount th inboard seat belt with race seats.

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9005.php

Also, the seat brackets I am using are Sparco

http://www.northstarmotorsports.com/...productID/7883

you can see they have a flair at the bottom. They can handle the width of the Recaro XL seat but the flair pushes the seat belt mount out too much.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Jim,

I was thinking that B-K sold a side mount that had a threaded insert to accept the stock seat belt, as they did for my old GT3 seats. Maybe they don't offer that for the SPG's. If they don't you may have to go with the tunnel side seat belt anchor that B-K offers.

There's a good reason why race shops charge $250+ a seat to put these things in since there's a good bit of trial and error going on, especially if you need to drill out the side mounts to lower the seats, as I had to do.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:31 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Mark,
After some digging you beat me to the response. You point about the BK sides is that they do come with seat belt bolts. I did call BK and they were working on a set of sides for the owner and his 993 with SPG XL's but they did not finish them. I may give them a call back to see if the GT3 sides will work.

The sparco sides I have may work because they have extra holes that I could drill out to attach a seat belt. Actually I tried, I think they are 8mm holes but the seat belt bolt is 10mm.

All of the brackets seem to push to far into the tunnel. The only one that looks promising is the sparco base that has the seat belt mount.

On another note from dry fitting the seat, sides and slider it fit well. I am 5'11" and I was sitting fairly low. So all I need to figure out is the tunnel mount and the sub belt. It seems the sub-belt is going to need to be custom or I give the BK sub a shot.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:05 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

I have pole positions and mounted the inboard seat belt on the side mount. Drilled, then tapped the hole for the seat belf "receiver". If you do that make certain you mount it a bit further forward on the side mount than your instincts tell you as when you slide the seat back it will get jammed between the seat and the tranny tunnel. Also, if you mount it too far back you'll never be able to mount the sliders to the floor as the belt receiver will push the seat at an odd angle and you'll never get the holes to line up.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Freddy,

Do you have XL's or regular Pole Positions? What kind of side mounts do you have? I am trying to install my regular PP with the Recaro mounts and have found that the seat is too wide for the 410mm seat anchor attachments. I'm wondering how you did it or if you have Sparco side mounts, which look like they have a wider foot and more room to fudge.

Jim, sorry for the thread highjack. As you can see, I'm banging my head over a seat install, too.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:31 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Freddy,

Do you have XL's or regular Pole Positions? What kind of side mounts do you have? I am trying to install my regular PP with the Recaro mounts and have found that the seat is too wide for the 410mm seat anchor attachments. I'm wondering how you did it or if you have Sparco side mounts, which look like they have a wider foot and more room to fudge.

Jim, sorry for the thread highjack. As you can see, I'm banging my head over a seat install, too.
Regular Pole Positions with Recaro side mounts and Recaro Sliders. The sliders are mounted on the rearmost point and the seat belt receiver does get pinched a bit when I slide it far back but it does work.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Regular Pole Positions with Recaro side mounts and Recaro Sliders. The sliders are mounted on the rearmost point and the seat belt receiver does get pinched a bit when I slide it far back but it does work.
Sh*t, that's what I have. Why the hell is my seat too wide for the floor pan mounts??

Thanks for your reply, Freddy.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:20 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Sh*t, that's what I have. Why the hell is my seat too wide for the floor pan mounts??

Thanks for your reply, Freddy.
The brackets come with two very thick washers/spacers for each mounting point. If they werent put in properly it would most certainly affect the spacing width wise.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:25 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Mike,

No problem, we seem to be having the same problem. There is way too much dicking around to get aftermarket seats into our car. Maybe it's because we are trying to get XL seats to fit.

Do you know what the GT3 seat is based on, is it an XL seat or is it a narrow seat like a pole-position. Not to say my *** is wide, but I don't think the PP is the best hans seat. If only the holes were like the SPG XL.

Anyway, I was able to get the porsche seat belt bracket to work- sort of- but I would have to drill it and the recaro slider to keep it in place. I wonder if the BK one lines up. My sparco sides hit it because they flair at the bottom. Also, I can't drill and tap it for the seat belt bolt because of the flair. This is my problem. I need flat sides with a bolt or a way to make a bolt.

Also, there is a lot of sound-proof on the tunnel that gets in the way. I removed a bunch of it so the carpet is on the tunnel and that gives more room.

I may be going out on a limb here, but what is so bad with Porsche factory sliders. Do they have the seat belt bolt like the electric seats do. I hear they are taller, but is that only an issue with GT3 seats because they are taller the the SPG XL or if you are 6'0" tall.

I am going to end up with a lot of used **** before it's done. Someone needs to push BK to get some parts that work or there are going to be a lot of issues next year with the new PCA DE harness / seat rules.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:31 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
I have pole positions and mounted the inboard seat belt on the side mount. Drilled, then tapped the hole for the seat belf "receiver". If you do that make certain you mount it a bit further forward on the side mount than your instincts tell you as when you slide the seat back it will get jammed between the seat and the tranny tunnel. Also, if you mount it too far back you'll never be able to mount the sliders to the floor as the belt receiver will push the seat at an odd angle and you'll never get the holes to line up.
FastFreddy, What sides did you use. I have the sparco sides that have the flair so I can't really do anything. I also cleared a lot of the carpet backing on the tunnel. This gives more room.

So when you drilled you sides, did you tap it for a bolt, or did you weld a bolt to the back. Was that hard to do. Because I looked at the die when I was getting drill bits at the store. Would these work.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Jim,

The Gt3 seats are a 'narrow' seat, although feel slightly wider than pole positions - maybe a few mm.

FYI, the Gt3 BK brackets will not work with your Recaro seats due to the difference in center-to-center mounting hole measurements. Stupid - considering that Recaro built the Gt3 seats - but there you go.

Maybe getting a set of 996 sliders will help? They can easily be modified with a dremel tool and hammer (no kidding) to fit a 993.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:38 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaholmes
FastFreddy, What sides did you use. I have the sparco sides that have the flair so I can't really do anything. I also cleared a lot of the carpet backing on the tunnel. This gives more room.

So when you drilled you sides, did you tap it for a bolt, or did you weld a bolt to the back. Was that hard to do. Because I looked at the die when I was getting drill bits at the store. Would these work.
They are Recaro sides. The fit is perfect, no modifications other than drilling a hole on the transmission side of the mounting bracket on a drill press then tapping some threads into it and using the stock bolt on the seatbelt receiver.

Quick Reply: Recaro SPG XL Install Help