Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Good hoses, hose reels and towels to clean your 993 - Griot's worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Steve I just wash the Big Blue towel with all of my bath towels and dry them also and it did not effect them at all. One trick I do after the car is clean and rinsed is take the nozzle off and let the smooth flow of water flow over the car and then then the water sheets off making it easier to dry. I would like to try one of those blades but I am worried about it marking but you should be ok with silver.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rubber hoses really are the way to go. they do exactly what you want them to.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:33 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Thanks for the info, plus, if it messes up, I can return it locally, AND it's $25 less than Griot's.

Craftsman 5/8 in. x 100 ft. All Rubber Hose
Sears item# 07169605000 Mfr. model# 69605
$44.99

Sears doesn't seem to have a portable hose reel like the Griot's one though... this is the only one I see and it's $100 more than the Griot's one! Sears wants $299 for it...

Cactus, thx for the link to the properautocare.com place. The mitts seem to actually cost more than Griot's mitts

and their blade is more too by $8, but maybe it's better?

The drying towels are about the same price too

The thing I like about cotton towels is that I can dry them with all my other car cleaning towels, not having to do them separately. Also, I don't have to worry about drying them with heat by accident. This would be a pain to have to wash separately each time...
"Note: Our new Big Blue III should be washed prior to first time use. Machine wash under "gentle cycle" with cold or warm water and a mild detergent. Do not use bleach or a fabric softener and do not wash with other (cotton) towels. Air dry or spin dry at air temperature (no heat). "

I'll have to weigh these options.

Steve R

Steve, the Sonus (and other brands) drying towel can be washed normally. I also have a couple of Meguiars drying towels I bought at a local store that work well.
That is the squeegee I have and the "surgical" rubber on it is extremely pliable and has not scratched my dark colored cars. The squeegee/drying towel system works well.
Now, if you want to make car washing that much better, get a CR Spotless system. Makes washing a pleasure. I am on well water and used to stress about getting the water off asap. Our water is practically a paste, the solids are so high. Not anymore! The thing is awesome.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

[QUOTE=MarkD;4542867]Now, if you want to make car washing that much better, get a CR Spotless system. Makes washing a pleasure.QUOTE]

"CR Spotless system?" I'm afraid to ask, but what IS that? Sometimes I feel like I'm the last one on the block to get the 411 on information.

Thanks guys. I'll check into everything you suggested and more.

Man, my head is spinning, but I think I know what I'm going to do. I'll post all my "buys" after I make them and let you know what I end up with. It'll be a compilation of everything you folks suggested + and minus some stuff. I'm still unsure whether to go with the portable Griots Hose Reel... I haven't found anything else that's made of metal and won't fall apart after a few years that I like as much as the Griot's.

Steve R
Old 09-04-2007, 10:52 PM
leonardjohnr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for hose reels... the first and last word is Hannay... I have a number of them for both Water and Air... You won't go wrong... and you'll probably never need another... http://www.hannay.com/

Hope that helps...
Old 09-05-2007, 10:48 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Wow - not alot of griots fans on here!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:00 PM
dhicks
Drifting

I use Optimum http://www.optimumcarcare.com/products.html wash solution, polish and wax oh and their blue towels and PC pads from Autogeek. The opitimum poli-seal is fantastic, leaves a really nice deep shine on black paint, usually finish off with there spray wax which I use one of the blue drying clothes to dry......very happy with all their stuff......but I have never used a blade....would alwsys be scared of getting some grit under there and causing scaratches!!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:16 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I like Griots car wash. I used it at this years Porsche Parade. some of their little stuff is cool. I also like Porsche wax and ALL of Meguire's stuff; but they are local to me. As for microfiber, I like the stuff from Costco and, Target. The key, according to the Meguire's guy who came and explained detailing to a BMW club function, is to wash the microfiber separate and replace them often. The mitts as well. Get a great bucket, I love Griots but a janitorial one with wheels will work as well. Enjoy washing the car.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:04 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Steve 96C4S;4542917]
Originally Posted by MarkD
Now, if you want to make car washing that much better, get a CR Spotless system. Makes washing a pleasure.QUOTE]

"CR Spotless system?" I'm afraid to ask, but what IS that? Sometimes I feel like I'm the last one on the block to get the 411 on information.

Thanks guys. I'll check into everything you suggested and more.

Man, my head is spinning, but I think I know what I'm going to do. I'll post all my "buys" after I make them and let you know what I end up with. It'll be a compilation of everything you folks suggested + and minus some stuff. I'm still unsure whether to go with the portable Griots Hose Reel... I haven't found anything else that's made of metal and won't fall apart after a few years that I like as much as the Griot's.

Steve R
CRSpotless is a water DI (deinonizing) system. Removes TDS (total dissolved solids) from the water. No worries about "hard water" spots from tap water.
Amazing thing. You could actually just rinse it after washing and let it air dry... I haven't been brave enough to do that yet but it takes the stress away from a spot here or there drying before you get to it.

If you think this is mind boggling, look here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=35947
Old 09-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Mark, that is facinating stuff about that deionizer. A little too complicated for my simple life, but it must be cool to have one of those.

I still haven't seen anyone post a hose reel here that equals the Griot's freestanding one, so I might just go for it. The Hannay ones look nice, but I'm trying to stay away from the all green color scheme.

So now it's down to the Sears Craftsman hose or the Griot's hose for me.
If Sears has that lifetime warranty, that's kind of hard to beat. It's not like I'm going to send a heavy hose back through the mail to Griot's if it stops working!
Sears is local so I can just stop in and exchange it.

Steve R
Old 09-06-2007, 10:32 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I am a Griots fan, sorta... yes, much of his stuff is rebranded and very expensive, but I believe that many if not all of his cleaning/waxing products are his. The quick detailer and especially the interior cleaner are absolutely awesome. His wheel cleaner is just like P21S but a bit cheaper (and smells better). He does stand behind his stuff, and I have bought some things (like the window cleaner) that were lousy and I had no problems with a refund. And I believe everything has a lifetime guarantee as well, so if the hose or reel or whatever goes south, he'll replace it.

I can't speak directly to the hose, as I have some old hose I got at Lowe's or wherever and it's still going strong, and it's gotta be nearly 20 years old. Yes it kinks easily and is dirty, but it doesn't leak and it's in the sun for half of the day.

I have used a "California water blade" and it's great for quickly wiping off the water. No, I have never used it on my Porsche and probably never will. If you get one bit of dirt on that blade, you're going to have a nasty scratch. Fortunately that happened on my Chevy truck, and it was an improvement.

Thanks for the info on the deionizer. That's something I've wanted for a while, we'll see if I can afford it.

Michael
Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Man, I really appreciate that info on the california blade causing a scratch in your truck. I will NEVER use a blade now on my Porsche.

I can't believe people use them successfully without scratching. I would never risk it. Towels for life... that'll be my new anthem.

Steve R
The following users liked this post:
Paolo1 (05-09-2021)
Old 09-06-2007, 10:40 AM
george_k
Instructor

I buy a thousands of $$ worth of stuff for work from McMaster, as one poster had mentioned earlier, they have top quality stuff, mostly made un the good ole USA, at reasonable prices.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:37 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Man, I really appreciate that info on the california blade causing a scratch in your truck. I will NEVER use a blade now on my Porsche.

I can't believe people use them successfully without scratching. I would never risk it. Towels for life... that'll be my new anthem.

Steve R

If the "blade" scratches your paint... the car wasn't cleaned and rinsed properly
No matter what you use to dry (except a leaf blower) has the potential of retaining a little piece of grit and scratching the finish. Your only defense is a throrough job... or a leaf blower.

Re. the DI system, it is great but you hjave to look at long term cost too. You have to replace the resin that filters the water when the TDS on the little meter gets too high. Cost depends on size of the system you buy. Hit the web site to see refill cost.
I am on well water and TDS is over 800 (that is crazy high per CRSpotless owner) on the incoming side. The larger system I bought is still doing it's job with TDS at zero after about a dozen washes. That is more than I thought I'd get! It is absolutely necessary for me... every little drip left a spot in the past.
It really is fantastic. No affiliation by the way.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarkD
If the "blade" scratches your paint... the car wasn't cleaned and rinsed properly
No matter what you use to dry (except a leaf blower) has the potnetial of retaining a little piece of grit and scratching the finish. Your only defense is a throrough job... or a leaf blower.
a leaf blower?! I've seen it done on bikes, but never a car....

Quick Reply: Good hoses, hose reels and towels to clean your 993 - Griot's worth the money?