Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Is My Clutch Going?

Old 08-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Toddimus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robin,

Yeah, that sounds like it for me. Can you just drop the tranny w/o the engine? Is there enough room to get input shaft out of the clutch assembly? If so, I may be doing it sooner than later.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some shops will drop the tranny without removing the motor, they just loosen the motor mount to get the motor to "hang" in order to access the top tranny bolts. Which basically saves the trouble of draining the oil and removing all the harness. Sometime it can take longer...., I guess the good news with that method is that you don't need to get a alignement afterwards, since you don't need to remove the engine craddle and the suspension components associated with that? (Not 100% sure on that, as I haven't done this)
Old 09-16-2007, 09:00 PM
quasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted the outcome of this situation on another thread but will repeat it here for the sake of others who replied with similar symptoms. After leaving my 993 with a mechanic for a day, he drove it extensively and arrived at the conclusion that the pilot bearing had either seized or was seizing. We discussed the options and I elected to have him correct the problem and do a clutch change out because I am at 60k anyway. I also have a small oil leak and will have him do the hard, upper valve cover gaskets and of course the main seal and whatever else he thinks would be appropriate while the motor is out.

The mechanic has a friend who works over 993 transmissions and will open mine up for a minimal charge. I know the 2nd gear synchronizer is going so now is the time to get it all right. If he finishes this week, will take a road trip North, just to get reacquainted. No break-in period for a new clutch I wouldn't think. Thanks for the suggestions on this odd, intermittent problem.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:43 PM
quasr
Racer

Thanks for the rundown Robin. I noticed you mentioned checking the flywheel. Better to just replace it while there? I think I have read it cannot be resurfaced. Recently while replacing the plugs and wires, I removed the power steering pump to get at the last bast^*! plug. The belt looked ok, with no cracks. Do you advise replacing it anyway while there? I want to cover all bases and do it right. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:53 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Let us know if the pilot bearing is the culprit - I had mentioned it more from 928 experience than 993's, so remain curious ...
Old 09-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by quasr
Thanks for the rundown Robin. I noticed you mentioned checking the flywheel. Better to just replace it while there? I think I have read it cannot be resurfaced. Recently while replacing the plugs and wires, I removed the power steering pump to get at the last bast^*! plug. The belt looked ok, with no cracks. Do you advise replacing it anyway while there? I want to cover all bases and do it right. Thanks.
Replacing the P/S belt is a major PITA, with engine out it is a 10 minute job.

Replace it!
Old 09-17-2007, 01:20 PM
H2NO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to sound cynical, but these cars should not be taken to a dealership. Take it to a well respected indie who does nothing all day but take care of aircooled Porsches.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:27 PM
quasr
Racer

Thanks to all for the valuable advice. I will have the car back in a few days and will post the results. Standby for more....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is My Clutch Going?