993 Forum 1995-1998

Comments please on immobilzer symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 AM
henkinc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comments please on immobilzer symptoms

Hi Guys - I have isolated the conditions under which the immobolizer leaves me hung up, and seek comments on what might be going on. Not clear it is the imobolizer itself:

-when the car is fully warm and I leave it for a few minutes or as much as two hours, then go back to start it, the immbilizer lgith will go out using the remote while key is in ignition (stop 2) but when I go to the start position on the ignition switch, all the OTHER guage lights come on , there is no ding-ding audible warning, and the car will not start
- if I then try repeatedly to start the car for about 15 minutes, the thing tends to start - sort of mixed results depending on my frustration factor and time to dick with it.
-when I leave the car for another couple of hours and car cools down, the car starts just fine.

Again, the remote turns off the immobilzer light just fine at all times.
Ideas??
Old 07-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Not certain of your exact circumstances, but the flashing of the red diode on the door ledge is the 'go signal' for me:
a) if the car was locked by the remote, unlock with the remote ( observe the red 'flashing'), enter and start directly .... do not activate the remote again, or the immobolizer will rearm and do do the obvious ..

b) if unlocked and key not in the ignition, insert key and turn to the run position - all the dash icons light up: press the remote and observe the diode flashing - whick verifies that the immobolizer is disarmed .... then twist to start.

If I do (b) with the key in the first position ( before the icons are lit), it is not certain that the car will start.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:32 PM
henkinc
Racer

I got an e-mail from one of us that says

Had a similar problem. Check battery connections. My problem was caused by a loose ground wire.

Bruce - where was the loose ground? My battery terminals are tight.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:34 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by henkinc
I got an e-mail from one of us that says

Had a similar problem. Check battery connections. My problem was caused by a loose ground wire.

Bruce - where was the loose ground? My battery terminals are tight.
There's a ground attached to the engine lid.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:53 PM
henkinc
Racer

Thanks, Bruce. Seemed to be ok, but I WD-40'd the threads.

Quick Reply: Comments please on immobilzer symptoms