Rear speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:46 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear speaker upgrade

Hey,

Does anyone have a pic of how the rear deck looks like on a coupe (where the speakers are) with the board removed ? I'm considering a creative upgrade to the rears, and I'm wondering what the rear metal looks like without me having to take mine apart, only to find out there's no room there whatsoever.

Thanks,

Peter R.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:08 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Peter,

From memeory when I removed the shelf (which takes five minutes tops as you just unscrew four screws and carefully lift it out (remembering to disconnect the speakers!)) there is a few inches gap and then bulkhead with a sound deadening material on top of it. I used Infinity Kappa Reference component speakers that slot straight in. They made a huge improvement over the rubbish Nokia speakers that are standard.

Cheers,

David
Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

the stock grills on a coupe pop off from the top, no need to remove the deck. The speakers lift out. Jamey Rawlings (Rawlings Audio) changed mine in about 5 minutes) Just be careful not to break any of the tabs fom the stock grills if you plan to re-use them
Old 07-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Thanks guys, but I need a pic of the steel deck underneath. Think drills, grinders, hacksaws and tooling dies. And 8" seperates. The 2-way 'lo fi' option lives there now, and it's an insult.

Peter R.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging by my Targa you would probably have to cut holes in the metal of the rear deck if anything was deeper than 2.5 - 3 inches. Then you would have to make metal boxes to isolate you from the engine compartment.
It would probably easier to raise the rear deck vinyl up by building something custom, Someone used to make these for the older 911s, I haven't seen them for the 993s. Here is pict of my deck, but it is a targa so all the drive mechanism for the top is back there. And the body is based on a cab so maybe the back deck is different
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Peter R.
Pro

Boy, them's impressive mekanikin's you got there pardner !

3"is way enough if I use a 1"spacer up top. But I'm a-suspecting the deck on a coupe looks somewhat differently, although I don't know WHY I would think that.
Maybe it's to do with the fact that the hifi option rears are mounted extremely far to the FRONT of the deck. Strange goings on there.

Thanks for the pic Amfab, great help !

Peter R.

Quick Reply: Rear speaker upgrade