993 Forum 1995-1998

RS Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RS Sway Bars

While getting ready for my next DE, I pulled the wheels off of my 95 993. During the inspection, I noticed the rubber on the anti-sway bar connecting rods was rotten. When I run my finger across it, the rubber flakes off. I know it needs to be repaired, but should I consider some other upgrades at the same time? I asked Joel Reiser and he recommended "Euro RS adjustable bars, with the matching drop links"--sounds pretty good to me. Has anyone done this modification with the standard US ride height? Does anyone have the parts numbers I will need? Is there a noticeable difference with the upgraded anti-sway bars? Finally what would be the approximate cost of the upgrade?

thanks for the help,
--Joe
Old 07-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Good Question...

I don't know if you can install 993RS bars with a RS drop links on to a stock suspension. Were I you I would contact Steve Weiner at Rennsport in Portland, OR or Viper Bob at VB Motorsports, both Rennlist sponsors and ask them your question.

Stock is 20mm front, 17mm rear I believe, non adjustable.

993RS is 23mm front, 5 way adjustable and 20mm rear 3 way adjustable.

Be prepared for sticker shock for the 993 RS sway bar set with drop links, probably about $1,400, maybe more.

You can go Porsche M030 (RoW) 22mm front bars using stock Porsche drop links and 21mm 993TT (Euro) rear sway bars which also fit with stock drop links. The total cost for this set up with all new drop links will be about $500, maybe less.

It seems to me a high performance 993RS sway bar set up would be a waste of money on a 993 car with stock suspension...only my opinion...I never disagree with Joel Rieser, he really knows what he is talking about (Reiser Callas Racing)...Reiser was the driver, and Joel still drives.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:05 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I had the RS bars on my PSS-9-equipped car a few years ago. I now have TRG bars. I did not track the car with the stock sways and, thus, can't say if I felt a difference, but logic would dictate that the car would roll less and handle better (yes, I know a car with sway bars that are too big is not the most effective tool). The main reason to get the RS bars is for the adjustability, which is very helpful for the track tuning but not a necessity for the street, even if you are a spirited driver.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:07 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

It would be very uncommon to upgrade sway bars with stock suspension on a 993. Doing sway bars is no small task, so it's usually all done together. But if you prefer stiff sways and soft springs (like some people do) then it's certainly plausible, just not common.

Why don't you just replace the bushings? Must be really cheap & easy. Keep in mind that stock sway bars are already pretty beefy and suit a stock setup pretty well.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default The Other Eric....

is right on the money. It will be very easy to change the bushings, and cheap too. It really makes no sense to upgrade the sway bars to a bone stock suspension. You will note the sway bar diameters increase with Porsche's suspension upgrade packages, M030 and M030 (RoW). You could never factory order big sway bars with stock 993 suspension.

Suspensions are in the minds of many, systems, with matching components. This is the way the Porsche factory sees things. Sort of like putting short H&R springs on a stock suspension. What have you got? A car with a bastardized suspension.

Would you put a 5 GB drive in an Intel 8088 system? Not likely....checking into the availability and price of bushings may be a very good first step, IMHO of course. I agree with The Other Eric here.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark, do you still have the RS bars? Mike needs them.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Sorry, Larry, long gone to Joe aka solsrch.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help, my thought was to upgrade piece by piece instead of all at once. To build on Martin S's example, you could upgrade your RAM one week and your video card the next. I was thinking to upgrade the anti-sway bars and do the rest of the suspension later. Okay, I don't want a bastardized suspension; the next question is how much does the M030 cost?

I am new to Rennlist, and I have really been enjoying the group,
thanks,
--Joe
Old 07-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Do the Bilstein HD's instead of the M030's.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

I have been reading the past threads about suspensions, and I must admit to being a little confused. Bilstein HDs, M030s, RSs... seems like there are some many different setups. I love getting on the track, but I also love the flexibility of my 993. I can drive it to the track, and stop at the market on the way home to pick up dinner. And from what I have read that is exactly what the Professor intended his cars to do. So what is a good combo for some track some street?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:56 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Flood,
The most cost effective setup for daily driving and occasional track use would be:
Bilstein HDs
M030 springs
M030 front sway
Turbo rear sway
If you're not in a rush, you can find some of this stuff used.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile

Not a bad plan....however, let me add additional confusion.This outside the box idea just came to me!

Bilstein HDs with the added threading on the shock body, 30mm I believe.

Note (Here is the confusion) M030 springs Stock springs are rated 145-150 Lbs front, about 300 rear. The M030 and M030 (RoW) springs are rated about the same. The only difference between the three springs, this applies to front and rear, is spring length with stock being the tallest and M030 (RoW) the shortest. So what I am thinking, since Bilstein HD with the 30mm thread extension provides a wide range of adjustment, why bother to change the stock springs? Is this heresy, or am I missing something here.

M030 front sway 22mm
Turbo rear sway (Euro) @ 21mm.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:58 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Not trying to highjack this thread but have three simple questions since were talking suspension again:

1. What were the OEM RS spring rates F/R?
2. What were the OEM springs?
3. My suspension is all TRG: does anyone know where they OEM their stuff? I doubt they make everything themselves, but maybe I'm wrong.

FloodJ - you need the "whole" package custom tuned to your desires. Adding RS sways to a stock 993 will do nothing for the spirited day to day driving and upset the car when tracked.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:21 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Hmmmm

1. What were the OEM RS spring rates F/R?
150 Front, 300 Rear. I have put them on a spring checker, personally.M030 and M030 (Row) are about the same, just shorter

2. What were the OEM springs?
What do you mean by "what were"?

3. My suspension is all TRG: does anyone know where they OEM their stuff? I doubt they make everything themselves, but maybe I'm wrong.

All TRG, is that struts, shocks, springs and sway bars? I know that TRG sells sway bars, but was not aware of the rest of the stuff. Getting the TRG OEM info will not be that easy...
Old 07-13-2007, 12:56 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Martin,

2. Do you know the manufacturer of the RS OEM springs, ie, H&R, Bilstein, Cross, Eibach, etc.

3. TRG sells shocks and spring packages.

Sept. is closing in!

Quick Reply: RS Sway Bars