993 Forum 1995-1998

Shipping and Immobilzer

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:48 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shipping and Immobilzer

Just purchased my first Porsche, 95 993 C4, which is currently in Chicago and will be delivered to the west coast of Canada. Car is scheduled to be picked up in seven to ten days and delivered seven to ten days later. Hard to contain my excitement!

I do have a concern Re: shipping and the immobilizer. The car will be in an enclosed container but may have to be moved from one truck to another during the journey. Has anyone had any problems shipping a car and having the shipper get stumped by the immobilizer? Should I have instructions provided for the shipper(s)?

I will become a member (not a user) once I get the car and will post pictures at that time.

Thanks to those that have helped me and this invaluable forum.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:56 AM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is a remote w/ the car, there should not be a problem, unless for some reason the immobilizer fails.
If I don't use remote to initially lock and set alarm, car will not start when I put in key. So I just push remote to set, and again to disarm. Not a big issue really.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:18 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

My car did not come with the remote and it has never suffered. Having said that the early 95s didn't have the immobilizers. Congrats on the car-enjoy!!!

Al
Old 06-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by terbil
I do have a concern Re: shipping and the immobilizer. The car will be in an enclosed container but may have to be moved from one truck to another during the journey. Has anyone had any problems shipping a car and having the shipper get stumped by the immobilizer? Should I have instructions provided for the shipper(s)?
That is a legitimate concern. You could tape an extremely brief "If car does not start, press immobilizer button" notice on the dashboard.

Quick Reply: Shipping and Immobilzer