Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Cabriolet top adjustment

Old 06-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Craig Poulsen
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 993 Cabriolet top adjustment

I just replace a blown fuse that prevented my 1996 cab top from raising or lowering. How do I adjust before re-tightening the fulcrum bolts on each side of the top and what is the correct torque setting? Seems like they were torqued very tight when I loosened them for manual operation of the top. Any help?
Old 06-16-2007, 06:58 PM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Was your top open or closed when you loosened the bolts?If it was open when you loosened them then make sure the top is open when you re-tighten.The gears on the housing mounted to the body have a groove in it,the part that bolts to it has a key that fits into the groove.If all you did was loosen the bolts and manually move the top all should line up.I never checked the torque settings,i just tighten the bolts pretty tight.Also,i check them every few months because they do loosen over time.I hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Craig Poulsen
2nd Gear

Appreciate your help...I initially loosened the bolts with the top about 1/3 down. After I fixed the problem (blown fuse) I first tightened the bolts with the top closed, then with the top fully retracted, then (after your post) with the top in the 1/3 down position, but it just doesn't work as smoothly as before. Lots of stalling, extra noises, etc. If I had a better idea exactly what the gear/key interface looked like maybe I could figure it out. I don't want to mess up the bolt, gear, etc. I also noted cross on the head of each bold marked with a red sharpie pen. Do you think this should line up with something?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:25 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the best way to handle this without endangering your top frame is to unbolt the short arms that attach from the transmission to the rest of the top frame. Once you've been able to get those two arms moving cleanly and in sync with each other, it's probably safe to bolt the top back to the arm. You don't want to twist the top or break the frame.

Check the entry on http://p-car.com/diy/cabtop/
Old 06-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
I think the best way to handle this without endangering your top frame is to unbolt the short arms that attach from the transmission to the rest of the top frame. Once you've been able to get those two arms moving cleanly and in sync with each other, it's probably safe to bolt the top back to the arm. You don't want to twist the top or break the frame.

Check the entry on http://p-car.com/diy/cabtop/
Agree with vjd3. Follow the procedures on p-car.com and you will get it right.

I had a few issues with my top and the instuctions were very helpful. Whatever you do, don't force anything.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:28 PM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Take off the panels covering the gear housing and check all the bolts.These have a tendancy to loosen.If they are loose don't over tighten.The nuts are spot welded inside the body panels and it becomes a real challenge to secure the housing if one or more nuts break their weld.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:56 PM
victorvo
1st Gear

hi,is anyone know this problem....
i had 993 top replaced 2 months ago when i pick up the car and check the top open/close working
fine but after a month the top not open ,it just move about 1/2" away from winshield then stop,
i drove back to top installer explain to him then he try to open and it works ok so i drove home
it happens again (top not open)...
i don't know why it works then not work.....please help
thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 Cabriolet top adjustment