Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Atlanta based support network for my 993? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/358283-atlanta-based-support-network-for-my-993-a.html)

mikestash 06-11-2007 11:22 AM

Atlanta based support network for my 993?

Guys - am in process of purchasing my second 993 and am in Atlanta (first in Atlanta). Can anyone recommend any folks to become part of my support network?

Specifically:
- Good mechanics
- Good detailers
- Window tinters (i need to remove a bad tint job)
- Part places (salvage yards, etc.)
- Stereo / elecronics upgrades

I've got some milestones/work coming up since I am buying a car that is somewhat of a barn find - it needs the SAI ports cleaned, 60k service, brakes, tires, cleaning, etc.

Thanks,
Mike

Kestrel 06-12-2007 03:21 PM

I only have direct experience with mechanics and it depends on where you live b/c there's several shops around town. I've used Ryland's, which was recommended to me by another user, and have been happy with them. He's located in Marietta, (2002 Airport Industrial Pk Dr., 770-951-9305). Ryland is a great guy and they have a bunch of experience working on air cooled 911s. They also give discounts to PCA members. Make sure to call first for directions because it's a little tricky to find.

Steve

Hound Dog 06-12-2007 04:31 PM

Gran Turismo East for tires, alignment, and suspension.

insite 06-12-2007 07:49 PM

german auto dismantlers out of dahlonega for salvage parts
CarTunes for audio / electronics

TMc993 06-12-2007 10:28 PM

German Auto Dismantlers is no longer located in Dahlonega. They packed up and moved to somewhere north, Ohio I think. I'm not so sure they didn't completely get out of the dismantling business.

Reynard38 06-12-2007 10:30 PM

Mechanic: Alan Kidman at German Car repair in Roswell 770-480-7809. Very honest. His Porsche tech has over 20 years experience. He works on my 993 and is building a E30 BMW wild trackday car for me.
Detailer: Scott Dargis 770-992-5212. Scott color sanded my car as it had acid rain damage and it looks like new. He does great work.

blbman51 06-13-2007 01:20 AM

Another vote for German Car Repair. Alan and his crew were fantastic with some major service on my 944S2.

BEATSPX 06-13-2007 02:06 AM

Fortunate enough to know a very capable, incredibly knowledgeable, smart GT3 owner who swears by Kinetic Motorsports; very hooked in to the ATL network; it's only place he takes his car. Have heard, however, not the cheapest place to go (suppose cheap is relative) for expert mechanical work.

But this guy is a serious driver, intelligent and practical, down-to-earth, and has a true appreciation for Porsches.

Don't have the address readily available but their number is (770) 271-1577.

Great idea for a topic, looking forward to additional replies to learn more about where to go...
Regards,
John

p.s., Stay AWAY from Wendt Motorsports/Performance Imports, LLC, B & P Motorsports as PETER T. WENDT defrauded (stole from) me - literally - to the tune of ~$12.5k. Sued him in DeKalb County Superior Court and WON. I presented nine (9) criminal acts on his part which entitled me to civil causes of action and he had no defense to any of them (recording conversations - legal in GA - can be very useful in dealing with unscrupulous types).

I have heard this is one of dozens and dozens of times he stole from customers (including not installing parts charged for [happened to me], not returning used upgrade parts and reselling them [he also did this to me], taking good parts off of customer vehicles and reselling them, etc.).

Note: The last paragraph is based on, in part, second-hand information and should be discounted as such.

insite 06-13-2007 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by TMc993
German Auto Dismantlers is no longer located in Dahlonega. They packed up and moved to somewhere north, Ohio I think. I'm not so sure they didn't completely get out of the dismantling business.

actually they moved to helen. only like 20min from where they were before. still in the biz; was just there three weeks ago.

http://www.germanautodismantlers.com/

blaise 06-13-2007 11:55 AM

I am surprised Wendt and Performance Imports are that bad. I thought a lot of people used Peter?

prophet60091 06-13-2007 01:37 PM

I also had a not-so-great experience with Performance Imports/Peter Wendt. A friend of mine also told me he had a nightmare of an experience with them with his Boxter.

Ritter v4.0 06-13-2007 02:59 PM

Useful thread as I bought a house in Duluth in April and have been looking for a second P-Car (964 of 993) to keep there.

I don't hear anyone saying Jim Ellis or Hennesey ;)
Though Ellis did look up my remote entry code and reprogrammed the remote without my having the car present- guess I look at least semi-honest.

Csquare4 06-13-2007 04:46 PM

Just had an Alignement performed...

at Gran Turismo East, thanks to some rec's here. Great guys. They recommended Martin at Auto Europe which is right off Piedmont close to Monroe Dr. just south of I-85. Apparently Martin knows his stuff and really loves the air-cooled engine. Their website is www.autoeuropeatlanta.com

Anybody have any experience with them?

Craig

Jon 'Bama 06-13-2007 05:17 PM

I have had great experiences with Peter and Performance Imports

both with my former Boxster S and current 97 993

I have heard that recently there has been some issues, especially Since the head tech Bob left for another shop (Kinetic?)

BeatSPX, I have never heard that bad of a story with them

I have also done quite a bit with Hennessey and Ellis and been happy with everything but price

Jon

mikestash 06-13-2007 05:51 PM

Guys - thanks! Keep it coming. I saw a guy with a black 993 in the gas station yesterday and asked him where he got his car serviced. He said Martin at Auto Europe. I have spoken personally to Alan at German, John (?) at Kinetic, and Peter at Performance. Alan and John were incredibly helpful over the phone and very, very, very honest. Anyone had their SAI issues fixed by German or Kinetic? Kinetic seems very very expensive.