Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

HELP? Brake line twisted off front caliper, fab or replace? - ON BACKORDER

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:19 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP? Brake line twisted off front caliper, fab or replace? - ON BACKORDER

During my 993 suspension upgrade the hard lines between the strut and the caliper notates with the fitting (flex hose end on strut). I was able to work one slowly out but it torqued a little bit a couple of times and I don't trust it. The other one ripped right off at the fitting. I guess the age and milage on the car, the lines sort of fused with the fittings.

It's the last step to getting the car back on the road. I'm assuming the part is available from the parts houses (how I would determine the number is another issue. I'm considering fabing new ones with stock line from the local parts store, maybe.

Another concern of mine is my plan to replace the flex lines with stainless I have the PN's for those from my last project, but, if the hard line on one end twisted off, I'm not sure I want to attempt the disconnect on the body end and have one of those lines damaged. :0

Could something like break-free be safetly used on those fittings if I decided to go that route, in hopes they are not fused? The nature of the seal on those fittings makes me think that penetration oils should not be of much help.

Feedback and suggestions on fab or purchase of the lines, as well as thoughts on risk to replacing the flex lines is appreciated.

The front of the 993 is a BREEZE compared to the rear (glad I did the rear first). Took about 90 min to jack up the front, remove tires, unbolt and even installed the left side strut before it was 10:30pm and making noise in a condo after that seemed rude. In another 45 I should have the other strut in and then be staring at a completed car save for those two short brake lines.

Last edited by FotoVeloce; 06-06-2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: title change
Old 06-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

Personally, I would replace the short steel lines between the calipers and struts with new ones if they are damaged in any way.

993.355.581.01 (left)
993.355.584.01 (right)

I use rubber brake lines on these ABS-equipped cars unless they are dedicated race cars that receive a LOT of attention.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:47 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi:

Personally, I would replace the short steel lines between the calipers and struts with new ones if they are damaged in any way.

993.355.581.01 (left)
993.355.584.01 (right)

I use rubber brake lines on these ABS-equipped cars unless they are dedicated race cars that receive a LOT of attention.
Thank you Steve. I was going to replace the steel lines, I was just not sure if I should buy or ???. Thanks for the part numbers, it made the decisions very easy!
Old 06-04-2007, 01:18 AM
dsmith
Racer

i had to make one on mine when replacing the rubber lines. bought the line and bending/flare tools and had a new one on in a couple hours. if you have the time, i would just get the factory parts, though. get flare wrenches for brake lines, if you don't have already. i agree with Steve on not using SS brakelines for having better visual inspection of line condition.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:15 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Well, I ordered them but they are on a long delivery (over a week). If I need to move the car, I'm wondering about just fabbing up the parts and replacing with the factory ones at a later time. Did you buy the pre-constructed straight lines and bend or or do the double flare yourself, put in the fittings ect.? Was the double-flare tool expensive?

THX!!
Old 06-06-2007, 02:58 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Not sure what to do at this point. I talked to Sunset yesterday and they cannot get the lines for 3-6 weeks. I placed an order via Pelican (showed a 1-week delivery) but received an e-mail today that both of them are available only from Germany and at least 3 weeks out, plus additional costs.

Could a local hydralic shop make these little lines for me, perhaps? Cost is secondary to expediancy. Looking for any sage advice here... Bueller, Bueller?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:27 PM
jcoll1
Advanced

I had a similar problem with my F-150 while waiting on a hard line for the front brake system. I went to AutoZone and made a temporary one so I could move the truck out of my way. The most I moved it was 50 feet. Autozone loaned me the double flair tool.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:00 PM
dsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
Did you buy the pre-constructed straight lines and bend or or do the double flare yourself, put in the fittings ect.? Was the double-flare tool expensive?

THX!!
it's really easy. you go to a good parts store, not Autozone, and they'll help match up the threaded part. i went to Oreillys and they had a straight length with the correct threads and flare. i bought the tube cutter, bender and the decent flare tool for about $30. i'd never done it before, they helped pick out what i needed and i did one practice cut/flare, then the real thing.

here's a pic of the old and new.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/webtest..._brakeline.JPG

David
Old 06-06-2007, 06:01 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

A few days ago someone posted about using FedHill for overnight service of Cunifer (the same stuff the factory uses) lines. Some of the factory hard lines now have an additional plastic'like corrosion coating but I'm not sure about the ones you're needing.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:09 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Woo hoo. Problem solved. A buddy of mine dropped by Wednesday night and told me about Williams Oil in Tacoma (where I work). Long story short, they fabbed up a a pair of these brake lines, while I waited on my lunch hour, and for under $20. I'm going to have them make up the oil cooler lines for my 964 too. I have to bring them in for a quote but from what I've been told it's a hell of a lot cheaper and I can get it done right there, on the spot. Watched them make all sorts of cool stuff while I was there.

I'll be cancelling my order and installing the brake lines some time today.

Quick Reply: HELP? Brake line twisted off front caliper, fab or replace? - ON BACKORDER