Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can supercharged 993 pass CA smog test

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:55 PM
avidtest
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my old bmw 540 was supercharged. It didn't pass visual at the 1st shop. $100 later plus smog cert fee at the 2nd shop and I was good to go. A very small price to pay considering what you're going to pay for a supercharger anyway.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:11 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by America
I believe they looking for aftermarket exhausts and to see if the cats are still installed. You don't want a loud exhaust is Cali.
The last 2 inspections the didn't ask about my Supercups (and the first time I was running them w/o baffles ) nor about my airbox

A lot are generally clueless about rear engine Porsches and some will look for cats under the middle part of the car
Old 05-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A supercharged car will not pass the smog or visual test, but I found out not too many smog center know very much about Porsches. If they ask "is the engine a 12 cylinder" its a good bet you will pass with a supercharger. I believe they looking for aftermarket exhausts and to see if the cats are still installed. You don't want a loud exhaust is Cali.
really?

my old car passed a few smogs with fabspeed supercups on.......you wanna talk about LOUD?...........
Old 05-04-2007, 11:40 AM
America
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

My main point is that most smog guys don't know anything about Porsche's. You will pass regardless on how much you have in aftermarket parts. In regards to a loud exhaust, most other cars would not pass.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
You should see them looking around the engine compartment for the proper smog goodies.....what a joke!
Isn't that the truth!

Last time I went, the guy was looking for a certain filter, he looked all over the car, front trunk, underneath, engine compartment. Finally he gave up. I think even if you didn't have cats on they couldn't figure it out. All depends where you go. Just take it to a local gas station that has been looking at Hondas and Toyotas all day long.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

You will pass regardless on how much you have in aftermarket parts.
And if you happen to get sent to at test only station where the inspector, or even some guy hanging around waiting for his car to get done, knows there aren't superchargers on these cars, then America will pay the fine for you.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:51 PM
America
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Just send me the bill.

Quick Reply: Can supercharged 993 pass CA smog test