Check engine light came on last night

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 06:14 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check engine light came on last night

I cranked up my 95 model and the yellow check engine light came on . I of course got that "oh great" feeling, and it went out . It was only on for a few seconds (just long enough for me to kinda freak) . I drove off and it didnt come back on. I was watching for it just thanking my luck stars thay its not a 96 model.
I am assuming if it were a 96 it would have stayed on.
Side note, my birthday is in a couple of weeks, so I have to get emmissions tests to get a tag so this would have been a BAD time for the light to come on and stay on.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I would have it checked and see what code it threw if you can get a ready easily so you can see what was thrown. It might hint at a loose connector or a part that is failing. I like to be proactive about things like this since you don't want to have it fail and strand you (but don't worry too much!).

Wether is stays on or off is dependant on the fault not if its a 96+. The difference is the 96+ checks more things and the rules for CEL trigger are tighter.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-28-2007, 10:30 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Michael,
Check Engine Light, Schmeck Engine Light.

Let's see a pic of that Kaiser M35A2!

Andreas
Old 04-29-2007, 12:29 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

To check your code,

...fully depress the accelerator pedal for 3 seconds with the engine off and the ignition on until the Check-Engine lamp flashes. Then ease off the throttle.
If no fault is stored, i.e. no warning came from the warning lamp, a flashing code appears...

No fault would show as 1-5 (long light, pause, 1 short, pause, 5 shorts)
A bad Oxygen sensor is 1-1-2-4

My bet... if you were sitting and idling when the CEL came on and it went away after driving off... would be the oxygen sensor. Pretty easy replacement and about a $100 part.

If you want to fully clear your fault code to see what comes back, turn key to ON but not started and fully depress accellerator for >11 seconds. You should be back to a 1-5 clear.

Quick Reply: Check engine light came on last night