993 Forum 1995-1998

Great deal on HIDs!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 03:23 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Great deal on HIDs!!

I found a great deal on HID's that come with a lifetime warranty for $325 shipped plus 10% off for new customers, so I ended up paying $293 out the door!!!! I put these on my girlfriends A4 and I'm thinking about putting a set on my 993 as well. Anyone up for a group buy? If enough people are interested, I'll see if I can contact the company and set something up.

http://www.khoalty.com/bmw_e46_lights.html

As usual, no affiliation, just sharing a good deal.

UPDATE: I'm going to start a list of potential buyers below. Also, does anyone know the proper procedures to setup a group buy on rennlist?

1. KraZy007
2. 95FL993CAB
3. Land Jet

Last edited by MrRoboto; 04-28-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:30 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it fits properly, I am in.
Ron
Old 04-28-2007, 11:16 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These look just like the set that I bought off of an eBay seller (yes, in China). They were $155 shipped. I had some trouble with defective ballasts but ended up getting it resolved. It took way too long and much negotiation. I would not buy from the same seller again but these kits are likely coming out of the same factory. There are numerous Chinese sellers selling this on eBay.

If I were to do it again I would buy from a supplier in the US to make dealing with problems easier. Shipping was the main point of contention and sending things back to China in this case was very cost prohibitive. We ended up working it out but it took over a month.

They appear to be the Phillips-style ballasts and I would not be too surprised in Phillips sources them from the same place. Based on my experience I am sure quality control is better via Phillips.

All of that said, I am very happy with the results. These light are awesome. I wnet with the 4300K bulbs and they are bright!

Just thought I'd toss this out there in case anyone was thinking of buying from Chinese sellers.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard that the wrong after market HID's can melt 993 headlight lenses. Anyone know anything about this?

I would be interested if it's compatible.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:24 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I have heard that the wrong after market HID's can melt 993 headlight lenses. Anyone know anything about this?

I would be interested if it's compatible.
Many here are using these same sets or other versions with the same power. I have yet to see a post regarding a melted lens, probably because they are glass
The housing and other parts are plastic... but no melting.
Actually, if you search this forum, a really smart guy here (I found out too late!) mounted the ballast INSIDE the lens assembly. Very cool.
We did some testing and determined that the ballasts themselves do not put off too much heat to do this. The style of ballast is like the one above, "Phillips-style".
If I were to do it again this is the route I would go.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see two sets on the site. What is the difference? Does anyone know?

Hope to have found a set for $200 or a little under but if that falls through this may be the way to go.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:59 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like the less costly set has a 2 year warranty whereas the pricer set has a lifetime warranty, but other than that, i'm not sure. I'll try to get an answer on that and update the thread.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:55 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Originally Posted by MarkD
Actually, if you search this forum, a really smart guy here (I found out too late!) mounted the ballast INSIDE the lens assembly. Very cool.
Ah shucks Mark... I'm embarrased now ....

Here's the thread with the pictures...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/336973-aftermarket-hids.html

$300 does seem a little pricy to me though..
Old 04-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

They look exactly like the ones I got for about $160, including shipping to the UK, off of E-bay; you are just paying the middle man...
Old 04-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I thought the ones from Vertex where much cheaper than that....I can't remember what I paid but it was just over $200 I think...they seem to work fine.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I would stick with Vertex if you are in the US. Their customer service is great if you have issues. DO a search & you will find a lot of us have installed the HID kit from Vertex.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Changed my mind. I'm going to look for less expensive choice. Slppery slope project #7 at present.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Rudolph
Advanced

I bought the same HIDs recommended by Caveman. Mine were $155.00 delivered. The install took about 2 hours (see pic: ballast trunk install using ballast brackets provided with kit). Mine have worked great for the month that I have used them.
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2007, 03:56 PM
guiness
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a HID kit for my corvette that I never installed. I wonder if there is any chance at all it would work in the 993. I will have to look into it. It would save me some $$$.

If it does not, I would be interested in a group buy for a proven HID kit.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:07 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
We did some testing and determined that the ballasts themselves do not put off too much heat to do this. The style of ballast is like the one above, "Phillips-style".
If I were to do it again this is the route I would go.
+1. Clive's mounting of the ballast inside the lense is freaking brilliant. Made me feel like an idiot for mounting mine in the trunk, which was a PITA and looks unsightly.

Some lotus owners use this kit, which is pricey but has a tiny ballast that would definitely fit in the lense:
Lotus HID kit

Quick Reply: Great deal on HIDs!!