Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Great deal on HIDs!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I got my set from Flashplus, EBay for ~$120 shipped. I also conducted tests with an IR radiometer and found that the ballasts only got to a max of 117 F, on the passenger side, and concluded that that was NOT due to the ballast, but the oil line behind it. I followed GRMNXRTC's install and mounted the ballst INSIDE the headlight, very neat and tidy, with the right plugs, the whole thing is completely removable in ~15 minutes. I carry spare bulbs in the car for an emergency.

FWIW, I saw a car with factory litronic lights at the shop yesterday. The factory system mounts the ballasts inside the trunk, the difference being, that system has a separate ballast and ignitor. most boxes now days (advances in technology) have the ignitor and ballast in one, smaller box. Incidentally, the FACTORY ballast says right on the side "MADE IN CHINA".

The Flashplus system looks like a Hella ballast, and says "Hella Technology" on the side, but if you look more closely, it has "exsun" printed on the side. exsun is the company that makes the vertex ballasts, so I figure these things are like TV tubes, and are really made by 1 or 2 companies, and then packaged differently.

To fit the ballast inside, the ballast must be about 3x3.5x1 inches, and some plastic may have to be trimmed from the inside of the back of the headlight. I needed to file the hole for the bulb a little bit to get the Xenon bulb to fit also.

I went with the 4300K bulbs, very white, but will make your fogs look yellow, so you may want to change them as well.
I opted to install new lenses at the same time. I added an inline 10A fuse between the factory harness and the HID kit, in case the ballast shorts or something catastophic happens, thus the fuse should blow, and hopefully not melt things.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:28 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that for low and high beams or just low beams?
I am doing a fog light delete in any case, so that does not affect me.
thanks
Ron
Old 05-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Most only do the low beams. Since HIDs need a few seconds to come to full illumination, they don't work for "flashing". I did change my high beam bulb to the Sylvania whites, so they would look the same, but to be honest with you, I never use my Highs anymore.
There is no reason you couldn't do the High beams, aside from needing extra space for 2 ballasts on each side, but that would be WAAY over kill.
the Flashplus system that I got looks exactly like the the one in Rudolph's post above. I had good service from them, and would buy from them again. They are in china somewhare, but it took only about 4-5 days for my kit to come. if you search the archive for HID install, there are severl threads and great info. GRMNXTC posted a full color set of photos of his install, which I followed, works great!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:53 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON...06168921QQrdZ1
so the link above is what I would need for my car?
Where did you get the Sylvania white bulbs if you do not mind sharing?
Thanks again
ron
Old 05-02-2007, 06:58 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON...06168921QQrdZ1
so the link above is what I would need for my car?
Where did you get the Sylvania white bulbs if you do not mind sharing?
Thanks again
ron
Ron, yep. that is the same kit I bought for a bit more from another seller.

FYI, there is a relay and wiring harness in this kit you will not need for our application. You only need to specify bulb color and type when ordering. I also installed 4300K bulbs... very bright white
Old 05-02-2007, 08:05 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Originally Posted by TheOtherEricSome lotus owners use this kit, which is pricey but has a tiny ballast that would definitely fit in the lense:
[URL=http://www.sector111.com/handler.cfm?cat_id=20220&cat_id=23524&prod_id=3060&function=product
Lotus HID kit[/URL]
Eric,

You should point those Lotus owners here then to save them some money....

http://www.corner73.com/product_info...roducts_id=220

Man those Ballasts are tiny!!! Those would be an easy fit behind the lense.

You might also be able to do High and Low beams with them double stacked... hhmmm....
Old 05-02-2007, 08:55 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Stupid question but....what kind of bulbs do I need?
Ron
Old 05-02-2007, 09:01 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
Stupid question but....what kind of bulbs do I need?
Ron
H1, sorry, I should have posted this before.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:48 PM
mborkow
Drifting

when it comes to HIDs, the piece of advise i wish someone had given to me is: take whatever $ you were planning on spending on aftermarket HIDs and use it on a pair of genuine litronics (and yes --i know how much those cost).
Old 05-02-2007, 10:35 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Alright, I bought it...wish me luck
Ron
Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

I got the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs for the High beams, got them off ebay for about $24 for the pair, but you can also get them at most local auto parts stores.

I highly recommend putting a fuse between the HID kit where it connects to the factory +12v side, IN CASE the ballast goes bad or shorts out, that way the fuse will kill power (current actually) to the circuit and not fry anything. I know someone on this list had a ballast go bad and had it get VERY HOT. I got a fuse holder from Kragen for about $4, and put 10A fuses in them.

Part of my experiment I also measured the current draw of the HID Kit, it was just under 4Amps, so 10 should be plenty.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:49 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

So mborkow, you didn't explain yourself. What gives? What's wrong with the aftermarkets?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mborkow
when it comes to HIDs, the piece of advise i wish someone had given to me is: take whatever $ you were planning on spending on aftermarket HIDs and use it on a pair of genuine litronics (and yes --i know how much those cost).

and why is this exactly? Im purchasing HID's shortly and this is a great thread but this has me worried so to speak.....
Old 05-02-2007, 11:54 PM
mborkow
Drifting

i've burned through a few bulbs and a ballast in a short period of time (~2 years)...i do use them a lot though: ~2 hours a day 5 days a week. in anycase, i've spent ~ $600 on HIDs so far (the last time i burned a ballast i ordered a whole 2nd kit figuring the bulb on that side wouldn't be too far behind). i can't help but think that the litronics would be higher quality.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:16 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mborkow
i've burned through a few bulbs and a ballast in a short period of time (~2 years)...i do use them a lot though: ~2 hours a day 5 days a week. in anycase, i've spent ~ $600 on HIDs so far (the last time i burned a ballast i ordered a whole 2nd kit figuring the bulb on that side wouldn't be too far behind). i can't help but think that the litronics would be higher quality.
which ballasts?

Quick Reply: Great deal on HIDs!!