993 Forum 1995-1998

Big Oval Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 380 Posts
Default Big Oval Fitment

I recently purchased big ovals from Sunset and had my mechanic install them today while the car was in the shop for a few other things (to include LPMM).

When I got home from work today, he had already dropped the car off and I was surprised by the fitment. After looking them over, he has one sticking out farther than the other (by about 3/8 inch) so I will have to get that adjusted. However, I was surprised that they stuck out at all.

My previous motorsound tips pretty much fit flush. These stick out 1 inch on the driver's side and 5/8 inch on the passenger side. Clearly they should both be the same, but what is the appropriate "stick-out" amount?

Thanks

Rob
Attached Images     
Old 04-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 380 Posts

Why are my pics so sh#tty? I have a new Canon Powershot S3IS - nothing is working for me today!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:16 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

before my last muffler mod they fitted almost flush, now one sticks out a lil more than the other - not as much as yours though...
Old 04-27-2007, 08:18 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

see post #123

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ss#post4057610
Old 04-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Actually yours look like they are sitting too high. They should stick out about 1/2 inch and have a 1/2 gap around the opening of the bumper. Here is a pic of my old car.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

There is practically zero adjustment available in the fore/aft direction as the location of the mufflers is determined by the cat exit pipe .... which determines where the muffler exit pipe sits .... to which the tip is clamped.
As my wide O's were the NB type (EP5110) , the muffler outlets were cut and rotated** 180 deg to accommodate the WB offset: this was an opportunity to adjust their lengths to equalize the two tips to the rear cover prior to welding ...... or they would otherwise have been visibly unequal. The adjustment was ~+1/2" extra on the right.

( ** this also trimmed my LPMM bypass pipes 35mm/side - to be the shortest in the business: perhaps this is a case where 'short' is good ).
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

I agree with Scott.

My by pass pipes caused this because they were too close to the bumper....

When I run mufflers - then they sit like the third foto....

And yes it does take some dong - but you can match them up - there are 2 points for adjustment - between the tip and the muffler and also between the muffler and the cat outlet.

Best,

Simon.
Attached Images    
Old 04-27-2007, 08:53 PM
WarpMan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pegasis0066
Why are my pics so sh#tty? I have a new Canon Powershot S3IS - nothing is working for me today!
pegasis,
Check your speed setting (equivalent ISO film speed). You might have it set at the high end. I see the same thing (I presume you're referring to the graininess in the images) on my digital SLRs when I run at a high ISO for low light conditions. They clean up when I shoot at my normal ISO 100.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:16 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Bradford]Actually yours look like they are sitting too high. They should stick out about 1/2 inch and have a 1/2 gap around the opening of the bumper. Here is a pic of my old car.

QUOTE]

ok, I fitted them based upon how others looked...I'll adjust accordingly.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
There is practically zero adjustment available in the fore/aft direction as the location of the mufflers is determined by the cat exit pipe .... which determines where the muffler exit pipe sits .... to which the tip is clamped.
As my wide O's were the NB type (EP5110) , the muffler outlets were cut and rotated** 180 deg to accommodate the WB offset: this was an opportunity to adjust their lengths to equalize the two tips to the rear cover prior to welding ...... or they would otherwise have been visibly unequal. The adjustment was ~+1/2" extra on the right.

( ** this also trimmed my LPMM bypass pipes 35mm/side - to be the shortest in the business: perhaps this is a case where 'short' is good ).
Garth is correct. Our NA wide bodies have their own special offset. NB's & Turbo's have the same off set. It's weird you would think that Turbos and NA WB would be the same, but acutally Turbo's and NB are the same. The NA WB offset is pictured on the right. Everybody else's tips (probably including your big ovals) don't have that offset as pictured on the left. That's what is creating your problem and Garth's solution is the only one I know of to get big ovals to look correct on a WB NA.
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2007, 01:20 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pm sent
Old 04-28-2007, 01:24 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this problem when one tip sticks out more than the other. The problem turned out to be the way the muffler itself is mounted on the hanger. The muffler strapp was a bit off and caused the tip to stick forward a bit. I loosened the muffler strap and the muffler to cat connection. Readjusted the muffler and everything lined up.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:57 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by axl911
I had this problem when one tip sticks out more than the other. The problem turned out to be the way the muffler itself is mounted on the hanger. The muffler strapp was a bit off and caused the tip to stick forward a bit. I loosened the muffler strap and the muffler to cat connection. Readjusted the muffler and everything lined up.
exactly..that's why one of mine protrude more than the other since I did my LPMM...I knew I could of push the one muffler forward some.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:58 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Garth is correct. Our NA wide bodies have their own special offset. NB's & Turbo's have the same off set. It's weird you would think that Turbos and NA WB would be the same, but acutally Turbo's and NB are the same. The NA WB offset is pictured on the right. Everybody else's tips (probably including your big ovals) don't have that offset as pictured on the left. That's what is creating your problem and Garth's solution is the only one I know of to get big ovals to look correct on a WB NA.
Hey..those are my old and new tips.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Hey..those are my old and new tips.
Trinitony-Couldn't remember where I got that pic, thanks for reminding me!! They helped a ton when I was hunting down some chrome (motorsound) tips for my wide body.

Quick Reply: Big Oval Fitment