993 Forum 1995-1998

Low mileage 96 C4

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:26 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low mileage 96 C4

I live in a rural area of Canada and dont have a lot of access to Porsches . Have been a member of Rennlist for the last few months and have followed lots of of postings. Have been following Porsches on the internet and have found one that is interesting in So. Cal. but have concerns about its actual lack of use. It is a 96 C4 with 36,500 miles, three owner with all service records. First owner bought in 1996, kept car for 4 years and only put 5,000 miles on it (garage queen). Second owner put 10,000 miles on it over the next year. Third owner (current owner) then purchased the car and had the 30,000 mile maintenance down at a Porsche dealer even with the low mileage. Current owner has put 20,000 miles on the car over the last 6 years and had the 30,000 mile servicing done again in Sept of 1995. He hasnt driven the car a lot since then. The owner said the the car has never leaked oil or fluids and looks brand new in and out. Should I have concerns about the car being used infrequently for long periods of time? Prior to purchase I would have a PPI and leakdown test done.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:07 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can see why AWD might be appealing in Canada.

I think that car has been "driven" sufficiently and may have received very good care. The "no leaks" part means that at least some of the major seals are doing their job.

What are they asking for it?

Make sure your PPI has Hammer/PST2 to check and see if any CEL codes have been thrown.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:42 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First welcome Terbil .
Have you had experience with importing a USA car into Canada ?
Registar of Imported Vehicle ( RIV) check out www.riv.ca . I imported mine from Washington State no problem .
Second are you aware of the porsche gathering in your town coming up ?
http://www.pca-cwr.org/index.php?mod...endar&calendar[view]=event&id=87 you will have to click on May calendar and the date May 11th through 13th
The car sounds ok put pending a very throughout independent PPI you do not
know . Just ask lots of questions and you should enjoy the whole experience
of buying a great car .

Cheers Guy
Old 05-03-2007, 02:16 AM
martyp
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Terbil -

My 96 C4 sounds very similar to what you describe. Just turned over 31K. The only real issues with mine have been a failed third brake light, a split spolier wall, and a lot of rock chips (courtesy of the rocky mountain west). No leaks, noises, or other oddities at all. If the car matches your desires as far as options, color, etc. then test drive (or have a fellow 'lister go over it) and get a PPI. Make any decisions based upon all of the data you can get and you won't go wrong.

Cheers and good luck!

Quick Reply: Low mileage 96 C4