Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Update on Fabspeed G.B. and Cat Bypass pipes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:01 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Cool Update on Fabspeed G.B. and Cat Bypass pipes...

I will be working with a chap who is going to help me set up a formal group buy. He seems to have his act together...I have seen his work.

The Cat Bypass pipes....I can now report on three (3) days of racing with these pipes on my car. I was out to Willow Springs Int. Raceway this past weekend, Fri- Sun, lots of track time.

The sound is very nice, cat bypass into RSR mufflers...I may have a clip tomorrow. The cars seems to breath better under lower rev situations that would not occur if I had a close ration gear box.

High speed, 3rd - 5th....outstanding..lots of torque when going through the gears AND:
1. You can hold a conversation in the car on the street as long as you are not pegging the throttle to the floor,
2. I have NOT had a CEL. I have the inner O2 sensors connected, and the outers disconnected....no CEL.

Maybe Fabspeed should have a set of demo pipes...You try them out, if you like them, you get a brand new set...just pay the shipping both ways on the trial pipes. If you put thm on your car, I am certain you'll order a set.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:07 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Martin: Will there be a GB sport cat option with say 100 and 200 cell cats? Would love to hear the clip with RSRs if you can manage to post. Lastly, what do you mean by "The cars seems to breath better under lower rev situations that would not occur if I had a close ration gear box."? Do you have a close ratio gear box? Am I understanding correctly that with a close ratio gear box, the car will not "breath better" under lower revs with the cat bypas?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:32 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool And the answer is!!!

Fabspeed sells 200 cell cats. I talked to Joe Fabiani...he has a very good reason for 200 VS the 100; it sounded convincing to me. I may just get a set of 200 cell cats someday.

I'll post the clip when it comes in.

We as above, "Lastly, what do you mean by "The cars seems to breath better under lower rev situations that would not occur if I had a close ration gear box."? Do you have a close ratio gear box? Am I understanding correctly that with a close ratio gear box, the car will not "breath better" under lower revs with the cat bypass?"

I was in a turn (Top of the Omega at Willow Springs)...the turn is to fast to use second gear...but in 3rd gear, the car seems to be almost lugging...it's not really. I have a stock motor and tranny...no close ratio box for me. I would like to put in a Guard LSD to replace my factory LSD.

If I had a close ratio tranny, I'd could come throug under more ideal RPMs...

Old 04-23-2007, 04:40 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I have NOT had a CEL. I have the inner O2 sensors connected, and the outers disconnected....no CEL.
Are you running an aftermarket ECU upgrade/chip?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Gotcha. Please post if the 200 cell cats become part of the GB.

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Fabspeed sells 200 cell cats. I talked to Joe Fabiani...he has a very good reason for 200 VS the 100; it sounded convincing to me. I may just get a set of 200 cell cats someday.

I'll post the clip when it comes in.

We as above, "Lastly, what do you mean by "The cars seems to breath better under lower rev situations that would not occur if I had a close ration gear box."? Do you have a close ratio gear box? Am I understanding correctly that with a close ratio gear box, the car will not "breath better" under lower revs with the cat bypass?"

I was in a turn (Top of the Omega at Willow Springs)...the turn is to fast to use second gear...but in 3rd gear, the car seems to be almost lugging...it's not really. I have a stock motor and tranny...no close ratio box for me. I would like to put in a Guard LSD to replace my factory LSD.

If I had a close ratio tranny, I'd could come throug under more ideal RPMs...

Old 04-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are the RSR's required for the cat bypass? I would assume not but just want to be sure.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool The Cat By Pass...

are completely in dependent of the mufflers used. I just happen to have the Robin Sun RSR mufflers.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how will they sound with the stock mufflers? Does anyone run this setup? Looking for a bit more noise from the back but didn't have any plans to upgrade the mufflers right now. Down the line I'm sure I will though
Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool Response on aftermarket ECU

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Are you running an aftermarket ECU upgrade/chip?
Answer: No on the aftermarket ECU...all stock.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have Cargraphic 100 cell sports cats and RSRs. If you want to hear what they sound like (and should be similar to cat-bypass and RSRs) then see my putfile site on my signature. It's addictive when you get that race car scream!

Cheers,

David
Old 04-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
how will they sound with the stock mufflers? Does anyone run this setup? Looking for a bit more noise from the back but didn't have any plans to upgrade the mufflers right now. Down the line I'm sure I will though
Yes, I run stock mufflers and Fabspeed bypass, I posted some sound just sitting in the driveway in the other thread. You get more sound but not too much. I also have RSRs but don't run them as there is too much noise at WOT.

Stock/Fabspeed bypass is LRP legal(barely)
RSR/Fabspeed bypass is not LRP legal(by a lot)
Old 04-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Just checking in on the GB

Any news?

Matt
Old 04-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool I'll get cracking....

sorry for the delay...
Old 04-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts
Default No worries...

..my hearing can enjoy a few more weeks of Motorsound quiet before the assault begins!

Supercups here I come!!!

Old 04-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

I love my Cat Bypass pipes....I bought them used, paid for them with my hard earned cash, no freebie from Joe Fabiani. If you install them and don't like them, I'll really be surprised.

Quick Reply: Update on Fabspeed G.B. and Cat Bypass pipes...