Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Turbo Ducts with RUF Aux Oil Cooler

Old 04-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Ducts with RUF Aux Oil Cooler

Working to prepare for the (very) hot Summer weather, installed the RUF aux oil cooler and have attempted to install/fit the MA Shaw Turbo Ducts. Problem is that the back of the light body interferes with the top oil fitting on the new cooler. So it seems that the light included in the MA Shaw ducts will not work with the RUF cooler.

Researched posts on other ducts, those without the light (since I don't want a yellow 5W light in any case). But the ducts without lights seem to require that the bumperettes be removed. Is there one that will work with bumperettes?

I guess the other option would be to run the MA Shaw ducts without the lights but that might look a bit odd?
Old 04-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

ca993twin and I have the same lightless ducts, and I have the Cargraphic oil cooler, which should be the same as the RUF one. I got my ducts off of ebay from Better Bodies, IIRC.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Thanks Mark, I could not tell from the BetterBodies on line catalog if the "3.8 RSR Air Ducts" on page 20 would fit a std 993 bumper cover with bumperettes still in place.

I will call them Monday.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Oh, BTW, I still have the bumperettes...

Good luck.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:23 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

How about TechArt's ducts?
Ask them for specification...
Old 04-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Default Update

Techart requires bumperette removal which I am not doing yet. Spoke with Better Bodies and they said theirs will work with the bumperettes. When I asked them if they would require fitting, they said I would have to "make a hole"..... Not sure what that means but I ordered them so we shall see.

This means I have a set of new unused MA Shaw ducts with the 55W fog lights if anybody is interested.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:24 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sumtoc
Techart requires bumperette removal which I am not doing yet. ....
Not always. I have Techart fog lights WITH brake ducts AND a Ruf/Cargraphics aux oil cooler.

<----As you can see, it fits. It was pretty tight though.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Well, crap.... that was what the TA dealer told me on the phone. Kinda thought the Techart would be a better quality piece so was hoping it would work. Guess all these TA guys are not really that interested in selling the smaller, less expensive products......
Old 04-24-2007, 06:54 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sumtoc
Well, crap.... that was what the TA dealer told me on the phone. Kinda thought the Techart would be a better quality piece so was hoping it would work. Guess all these TA guys are not really that interested in selling the smaller, less expensive products......
Indeed, Techart is DEFINITELY a better quality piece. In fact, they set the standard for aftermarket 993 parts, and these brake ducts are no exception.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Better Bodies ducts...

They work just fine for me...see the ducts in "Old Guy's" photo!
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2007, 10:05 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having or not having bumperettes should not affect your choice of ducts...the bumperettes (IIRC) only affect what size corner lights you can use. The choice of ducts is the same whether you have a US-spec or Euro-spec (ie not bumperettes) 993.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Default BB ducts came into today,

and there is no comparison in fit and finish between the Better Bodies and the Shaw pieces. But the upside is that the BB ducts should capture a bit more cooling air. So while I can probably get them to work they will need some convincing and fiddling no doubt. I enjoy the wrenching and believe I have moderately good skills there, but really dislike body work....

Mark, Martin, need some advice on fitting these please. The wide "flap" appears to fit under the bumpertte? If so, I assume that holes are needed for the bumperett bolts? Any other tips or suggestions? Other trimming, fitting, finishing you would recommend?
Old 04-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Default Bump

Looking for input from Mark and Martin or others that have fitted/installed BB ducts.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Sorry, missed the earlier post. I had my shop paint and install the ducts, so I have no idea how they go in. The shop did say that the ducts needed a fair bit of work to make right. Hope that helps a little.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Default Well, got them in.....

but cutting, filing and drilling required. Not rocket science by any stretch but kind of a PITA for a rookie body guy. Took about 3 hrs total, less than 30 min for the second one. Not only because it was the second one but it required much less fitting and adjusting. These things are pretty basic and I guess for the price ($89 plus shipping) you get what you pay for.

Took some pics if anyone is interested but not real complicated stuff when you remove your lights, lay these in and think about it a bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo Ducts with RUF Aux Oil Cooler