993 Forum 1995-1998

The C4S has arrived... long w/a couple of photos

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Butzi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The C4S has arrived... long w/a couple of photos

Well, after a long wait, troppo's '98 C4S finally arrived in SF. What an amazing sight! Intercity delivered a day ahead of schedule, so I was ecstatic. Nice people who kept in contact with me every few days. No problems at all.

Please keep in mind while reading my following thoughts that I live in a City. Not only a city, but one with crappy drivers and many hills...Also, this will be my daily driver, I'm in residential real estate which means I drive all over town, but have a SUV for multiple passenger situations.

Thoughts:
She's beautiful. Oh, so beautiful! My neighbor came out yesterday and told me how much more he likes the look of the 993 versus the 996 I had for a short time. Leaving it parked on the street while running around town is nerve-racking, but I can't sweat it. I'm getting complements from strangers, and looks from passer-bys. Sorry, ladies, I'm married. Yes, it has the smell I wanted, and the interior is in excellent condition.

Is there a "Jane Fonda Workouts for 911 Owners" DVD? I need to hit the gym and get my abs beefed up! I'm 6'1" and pushing 250 (ok, over), but athletic, kind of a linebacker. This ain't no wussy's automobile. You've got to be on top of her, steering/pedals/posture... if Barry Bonds can forward me the number to the BLACO labs, I'd appreciate it.

Exhaust:
The GHL exhaust is purrfect! A nice deep rumbling at startup/idle, and throaty as the revs increase. It is all that I would ever want. My wife even mentioned she likes the rumbling & sputtering so much more than the 996.

I have not been able to really let her go yet, as I am still in break-in period just passing 89,000 miles today (kidding). Actually, I have no plates or paperwork yet from the broker who did the deal for us, so getting pulled over would be time-consuming and a general pain in the ****.

Suspension:
Ok, here's where I'll hear from the people who have never driven in SF. It's LOW! I mean real low. The Bilstein HD/MO30 set-up rocks while driving, I have no issues with the feel. However, I can't drive it up to my garage, at any angle! SCRAPE!!! Oh, thank God for the Front Protection Bar! I had to drive down the block to someone else's driveway, while emitting a slightly less loud scraping noise, and drive along the sidewalk to get to my garage (the sidewalk is three-times as wide as the typical ones, so I'm lucky there). That wouldn't be the worst issue in the world, but there are enough speed-bumps and other driveways and public parking garages I'll have to navigate here, so I'll give it a month or so before taking it to the shop to raise it up some (and then re-align, right?). "Blasphemy!" I can already hear the screams...

I've got 996TT wheels on there and they look great!

Transmission:
Just like any other 993 I've driven, I love it. Very telepathic with no confusion on which gate the gear is being put in. Had some issues stalling in reverse, maybe I'm just out-of-practice. I will say, though, that I will never look down upon, or consider someone with a tipronic a lesser enthusiast than someone with a manual. Ever! Driving for longer trips, I prefer the manual, but for the first time in my life, I actually would consider the benefits of the Tip in city driving. That, and I don't think my wife will ever get the hang of this tranny. She burnt my clutch on my '01 VW GTI years ago, and that was such an easy car to drive. We share our garage with the upstairs neighbor (my brother), and it's "tandem" parking, so moving around the cars happens frequently, and I'm not always around to assist.

Steering:
Heavier than the C2s (not "S") I've driven, but precise. A few sets of pushups are on the "to-do" list.

Brakes:
"Hello! Big Reds!" Other drivers, please increase your trailing distance, I can stop MUCH faster that you!!! Heavy pedal feel, I like it!

Power:
Yes, thank you, up with olives.

Summary from 70 miles... I knew the 993 was the Porsche I wanted, and I was right. I like the virtues of all-wheel drive, but, having driven only C2s previously, I am debating on whether the "4" will be useful/necessary for my style & driving needs. I think for my city driving, the lighter weight of the "2" and it's driving dynamics would suffice--same goes for the tranny, I can't believe I said that, though. I'll give it a few months to see how "used" to it I get. I think I'm just getting older and/or more impatient.

Any input from experts regarding things I should do to the car since it has spent it's whole life at higher elevations (Denver)? Will the computer readjust on its own?

Now, a couple of photos from the delivery:

Proud dad and his favorite alarm clock:

Last edited by Butzi; 04-16-2007 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:47 PM
911scTarga
Advanced

Looks beautiful! congratulations!!! Great looking alarm clock too.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:48 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

congrats, beauuuuuty
Old 04-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see you and your Porsche together. She's a beaut (car and daughter). I don't envy you trying to keep her pristine in the city. I spent six years in SF driving a 944, and she took a beating. I actually downgraded to a Chevy Sprint for driving in town, just so I could always find a parking spot.
Enjoy the ride!!!
Mark
Old 04-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 1,710 Posts

She's stunning! Enjoy her in good health.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:31 PM
BrokenE
Instructor

Super nice...congrats.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:35 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Congrats...............she's a beauty.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Congrats!!! The shots of the car coming off of the transporter are just like unwrapping a present, a 3000lb, 272 hp, oil-filled present, that is.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:54 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

A couple of beauties ... great story ... solid perspective on the car ...
Old 04-15-2007, 05:18 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats, Jeff. The car is beautiful. Thanks for the pics.

Dan
Old 04-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations Jeff....it's a beautiful car. Nice to see another addition to the Bay Area Rennlist community.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:33 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I miss her looking at those pics
but happy she is going to a good home.
BTW, if the row ride height is too low for you...I'll take the springs off your hands if you want to go with the stock ones (I still have them)

enjoy!
Old 04-15-2007, 06:57 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

Congrats, she is very pretty. I'm sure your daughter will enjoy riding as much as my son does. Have fun, that feeling and smile will be on your face for quite a while.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:12 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Way to go, Jeff... beautiful. Congrats.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Congrats Jeff... glad everything worked out for you.

Quick Reply: The C4S has arrived... long w/a couple of photos