993 Forum 1995-1998

first HPDC

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default first HPDC

Went to my first HPDC event at Summit Point Raceway and what a blast! Not only the parade of P-car variety but great people and of course on track time. My hat is off to the Potomac Porsche Club for the totally professional handling of the days goings on, and many thanks to the volunteers who gave of their time to make it happen.
I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of my TPC supercharged 993 as was my instructor. I don't think he expected the rush of riding the wave of boost that car puts out. Even though I drive the car aggressively on the street, once it warmed up and did a number of laps on track, I too was loving punching the gas coming out of the turns down the two straights and riding that sling shot effect. Must be what surfers feel on a big wave. The only comparison that I can make is to a turbo car I drove many years ago.
While doing the acceleration and emergency braking exercises, my engine oil temp gauge went up to a 6 on the 10 scale and my check engine light came on temporarily a few times upon returning to the waiting line. I pressed the accelerator down to 2500 RPM for 20 or 30 seconds and the light would go out. It never happened later in the day or during track laps. I asked around and got 2 responses. First was it could be an oxygen sensor and the second was that an auxiliary oil cooler may be needed to handle the SC heat. Any thoughts, opinions, or similar experiences from you more experienced guys?
Needless to say, I have swallowed the hook big time and will be doing many more of these events.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Congrats on your first HPDC! Hope to see you at some DE's.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Mark! You will definitely see me there. My instructor advised me to do some more short track events before trying the Shenandoah course, his reason being the number of turns being involved and remembering them all. What say you? My thought was, let me jump in!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

You were on the Jefferson circuit, right? JC doesn't get too much action, so maybe look for the Summit main track events. The main track is not so hard that it'll be impossible for a new driver to learn, but there are many places that can bite you hard, T3, T4 and T9 being the worst of them.

I've never been to Shenandoah so can't comment about what's like to drive but have seen lots of video and have noted the many turns. Honestly, Shenandoah has very little appeal for me since there are so many concrete walls around. Watkins Glen has armco that is just as close, if not closer, but it has an entirely different feel. SC has never captured my interest very much.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:55 AM
997Heaven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Land Jet

I too had a great time at the HPDC at Summit Pt, even with the rain at the end!! I just sign up for Shenandoah DE in June, the days fit my familys schedule. Hope to see u and ur "HOOVER" there...or at the Glen perhaps

Chris

Quick Reply: first HPDC