Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Varioram....that's not right........

Old 04-14-2007, 03:20 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Varioram....that's not right........

OK, so I started digging into a combination of DIY maintenance items - spark plugs, fuel filter and SAI check valve and flush - before the good weather driving season comes to New England (soon ?).

Car has just 38K miles, so this is first time for any real maintenance. I bought it with 19K miles, and there have been no engine issues, so I assume that it's "virgin".
Wrong !
As I am pulling the airbox, I notice a tie-wrap holding the right side varioram actuator compressed. That's not right ! Peek over to left-hand side...... longer tie-wrap holding it compressed. Back to right-hand side - vacuum hose is disconnected and capped. Damn, why haven't I noticed that tie-wrap before ?

So it appears that I have been driving this with the Varioram always engaged. I don't have a comparison and I have been driving the car like this the whole time that I have had it, but I assume that this means I have been losing the functionality that should be there at lower revs ?

I will be pulling heater blower and investigating those vacuum hoses that I have seen so well described on Rennlist.

Stay tuned as I dig deeper......
Attached Images   
Old 04-14-2007, 03:29 PM
911C2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that
Sorry I can not help
Boy I love my 95. and the best part is I had no idea when I was lookign for it of the reasons for a 95. Sure you all have a better torque curve on the 96+ cars but for my driving skills this is plenty fast.

I LOVE MY CAR.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:35 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, maybe I WILL have a better torque curve after I get it back the way it should be.......

I am owner # 3. I am very confident that owner # 2 did not do this and I have his records (although he put very few miles on it.) Owner # 1 (unknown) did install some type of aftermarket mufflers, a K&N air filter, etc - so I am not sure if this is something he did on purpose or whether I'll find the collapsed vacuum hose, or what ? But I'll get her back to "proper" !
Old 04-14-2007, 03:39 PM
911C2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a suggestion

Do a search on what happens if those actuators are left on all the time. I dno tknow anything about it but if he was a mod kinda guy it would surpise me if he was the only one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Varioram....that's not right........