Just paid to replace Cab top, boot - very happy

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Kcreager1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just paid to replace Cab top, boot - very happy

Hello all -

I just had my top replaced on my 96 C2 cab. I bought the top and boot from Rich and Famous Auto tops (always on ebay) and had it istalled by ABC auto Interiors here in San Antonio. The top quality and fitment is as good as the original. Although I will have to say I am comparing the the ragged top that I replaced - I did not own the car new. Still, the fit is great, the top is great, and I am very happy.

I have not put the boot on yet as I was instructed to leave the top up for 2 weeks to stretch/settle. I will post when it has been 2 weeks and talk about the boot.

R&F was very pleasant to deal with. I did not buy from Ebay, I called them directly and they sold me the top and boot and shippied in 2 days. The top lists for $450 and Boot for $250 on ebay, but I asked for a discount and got $25 off of each. No sales tax (CA to TX) so it is a good deal. Also, in TX auto repairs are taxable on materials, so if I had purchased through the installer I would have paid TX tax on the materials.

The shop originally wanted me to use Gahh, but the price was closer to $1K for the top alone. He said he wanted me to use them becauase of the quality, and I almost did but found many threads on this site that made me feel that R&F was of very good quality. I am very happy with the result and would recommend to any of you both R&F for parts and ABC for install.

Seats -

Inciddentally, I had the seats recovered by ABC using the Gahh seatcovers. I am very happy with this as well. I will post pictures soon, but I am having trouble with my membership. I rejoined over 2 months ago and never got my packet to explain what I need to do. I have the number, but have had trouble trying to get going again. I am trying to resolve with Jen. Pics to post after that.

Color -

Color of the top is great, it is black and is the same as you see on other BMW/Pcars driving around. My original color was more of a red/rust color for the top. The car is now polar silver/red interior/black top. This is a little different, but with the bumperettes etc on the outside to provide some black accents it looks good. Never was a fan of the faded red/rust colored top - it looked tired very easily.

I will post pics when I can, hope this is useful to some of you thinking of the same.

Quick Reply: Just paid to replace Cab top, boot - very happy