Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   so far (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/344484-so-far.html)

avidtest 04-12-2007 11:49 PM

so far

Well, I've been living w/ the p-car for about two months now. I bought it mostly fot auto-x and eventually DE. Unfortunately, I haven't had enough opportunities to feed the need yet, but luckily am doing the driver training class the weekend after next and auto-x the weekend after that. Driving on the street is generally (but not always) more frustating than anything because there's always someone in my way on every good on-ramp/off-ramp/perfect corner, etc.

However, in the meantime, I've been learning more about the car and have so far, replaced the kinematic clutch lever, replaced the clutch master cylinder and bled the clutch slave cylinder (thanks to some pointers from RL'ers 1/2 through the job). I've purchased a set of 18" turbo Technology hollow spokes for the track and fitted them w/ my MPSC's (don't want to F-up the RS cup wheels that are on it). Used the clay bar and waxed it (of course). Just bought all the stuff to do my own 60K service (yikes!) and today took it down to Jae Lee at Mirage International in San Diego to tune and corner ballance the suspension for the track... I can't wait to get it on the track now.

Oh, and how could I forget; I had to purchase another (two) imobilizer remotes and get them programed, which entailed getting the car towed to the dealer, when I accidentaly washed the original remote (yes, that was a bummer).

I half-heartedly considered regearing the tranny (2nd is so friggin tall), but have since reconsidered and will likely leave that alone. The only other thing I'd like to do is put cat bypass pipes on as I desire a meaner sound (and if it drops some weight off the rear, all the better. Just got 'er smogged, so I have two years of not having to worry about it.

Well, that's it. Perhaps not too interesting to some, but a fun pre-occupation for me nonetheless and I thought I'd post my experience so far w/ the p-car.

jdistefa 04-12-2007 11:58 PM

Great to read, keep it coming. You have a beautiful car, enjoy....

ARM993 04-12-2007 11:58 PM

Sounds like you have been busy the last couple months. Glad to hear you are enjoying the whole experience. Be sure to give us an update with your track impressions once you get her out there. Hoping to do an AutoX test and tune this weekend myself. Have fun. :cheers:

David in LA 04-13-2007 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by avidtest
....The only other thing I'd like to do is put cat bypass pipes on as I desire a meaner sound (and if it drops some weight off the rear, all the better. Just got 'er smogged, so I have two years of not having to worry about it.

Since there is little in the way of performance gains (for a non-trubo stock motor) from removing the cats, you may want to instead consider replacing the mufflers with Fabspeed Supercups or another similar straight pipe. IIRC this gets you a 30-40lb weight savings (in addition to a meaner sound!). :)

avidtest 04-13-2007 11:19 AM

Thanks David. I've got GHL's on there now. I am considering the cat bypass just because I like the sound and for a bit of weight savings. Would replacing the GHL's w/ Fabspeed Supercups accomplish the same thing and add hp over the GHL's?

Bill Verburg 04-13-2007 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by avidtest

I half-heartedly considered regearing the tranny (2nd is so friggin tall), but have since reconsidered and will likely leave that alone. The only other thing I'd like to do is put cat bypass pipes on as I desire a meaner sound (and if it drops some weight off the rear, all the better. Just got 'er smogged, so I have two years of not having to worry about it.

You have a wonderfully well set up car, both of the things you mention here will be big pluses.

As to the trans, stock 2nd isn't the problem, 1st and 3rd - 6th are.

Harvey Yancey 04-13-2007 12:02 PM

Glad you are enjoying the car and are still 'tweaking'. I think Jeff regrets selling it everyday ...

If you go the cat-bypass route you may want to considering picking up some stock mufflers. I was running some after-market mufflers when I put on the DACH X-Pipes and it was too loud for me. The stock mufflers with the DACH's are perfect. YMMV.

avidtest 04-13-2007 12:11 PM

Thanks Harvey. I think Jeff had mentioned you had a set and then got rid of them and/or made some changes because of the volume. As long as I don't get kicked off the track(s) for excessive dB, I think I'll like it.

97Targa 04-13-2007 12:27 PM

The next auto-x at the "Q" isn't until the 29th. Bet you'll be chomping at the bit by then! :burnout:

Harvey Yancey 04-13-2007 12:27 PM

Just keep the earplugs handy ... ;)