Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Have you had a CEL for SAI and still found a way to get a "pass" on smog? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 02:01 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Have you had a CEL for SAI and still found a way to get a "pass" on smog? (long)

About three years ago within 2 months of purchasing my car the CEL illuminated and the code indicated SAI. The previous owner only had the car for two weeks and flipped it, selling to me without the need for having the car smog certified since the person he purchased from had gotten it to pass. The memory showed at least 8 previous faults for SAI before it was cleared by my mechanic.

Fast forward 2 years and it was time to get the car smog certified. I knew I was in trouble. I was fortunate in that the dealership I went to felt that 993's had this problem and it was believed that the cars mostly were burning clean except for the fault caused by clogged ports (or some other culprit) causing the computer to set off the CEL.

I burn about a quart every 1000 miles which is somewhat near the low end of the range. The car is definately due for new guides but I drive it so infrequently that it doesn't seem worth doing unless I don't pass smog again or if my clutch fails and the car needs major surgery. In case the latter doesn't happen by Sept '08 I'm hoping to have some options other than going back to the dealer and crossing my fingers that they will be as understanding and generous as before. I believe they gave the car a pass and said they would deal with the smog referee.

Are there any other ways to get this done without going through the hassles of resetting / clearing codes, drive cycle b.s.? Anyone have some success stories regarding dealing with smog referees out there?

How many out there have stories with happy endings?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure I would say you definitely need new guides. One quart every 1k seems well within the norm of this board. I would take the car to get the SAI passages flushed. Hergesheimers will do the job for you.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:17 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I know FO3 but that costs money!!!! I'm being a cheapskate and proud of it. Plus I like how my bank balance looks with 1000 more dollars than I do when it has 1000 less dollars in it!
Old 04-12-2007, 02:35 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had luck using a code reader, resetting the light and then driving about 30 miles till six of the seven readiness codes were set (02 sensor was the last one). I drove right to the station and passed; two miles later the light came on.

One thing i was careful not to do was let the RPMs fall below 2000 on the cold starts for the first three minutes; according to BMW, that is when the SAI is checked but it gets skipped unless the car is actually idling. Nonetheless, the readiness code for SAI was set when I had it tested.

Ultimately, I got my valve guides done anyway, but I'm not sure if there's some other way around the issue other than taking some time and clearing the codes as needed.

Quick Reply: Have you had a CEL for SAI and still found a way to get a "pass" on smog? (long)