Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   I'd buy a couple more cars, but the insurance is killing me. (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/344225-id-buy-a-couple-more-cars-but-the-insurance-is-killing-me.html)

4X4SCHE 04-12-2007 03:20 AM

I'd buy a couple more cars, but the insurance is killing me.

My wife and I have six cars on a group policy. My wife only ever drives two of these, so I am the only driver of four of the cars. My insurance company makes me insure them all as if they could all be driven at the same time. I get a small discount for the "fleet" policy.

Is there any policy that would allow for the fact that I can't drive the four cars at the same time? My agent says I can call him to take them on and off the policy for a week at a time, but I may switch cars a couple of times on the same day.

How do you multiple owners deal with this? Is there a policy to insure any car I am driving.... that would not require full insurance on each car?

Thanks,

John

atan888 04-12-2007 05:27 AM

21st century 1800211save but with mine all cars are insured separately but I found them to be the most reasonable as long as you have a clean record.

Oshin11 04-12-2007 07:09 AM

Look into classic/exotic/collectible car insurance. You can get rates as low as 300/year/car.

allill 04-12-2007 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Oshin11
Look into classic/exotic/collectible car insurance. You can get rates as low as 300/year/car.

What if all your cars aren't classic exotic collectibles? Man, I want to pay $300/ year!

dcdude 04-12-2007 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by allill
What if all your cars aren't classic exotic collectibles? Man, I want to pay $300/ year!

But Jeff- your car is! But probably closer to the $600 I pay in LA. Here's the catch: you can't daily drive it. How 'bout a nice SmartCar for up there in "the city"?

allill 04-12-2007 05:41 PM

Man, those smart cars are tiny. Any idea if they are legal on the highway?

Jim W 04-12-2007 06:51 PM

I got good discounts for multiple cars with home owners insurance from Farmers Insurance. The car rate was almost half of what i had been paying.

Ritter v4.0 04-12-2007 08:11 PM

Same insurer, how different is the cost to insure a TT vs. n/a 993?

luvmy356 04-12-2007 08:57 PM

if you want to minimize your insurance hit and want more cars, buy classic cars and use the classic car insurance, or if you want a 993, buy a 1995. I was going to get a 95, had a rate quote just around $300/6 months, and then I bought the 96 targa. When I called my agent, the quote was almost $600/6 months. There was a slight surcharge for the Targa, but the biggest jump was from the MY95-MY96.

I have 10 cars on my insurance policy, fortunately half of the fleet are more than 25 years old and not daily drivers so the classic car insurance is relatively cheap for the insured values of those cars.

dcdude 04-12-2007 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by allill
Man, those smart cars are tiny. Any idea if they are legal on the highway?

90 MPH, baby!
http://www.smartusa.com/faq.html

I'd find out up front if SFPD would be cool with you parking perpendicular to the curb, Rome-style! Would open up so many unused parking spaces for you...

hddude 04-12-2007 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by 4X4SCHE
My wife and I have six cars on a group policy. My wife only ever drives two of these, so I am the only driver of four of the cars. My insurance company makes me insure them all as if they could all be driven at the same time. I get a small discount for the "fleet" policy.

Is there any policy that would allow for the fact that I can't drive the four cars at the same time? My agent says I can call him to take them on and off the policy for a week at a time, but I may switch cars a couple of times on the same day.

How do you multiple owners deal with this? Is there a policy to insure any car I am driving.... that would not require full insurance on each car?

Thanks,

John

You remind me of a wealthy uncle who always drove the largest land barge Mercedes, but insisted he needed a diesel to afford the fuel, this being back in the days when diesel fuel was cheap.