atan888
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very simple and clean.....
Old 04-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

years ago Nakamichi was renowned for their tape drives ...the ole Dragon.
I have heard that their CD players are phenomenal, can anyone comment on the tuners? am and FM?
Old 04-14-2007, 03:24 AM
Peter R.
Pro

As far as radio reception goes Blaupunkts are still a cut above the rest say the pro's.

Peter R.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:56 AM
Toddimus
Instructor

I'm in the midst of incremental upgrades as well. I just added 8" sub boxes in the rear footwells. They're driven by ~100W RMS each via an amp under the bonnet. I made the boxes real custom fit, but I need to get some matching carpet to cover them. I have enough power from a couple of older amps, which are connected to the Becker CDR-210 pre-outs. I'm still using the factory hifi amp and speakers for now.

I think my next step is some new 6 1/2" component speakers for the doors mounted under the factory hifi door panels on some custom MDF plates in lieu of the Nokia hifi door boxes.

Like this guy did

What do folks think about the Alpine SPX-177R speakers? I'm torn between them and the Infinity Kappa 60.7. I have ~50W RMS to send to each of them using an external amp under the bonnet. I want to spend less than $200 on them, and I'll have to wait a couple of months before the boss will let me buy 'em!

I like the tame factory look of the CDR-210. I guess the D/A converters could be better, and I'd like better EQ control but I think I can live with it. I'll do some stuff behind the scenes to keep the factory look. i.e. external equalizer/crossover (a la Kenwood or some bling brand). I guess the thing I'm really missing is an auxiliary input.

Is there a way to "trick" the Becker into taking AUX inputs via the CD changer input into the head? I've searched on this a bit and found nothing. The Becker uses the same connectors as the Blaupunkt head I bought a few years ago. There must be analog input pins on that connector for the external CD changer. Surely there must be a way to access these. Maybe there's a solution for me? Anyone? Anyone?

I may just hook up the factory door speakers to the extra amp I already have pre-wired. The question is, how to hook up the three speakers in each door! There are three pairs of wires coming from each door panel to the factory amp under the passenger seat. I gather from reading RL and from personal observations by looking at the connectors, the crossover for the factory setup is inside the factory Nokia amp.

Somebody said they used the factory speakers with an aftermarket amp. Sorry, I looked back and couldn't find who had said it. How'd they (or you) do that? There's no crossover to connect to the single +/- pair of wires coming from the amplifier. Being an engineer, hardcore tinkerer, and from gut feeling, I know the little factory tweeters don't want to receive full 50+ RMS power from the amp! Am I missing something, or did they just add a crossover?

Sorry, just my late Friday evening rant on the state of my car's electronic sound system. The mechanical sound system sounds great already, but it will sound even better with the LPMM or RSR.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:29 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the nakamichi cd400. I am going to look into that. as far as speakers. I am considering infinity 6.5 reference for the front, and 4x6 kappas plates for the back.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0063258&catid=

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0073938&catid=

will i haVE ENOUGH POWER AND bass w/o a sub and amp?

Also, noone mentioned he cdr22 and cdr23. Are these good oem options?

TIA
Old 04-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
I like the nakamichi cd400. I am going to look into that. as far as speakers. I am considering infinity 6.5 reference for the front, and 4x6 kappas plates for the back.

Also, noone mentioned he cdr22 and cdr23. Are these good oem options?

TIA
Be careful w/ the Inf. Kappa series, they are now 2 ohm speakers. Many head units don't recommend 2 ohm speakers being directly connected to them. You'll have to use a sep. amp recommended for 2 ohm loads.

Personally, I've had Infinity's (NOT Kappas) in 2 of my cars but wouldn't use them again. For me, not enough low end presence, too "tinny" IMO. Many like them though.

I'm now using MB Quartz or Diamond Audio, I know there are better speakers (Focal ect) but for me these are more than adequate.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:42 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am happy you mentioned that. I like bass, and lows and I dint find that the infinitis had much. The bestbuy has these MTX....great lows. Any opinions on the quality?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:53 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell you what - I've been worried a bit more about mounting depth without the hi fi option than speaker quality. It seems like everyone has a few tiers of component setups that roughly overlap, and then there are the really expensive setups (high end Focals, Z series Boston Acoustics, etc). I just can't tell listening to these damned things in the store if one does sound better than another since they have them in these beautiful home quality speaker boxes for us to listen to.

Any truth to the fact that mounting depth is an issue? Might have to go downstairs and pull one of those babies out and measure.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Rudolph
Advanced

Before you buy listen to a McIntosh. The sound is worth every penny.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I just put some polk audio momo 4x6's in my 964 they sound great!!!!
Picked them up at addison electonics.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I just put some polk audio momo 4x6's in my 964 they sound great!!!!
Picked them up at addison electronics.

Quick Reply: Stereo options advise needed