Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

So how hard is it to do a suspension swap...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
creator8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So how hard is it to do a suspension swap...

I'm just about to pull the trigger on doing a the suspension upgrade to Bilstein HDs and MO33 springs on my 98 Targa. My understanding is an install will run around $1200. I'm thinking for that kind of money, if I can get it done over a weekend or two I'd rather take it on myself. I know I'll still have to get an alignment and corner balance, but that should run around $300 or so right?

I'm pretty good with a wrench and have a good set of tools, jacks etc. So how hard is it to do the suspension swap and how long will it take? Any tips, tricks, or thoughts? I remember a link around to a doc that outlines the job. Where was it again?

Thanks,
Old 04-11-2007, 09:09 PM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...0&page=1&pp=15
Old 04-11-2007, 09:11 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by creator8
I'm just about to pull the trigger on doing a the suspension upgrade to Bilstein HDs and MO33 springs on my 98 Targa. My understanding is an install will run around $1200. I'm thinking for that kind of money, if I can get it done over a weekend or two I'd rather take it on myself. I know I'll still have to get an alignment and corner balance, but that should run around $300 or so right?

I'm pretty good with a wrench and have a good set of tools, jacks etc. So how hard is it to do the suspension swap and how long will it take? Any tips, tricks, or thoughts? I remember a link around to a doc that outlines the job. Where was it again?

Thanks,

With Jeff's directions...

not bad..did it myself...piece of cake..did have to read up on jacking up car though..
Old 04-11-2007, 09:20 PM
wayne993
Instructor

Use Jeff's excellent write-up. I'm really slow and it took me maybe 15 hours including
jacking the car, measuring current settings, a couple fights with bolts, getting the garage ready,
and a trip to Sears for a tool. If you're handy with tools its doable.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:37 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The water's fine, jump in.

Honestly, I was in the same boat as you are. Although you say you are pretty handy with the tools, you don't need to be. Doing a suspension swap is more intimidating than it is hard. Just take you time and....have fun!

<thanks for the nice words above>
Old 04-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Call Darin at Westend in Torrance, California. All in cost is less than $600, I believe?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:47 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Father of 3
Call Darin at Westend in Torrance, California. All in cost is less than $600, I believe?
But, that is without internet forum braggin' rights.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by InTheAir
But, that is without internet forum braggin' rights.
I had printed out your instructions and was all ready to do the install myself. I needed a few tools, which weren't cheap. I found Darin and the price was irresistable.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:57 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

If you buy from ViperBob, he will most likely lend you the "tricky" tools, such as the sockets with open sides.

But, in all honesty, if I could get the suspension installed and get a corner balance/alignment for $600, I would have had it done. (gulp) However, in my case, my quotes were for $1200....for the install ONLY.

That being said, I KNOW I took greater care in the install than a tech would.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:06 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

I was also in your situation a while back. With basic mechanical ability and decent tools (don't forget the Hazet socket) it should be no problem. I did it over a weekend, completely by myself, using instructions from Robin's site (this was back in 2002). Besides the extra $6-1200 in your pocket, you get 1) the aforementioned internet bragging rights , 2) the knowledge of what's what in your suspension, and 3) the satisfaction and piece of mind that the job was done with care (sway bar bushings lubricated, bolts tightened and torqued properly, etc).

Good luck,
Jason
Old 04-11-2007, 10:11 PM
md11plt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have Bob’s tools right now. I just finished up my install. It truly was a lot of fun and very rewarding. I ran into a few SNAFUs, but Bob was with me every step of the way. I had my rear shocks in and out a few times (Shock problems replaced under warranty) and I got to where I could get them out or in in less that 10 minutes! I didn't know whether to or !
Old 04-11-2007, 10:12 PM
creator8
Instructor

Originally Posted by Father of 3
$600!!! That solves that then. I know Darin well. He's an alignment genius. He made my understeering pig of a Subaru STI into a rear wheel drifting hooligan machine!

And if you know his shop, you know he's putting your car together with close to the same care and attention you would yourself.

I was actually kind of looking forward to doing the job myself!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm going to be in Darin's shop in two weeks. He is one meticulous mother!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:37 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Not too bad...I did mine with Robert & Danny's help back in 2003.

sean
Old 04-12-2007, 03:24 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by creator8

Thanks,
I would strongly recommend recruiting someone who has done this before or is at least familiar with suspension installation otherwise. Plan on immediately having an experienced suspension shop (specifically with 993 experience) align the car. Have them also take an extra hour for a suspension "nut & bolt check" to ensure the DIY is correct. Shouldn't be more than 4.5 hours tops at the shop.

Quick Reply: So how hard is it to do a suspension swap...