Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another video - less lame - Pueblo this time

PCA at Pueblo

PCA DE at Pueblo Motorsports Park.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice. Neat technique - how do you change gear without taking your hand off the wheel?
Old 04-11-2007, 02:25 PM
eswartz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet. I like the Beethoven.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:07 AM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leander
Nice. Neat technique - how do you change gear without taking your hand off the wheel?
I was surprised that you could hear the other car more than mine. Probably time to take off the rear sound pad and/or get a remote mic to place in the rear seat area.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that what it was? It was confusing - I could hear/see your shifts, but there were others too. I assumed it had something to do with synching the sound to the video...
Old 04-12-2007, 11:41 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice video. On some turns you are early apexing, just be aware to be smooth and not pinch the car as it may bite as you built more speed Have fun!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:58 PM
NightFlyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may be a dumb question, but what it pinching the car?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:10 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

An early apex leads to running out of room on the exit - thus you get pinched for room.

Yeah, my lines weren't the best, some of it was because I was playing with the guy because his cornering speed was so much less than mine some of it is my propensity to brake too late.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:40 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by NightFlyer
This may be a dumb question, but what it pinching the car?
Pinching the line means running too direct, ie. early apex. The only way out is to let off the gas or run off the road through the end of the arc.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:50 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Not the most talented guy driving ahead of you....
Old 04-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Was this a non-instructed run group?

Danny's right about the early apexing. The goal on many corners at many tracks is to apex as early possible to carry speed through the corners. A later apex is safer but slower. I try to apex as early as I can until I start to run out of track-out room.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:15 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Just depends on skill level. Whether it's skiing in gates, waterskiing in a slalom course, or driving on the track, a rounder line with a late apex is safer, more predictable, and allows correction/wiggle room from arc to arc. And it's also slower. Learning to run more direct/earlier apex is a skill that comes from mileage, experience, and willingness to take risks.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:04 AM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Non-instructed run group. Orange in our region, one step down from black becasue of the number of entries, my times are around mid-pack in black. Yep, I early apex for time also, but recognize that my testosterone may be getting in the way of ideal lines/lap times.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:57 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Early apexing to benefit the lap time is usually combined with trail braking. IMHO if you are finished with the brakes on a straight line ( i think you are) and you early apex that means that you are most likely coasting on steady throttle till late in the turn in order to be on WOT. In this case late apex will give you late braking ( more time on throttle on a straight line) and the ability to be at WOT almost immediately after the turn-in. That will help the exit speed and consequently if the turn is followed by a straight better top speed before you negotiate the next turn.
I'm not good either with these things as I still learn a ton, plus in racing there are really no lines in the heat of the battle, but it helps to really pay attention on general events when you have the chance to perfect your lines. What this does is that it builds that sensory memory so when you are in the heat of the battle you still drive the car right. The issue with our short wheelbase rear engine beasts is that on the real limit, when you feel the car dancing beneath you, your steering is light and your butt as well, the prevailing characteristic of the 993 chassis is to understeer at entry and then move almost immediately to oversteer at exit. By knowing that, its a must to be smooth at turn in. If you are undesteering and you are on the absolute limit and you pinch the car even more to compensate for the understeer or the wrong line, its almost a for sure recipe for disaster as the butt will snap on you so fast that there will be zero time for reaction ( ask me how I know ) What I noticed in your video is that on some turns you do turn in early and then you have some more steering input to compensate for your early entry as you will run out of room which you well realize.
I really hope I'm not offending you here, it is all in good will in an effort to share my experiences and mistakes that I did in the past with you... thanks for posting this nice video!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice clip!

I agree about apexing, well my licence plate is ERLY APX afterall.

That long double apex after the main straight (T1) I like but I would let the car go all the way to the left after the turn before the left hander (T2). You'd sacrife some speed going into the T2 but would gain much more on T1 overall being faster. Would work well in a race too (you could pass).

Good to see you're not "following the car" ahead of you, especially when watching that car in front of you!

P.S. I'm still bothered by your hands! I'd try just do a session (needs to be a complete session) with holding hands and not suffling. I know it will feel strange since you're not used to it but if you try the whole session (or two), you should get more comfortable and might end up preferring it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another video - less lame - Pueblo this time