Sponsored by:

Deck Lid Badge Delete...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:30 PM
creator8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deck Lid Badge Delete...

Some A-Hole attempted to "delete" the Targa badge on my rear deck lid. They only managed to get the T off snapping the badge in process, so now I'm driving an "arga". It left a bunch of the dried out black backing adhesive where the letter was. So I have a couple of questions:

1. Where can I buy the badge from.

2. How do I best remove the original badge and get any adhesive residue off. Its very dried out. I'm thinking "Goo Gone". I've used Brake Cleaner to remove adhesive before, but I don't think I want to apply it to the paint on my rear deck.

3. How do I make sure I get the badge back on in exactly the right place.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:37 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Sunset Porsche or other dealer for badge. There are others that sell these but Sunset is likely the best $$
2. I have used "Goof Off" without damaging paint but not on my pcars... I'd test it in an inconspicous spot first. I think it will be OK but ya never know. I'm a little more "careful" with cars I care about.
Anyhow, Goof Off works great on sticker goo.
3. I'd just measure where it is now, top to bottom and right to left. You could probably make a template of some sort to make it easier to position the new one. I would guess you will still see an outline even after you clean the goo off.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2007, 02:42 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer. I hate to see things like that happen.
Parts at dealers cost (+10%) www.sunsetporsche.com
Try the dental floss method to remove the remains of the emblem.
Go easy with the solvent for glue removal.
The Targa emblem probably left a "shadow" that you can use to line the new one up to.
Best of luck.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:47 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
I would guess you will still see an outline even after you clean the goo off.
+1.
To remove the old stuff, I sprayed alcohol diluted with water (50-50) in direct sunlight, and rubbed with finger, not nail...
Old 04-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Black993
Drifting

don't think i'd use the brake cleaner or any solvent except like the above poster said.

I'm paranoid about someone taking mine off like you had happen.

on a side note where do you get the '911' or '993' badge that I've seen floating around. would like to replace my current one
Old 04-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also try bumperplugs.com for the logo.

To get the rest of the 'arga' off you can use dental floss followed by 'Goo Gone'.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:35 PM
stanm5
Racer

As for the arga removal; use a blow dryer (or heat gun if you have one) to heat the emblem and dental floss to pry it off. Goo gone will remove the left over adhesive.

Cheers,
Stan
Old 04-10-2007, 03:48 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do NOT use brake cleaner. It will damage your paint for sure.

Goo Gone will work.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:28 PM
creator8
Instructor

Thanks for the advice. Dental floss method sounds like the way to go. Yes I expect there to be some paint change where the original logo was.

Joe--agreed on the KTMs--have a 05 525 MXC and 05 950 Adventure.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:04 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Steve,
I recently replaced my black 'Carrera' emblem with an identical one from Sunset. The original had lost its ties to the adhesive in some places and was ready to crack the next time I washed the car.

I used a heat gun to soften the old adhesive, then gently sawed through the black stuff with a length of fishing line. After removing the emblem, I used bug & tar remover to soften the adhesive and my fingernails to gently remove the stuff. After it was all gone, I cleaned the decklid and then polished it as I would the rest of the car.

I tried all sorts of measuring technigues, blue tape lines, you name it. But I was never confident that the new emblem would land where it should. So I took a regular black felt-tip marker and made a black dot in the middle of the "a", "e" and "a". Enough of a shadow remained that I was able to see these letters.

Then I removed the backing and carefully hovered over the three black dots until they all seemed centered with the new emblem letters. Once you touch the decklid, it's all over. The adhesive is there to stay.

Afterwards, I waxed the decklid, being careful not to get anything between the letters.

Andreas
Old 04-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Black993
don't think i'd use the brake cleaner or any solvent except like the above poster said.

I'm paranoid about someone taking mine off like you had happen.

on a side note where do you get the '911' or '993' badge that I've seen floating around. would like to replace my current one
I got a "911" badge from Performance Products a couple years ago, but the shadow under the " Carrera" was so bad that it looked terrible. I put the Carrera back on and will put the 911 badge on when either I have enough guts to paint the deck lid or a few hundred bucks that I don't need. I think I'll have the emblem for a while.....
Old 04-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
I got a "911" badge from Performance Products a couple years ago, but the shadow under the " Carrera" was so bad that it looked terrible. I put the Carrera back on and will put the 911 badge on when either I have enough guts to paint the deck lid or a few hundred bucks that I don't need. I think I'll have the emblem for a while.....
yeah, I love the look of the 911 one but I'm afraid of the shadow too. Thanks for the info on where to buy though

Quick Reply: Deck Lid Badge Delete...