Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   30K service - **pictures** (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/343558-30k-service-pictures.html)

g_murray 04-09-2007 01:19 PM

30K service - **pictures**

Hi,

I asked my mechanic to 'save' some of the parts that he replaced (during my recent 30,000 'elite' service + suspension swop-out).
I was particularly interested in the amount of carbon on the SAI valve and the condition of the spark-plugs (yes ALL twelve!).
Although the SAI check-valve, itself, took four hrs. of labor, plus he had to fashion his own modified crows-foot -- I was glad to see that it was - even after 10 years, pretty much OK.

Here u go:

http://i-fly.freeyellow.com/miscell/...-30k/index.htm

(Clicking on any thumbnail brings up a big picture!)

Gerry

Garth S 04-09-2007 07:34 PM

That check valve went down fighting! :)
Two electrode Bosch plugs .... is that from a TT?

ppashley 04-09-2007 07:47 PM

Dumb question coming up.... why was one of the plugs apparently missing electrodes, or is it just the angle of the pic?

AOW162435 04-09-2007 08:41 PM

Gerry,
Are you sure the mechanic changed your plugs? The new set of Bosch plugs I received from Steve Weiner were identical to the original 3-prong plugs I pulled from my engine (Bosch FR 5DTC triple electrode).

Edit: A quick search of the archives shows that a few people have pulled twin-electrode plugs from their engines.

Andreas

GeoT3 04-09-2007 09:27 PM

check the owners manual, I left mine at work, two may have been correct for some years or plug manufactures. But, as rule of thumb three prongs for NA and two prongs for turbo, correct?

Garth S 04-09-2007 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Gerry,
Are you sure the mechanic changed your plugs? The new set of Bosch plugs I received from Steve Weiner were identical to the original 3-prong plugs I pulled from my engine (Bosch FR 5DTC triple electrode).

Edit: A quick search of the archives shows that a few people have pulled twin-electrode plugs from their engines.

Andreas

Yes, My spare (NA) motor has twin electrode Beru plugs ... but I thought that was normally a configuration for the turbos.

cabrio993 04-09-2007 11:21 PM

Are the shocks, springs, etc on the pictures the ones that were on the car for 30K miles? If so, you keep a really clean car! :)

g_murray 04-10-2007 11:01 AM

Hi guyz,
Yep, those are the plugs. My 993 C2 is a (normally aspirated) 1996 jobbie-- so maybe Fritz's orders, during that time, were to install "twins".
Nope, none of them have busted electrodes -- it's just their orientation by the garage floor.
Re: the cleanliness of the springs/shocks etc. -- yeah she's a multiple (full)-concours winner -- nuff said.
Gerry

InTheAir 04-11-2007 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by g_murray
Re: the cleanliness of the springs/shocks etc. -- yeah she's a multiple (full)-concours winner -- nuff said.
Gerry

Gerry -

I can't believe you won a full concours with such rust on the inside of your SAI check valve--are those judges slackin'?? ;) ;)

Slow Guy 04-11-2007 11:39 PM

I bet your wrench enjoyed working on such a clean car! Mine will never be that clean.

pedsurg 04-11-2007 11:56 PM

Gerry: When you changed you sai valve, did you also perform "a flush"?

Jack

g_murray 04-12-2007 09:48 AM

Hi,
Jeff -- you're a riot! (Remember, dead foot, dead engine!)
Pedsurg -- nope didn't do a flush, the SAI checkvalve swop-out was performed by my mechanic. BTW, I've never had any 'carbon' or emissions-related CELs (or pending codes) ever. Also, I routinely put in a can of Berryman's B12 or Seafoam into the gas-tank at fill-up. Having said THAT, *that's why* I asked to see the SAI checkvalve. If it *was* carbon-fouled THEN I'd be pretty much on the "I also need an SAI-flush" road by now.
Conventional wisdom seems to point to the (fact?) that the *condition* of the SAI valve is a 'barometer' of the health of the engine - in particular whether the passages are clogged - and if *they are* (and you burn a lot of oil) then your valve guides are very probably worn, which means - top end rebuild.
Conventional wisdom also seems to point out that 'routinely' changing THIS particular valve (even tho' it's an absolute PITA) can go a long way towards preventing the CEL blues.
Gerry

Deanriffs 04-12-2007 01:38 PM

Jerry,

Just curious, given the corrosion on the plugs, etc. how much of difference did you notice in how smooth the engine is running afterwards, any issues before the maintenance, etc.?

pedsurg 04-12-2007 03:07 PM

Gerry: Thanks for the feedback. I recently changed the SAI valve at 30 K, also without a flush. Two days later I received Joel Reiser's 993-996 PCA email missive re recommending adding both a flush and SAI valve change to each 30 K maintainance. Several weeks ago, he recently reiterated that same recommendation. (Joel: If your lurking please feel free advise, correct and/or expand). I really wish I had done the flush, not because I was having a problem (this CEL not an issue in Florida) but just as preventative maintainance.

Jack

Dan V 04-12-2007 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by g_murray
Conventional wisdom seems to point to the (fact?) that the *condition* of the SAI valve is a 'barometer' of the health of the engine - in particular whether the passages are clogged - and if *they are* (and you burn a lot of oil) then your valve guides are very probably worn, which means - top end rebuild.
Conventional wisdom also seems to point out that 'routinely' changing THIS particular valve (even tho' it's an absolute PITA) can go a long way towards preventing the CEL blues.
Gerry

My experience seems to comfirm that theory. I changed mine in 05, about 16K ago,,, it looked just like Gerry's, rusty but still functioning. I'm at 74K now, oil usage still on the low side, and all is well :icon501: