Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Finally ready for a Sirius head unit. Any recommendations & pics of yours in-dash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts
Default Finally ready for a Sirius head unit. Any recommendations & pics of yours in-dash?

Yes, I did a search, but did I do it wrong? I typed in Sirius on the 993 forum and only found a post from ... 2004?!?
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...eferrerid=5336

The other 3 posts were only about antenna placement.

My wife just got an Acura RL and I am head over heels in love with her XM radio and cool Nav display of the songs, artist and album. I'd LOVE to have that in my 993. I like the Grateful Dead and was told there is more "jam band" music on Sirius so I suppose that would be the way to go for me.

So, now I need to decide which unit to go with. Is Alpine the way to go? I called my local Tweeter and he said the Alpine AM/FM/CD Sirius unit is $200 (that's all?!?), $150 for the install of the Sirius tuner, and $90 for parts and labor.

Thoughts? Installed pics? Are you happy with your set up?

Thanks in advance,
Steve R
Old 04-08-2007, 09:46 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an Alpine 9856. They're great units. I've got my Ipod plugged in and I control it from the head unit. I also have the bluetooth adapter. It links to my phone when I turn the car on. The mike is good enough to function with the top down at speed as long as the windows are up. I also have the aux input adapter. It gives me 4 inputs. I use one for the bluetooth adapter and one for a Garmin Street Pilot w/XM and real time traffic and weather. If you go Alpine, make sure you get a 2007 unit. They have better search functions for the IPOD, and the bluetooth now displays caller info on the head unit. My '06 unit doesn't do that. As far as XM vs Sirus, they are going to merge by years end. I went with XM because I already have it in my other car, and they offer the real time traffic and weather. If you like the Dead, XM has the GD hour Wednesday nights. My IPOD has GD hour always.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks Rich. Is the 9856 the current model # for 2007 also? If not, do you happen to know the new version's model # for the 9856?
I did a search and found this

http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/...pine_cda_9856/

Do you happen to have a pic of what it looks like in your 993?

Is this much of an issue, from Epinions:

"Cons: Display gets washed out in bright situations. Time can't be displayed at all times "

Steve R
Old 04-09-2007, 12:59 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 9856 is last year's model ('06). The '07 equivalent is 9883. The '07's are 988x. Here's a link to Alpine
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/
A good site for info is Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/. They have knowledgeable staff. I've found them to be very helpful over the past 17 years. I would love to show you a photo because that would mean that my car was in my garage. Alternator belt broke Fri. night and I left it at the dealership Sat morn. I'm leaving town in the AM and won't be back 'til Friday. I can shot some pics next weekend.
I can't see the display very well during the day with the top down, but that's been the case for every head unit I've had in the car (I'm on my 4th head unit, 3rd and 4th amps, 3rd or 4th subs). Top up, bright day it's nothing to write home about. The the benefits of theblue tooth and ipod capabilities far outweigh the display for me anyway.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:15 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Rich,

Thx, I can't thank you enough! This is exactly the info I needed. I'll contact my local Tweeter tomorrow and see about getting it installed. I'm not a DIY'er so I'll have to pay for them to do it.

Steve R
Old 04-14-2007, 11:18 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Sirius in mine.. if you plan on IPOD integration, Alpine is the way to go IMHO

Quick Reply: Finally ready for a Sirius head unit. Any recommendations & pics of yours in-dash?