buying a 95 993 cab questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:31 AM
BobE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post buying a 95 993 cab questions

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post as I've been shopping for a 993 and think that I've found "the one". I've been reading the message boards here and I must say that now I have many new found fears. The car is low milage (under 40,000). The PPI turned up a "very small" oil leak from the rear main seal. Cylinders dry. Car is clean. I've run this by my own Mech. and he says that this is not uncommon but could be fixed at some expense but that it wouldn't stop him from buiying the car. Fairly common problem.

My real worry:

I have no idea with regard to valve wear. The mech. that did the PPI didn't do any internal investigating. But with all the talk of top end rebuilds and carbon build up, etc. and the proposition of spending $30+ on a 12 year old Porsche, how does anyone every know what they're getting unless Steve lives in or near their home town?

Just tell to me that I can buy my dream car and everything will be fine!!!!!

Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IIRC ... the 'valve guide / top end rebuild' is not an issue with the '95 models. It was done on my '96 cab ... but by the PO ... about $8,000 IIRC. Sounds like a nice car.

Scott
Old 04-06-2007, 12:44 AM
BobE
Intermediate

Thanks Scott, hopefull I will have some pics to put up next week. Ouch on that rebuild bill!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:04 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BobE
Thanks Scott, hopefull I will have some pics to put up next week. Ouch on that rebuild bill!
The prior owner ("PO") undertook that one ... at Beverly Hills Porsche ... and werd has it ... they know what the "F" they're doing regarding this there ... my car runs oh so strong!

Scott
Old 04-06-2007, 01:17 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 95 cab with 111k miles and no top engine problem . Engine
runs strong but again it is a white cab after all .
Old 04-06-2007, 01:48 AM
sawitt
Rennlist Member

Actually I believe the valve guide wear problem started with the 964's and continued with the 993's. So, its a definite possibility with '95's too. The '95's and some '96's had an electrical harness problem that was fixed in later cars. On the plus side, the '95's have OBD-I (as opposed to OBD-II) engine diagnostics, which can be beneficial depending upon your state's smog test procedure. OBD-II faults when the dreaded secondary air injection ports get clogged causing some state's smog test to fail (like mine).

I've just gone through what you're going through. I just bought a '97 C2 Cab a little over a month ago, which was my first 911 of any type. It had 48, 000 miles and was in beautiful condition. I had a PPI done at a highly recommended shop and it got a clean bill of health. I don't think many PPIs include an internal inspection, its just too much work/expense. I've read that one can live with worn valve guides and the associated increased oil consumption for quite a while before getting them replaced.

My research indicated to me that the most trouble-free 911's were the '87-'89's. The 964's and 993's started to have more problems (e.g. valve guilds, SAI, CEL, etc.). But the late '80s cars are now nearly 20 years old.

So I decided to go with the advice to buy the newest model I could afford -- actually that would have been a 996, which are cheaper than 993's I think, but they seem to have significantly more problems that the 993's. I think, in the end, that its a bit of a crap shoot, a good PPI should catch some problem indications, but there's a lot of internal stuff that just can't be checked practically.

So far I love my car, but I've had a lot of trouble with the top. It worked fine during the PPI and worked fine during at the dealer when I drove the car. But the second day home with all my neighbors standing around, I tried to put the top up and one side stopped about 1/3 of the way up it started getting all cockeyed. So I was in convertible top hell for a while re-soldering the control unit (which is a major pain to get to), etc. I finally replaced it (at several hundred $$, for the part only) and that's fixed it so far. So, who knows what's going to break, or not break. Am I helping with your decision ?. I really do love the car and don't regret the purchase at all right now.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:55 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Scott 1996 993c2
IIRC ... the 'valve guide / top end rebuild' is not an issue with the '95 models. It was done on my '96 cab ... but by the PO ... about $8,000 IIRC. Sounds like a nice car.

Scott
Scott...

You of all people!! I thought you were the most well-read Rennlister here!!

Actually, guides will wear and top ends will need to be done just as much on a '95 as later models... only difference is that a CEL due to secondary air injection issues will only happen on '96 - '98 cars.

You'll know when you start burning an inordinate amount of oil (say one quart every 500-750 miles).
Old 04-06-2007, 02:04 AM
BobE
Intermediate

Thanks so much for all the input guys. I will keep you posted as to my decision. There are so many good things in play with this particular car. Not the least of which, I'm dealing with a rennlist member. Expect all will go smoothly with the transaction. Fingers crossed for the drive home.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:11 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by trojanman
Scott...

You of all people!! I thought you were the most well-read Rennlister here!!

Actually, guides will wear and top ends will need to be done just as much on a '95 as later models... only difference is that a CEL due to secondary air injection issues will only happen on '96 - '98 cars.

You'll know when you start burning an inordinate amount of oil (say one quart every 500-750 miles).
Doh ... my bad Jeff ... 'I guess I didn't recall correctly' ... I just look at the pictures ...

Scott
Old 04-06-2007, 04:05 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Bob,

I am assuming that you are lined up to buy Pedro's white Cab. It looks like a beautiful car and Pedro seems to be very attentive in maintaining it. I think you will be very happy with it.

As with any Porsche, expect to spend some $$$ on fixing the things that you will see once you own it. I have always used a rule of thumb of $2K. If I spend less, all the better but these cars are expensive to maintain, unless you wrench on weekends.

Good luck with the purchase and don't look back!

Mark
Old 04-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Bob,

I am assuming that you are lined up to buy Pedro's white Cab. It looks like a beautiful car and Pedro seems to be very attentive in maintaining it. I think you will be very happy with it.

As with any Porsche, expect to spend some $$$ on fixing the things that you will see once you own it. I have always used a rule of thumb of $2K. If I spend less, all the better but these cars are expensive to maintain, unless you wrench on weekends.

Good luck with the purchase and don't look back!

Mark
Hi Mark...you are right on...Bobby left Miami this morning with a huge smile and a white Cab...he must be close to Savannah - GA right now...

PS. I was honest to tell him how hard is to clean the wheels...and you know that...right?

Hey Bobby...pics please...and be a good custodian...

Quick Reply: buying a 95 993 cab questions