Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Any tricks to remove the gauges? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/342730-any-tricks-to-remove-the-gauges.html)

mpgandco 04-05-2007 01:10 PM

Any tricks to remove the gauges?

Anybody have any tricks to getting the the gauges out of my 98 C2s.I have taken them out of other P cars ,by just grabbing rubber ring and rocking back and forth.These won't budge and I don't want to damage anything.Any help appreciated. Thanks

993inNC 04-05-2007 01:19 PM

same thing :) small screw driver or other similar may be needed but otherwise.....

Sooner 04-05-2007 01:27 PM

I just did this a couple of days ago, it was not easy as they were stuck in there pretty good. Here's the procedure from p-car.com that I used:

Removal of the gauges from the dash:
To remove the gauge from the dash wrap a shop towel around the tip of a flat screw driver and pry the speedometer gauge from the right side out first. Through my experience I found this is the easiest gauge to remove especially when using the clock gauge as leverage. You can place another towel in front of the clock gauge to protect it from being scratched. Once the speedometer is removed and unplugged you will be able to easily pop the clock gauge out from behind, and the rest of the gauges. The tachometer would be the most difficult to remove since it will hit the steering column as it comes out. As a reference I was able to take out and install the tachometer without removing the steering column cover. As suggested by Tim Ashfield steering column cover removal is required for 993 owners with OBC option.

BS911 04-05-2007 01:28 PM

I had to use a screwdriver too... but wrap rags around not only the blade where you are inserting under the rubber, but where the leverage point may press against the neighboring ring too. You could easily scratch off the black surface.

geolab 04-05-2007 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sooner
......using the clock gauge as leverage. You can place another towel in front of the clock gauge to protect it from being scratched.

NEVER EVER DO THAT ON A CARRERA S.

our bezels are painted stahl grau (steel gray) and the coating is very thin.
if you leverage ANYTHING against another carrera S bezel, EVEN WITH A TOWEL BETWEEN, you will remove the paint from the bezel definitely.
Please do not do that!!! ASK ME HOW I KNOW...
take extreem care and slowly do it against the vinyl, with a Thick piece of cloth. The vinyl gets bent (marked) easily.
DO NOT TOUCH THE BEZELS !!!!

BS911 04-05-2007 02:08 PM

Good point... I'll send that info over to Robyn to add to the odometer DIY. I was unaware of that. Thanks!

Since I discovered the first time about scratching the normal gauges, I've been using the vinyl surround as the only leverage too. It does leave an indentation - especially the more narrow the screwdriver - but I've found that the indentation goes away soon. Results may vary though, depending on the condition of the foam/vinyl/dash.

1990-964 04-05-2007 02:22 PM

Hi,
I have found that putting your fingers behind the screwdriver and pulling the gauge out a little so you can grab it and work it free is much better than prying against any part of the dash or other gauge. I just did this in my own car and also in my friends 993 so we could rotate his speedo. Had it free in less than 30 seconds. have used this method on every gauge in my dash with great success. One last thing, make sure that the blade is seated fully behind the bezel ring so it will not pop out on you.

BobbyT 04-05-2007 04:39 PM

A stiff scraper or putty knife works better for me than a screwdriver to get the gauge started out--I've found it less likely to ding anything. I use a thin piece of wood (paint stir stick) between the scraper and the dash to pry against, so it doesn't mark the dash.

mpgandco 04-05-2007 06:21 PM

Should I pry between rubber ring and dash or gray plastic bezel and rubber ring?I don't want to f-- anything up

geolab 04-06-2007 03:22 AM

rubber ring and dash,
AGAIN, do not touch the bezel.
By the way, its not plastic. Its is the normal carrera metalic bezel (black), painted as I mentioned above...

David in LA 04-06-2007 03:32 AM

a plastic putty knife works better than a screwdriver

Nikoncamera 04-06-2007 04:54 AM

Does any body know what the lubricant is that coats the rubber rings on the gauges?
Cheers Lyndon

Robin 993DX 04-06-2007 06:36 AM

Have anyone tried to pull the gauges out with ah large suction cup?