993 Forum 1995-1998

"Catching air"

Old 04-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by H20NOO
Soft rear sway bar and stiff front sway bar. Of course, sticky track tires can help alot too. If you have adjustable sways, the "safe" way to set up the car is soft in back and stiff up front. This will keep both rear tires planted while the inside front is very light (or off the ground) inducing understeer at the limit.
This is exactly the opposite of what I would do with my track car. Typically it was full stiff in the rear and full soft in the front.

The above is a great recipe for understeering right off the track.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:18 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
This is exactly the opposite of what I would do with my track car. Typically it was full stiff in the rear and full soft in the front.

At least you'll go off the track facing forward... just like an Enzo!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Old 04-04-2007, 11:03 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Greg,
Remember when you helped me solve this problem years ago at Putnam. I had a heck of a time getting my front to stay down. Stiffening the rear sway helped but it wasn't until I put much stiffer springs in back that I could keep the front planted. Thanks again.

Lifting a tire is always bad. Not only for traction but also for all the air you're letting under the car in the middle of a corner when you want it least.
Jim
Old 04-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JimB
Greg,
Remember when you helped me solve this problem years ago at Putnam. I had a heck of a time getting my front to stay down. Stiffening the rear sway helped but it wasn't until I put much stiffer springs in back that I could keep the front planted. Thanks again.

Lifting a tire is always bad. Not only for traction but also for all the air you're letting under the car in the middle of a corner when you want it least.
Jim
Jim,
That was a while ago... You could probably teach me quite a few things now.
This was happening in my race car and the guy behind me knew much more about suspensions than I did and he told me I needed to up my spring rates. I did significantly and the car was a ton better.
It is the rear springs that resist the squatting effect that cornering and acceleration can cause, not the sway bars.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:38 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim,
That was a while ago... You could probably teach me quite a few things now.
This was happening in my race car and the guy behind me knew much more about suspensions than I did and he told me I needed to up my spring rates. I did significantly and the car was a ton better.
It is the rear springs that resist the squatting effect that cornering and acceleration can cause, not the sway bars.
I doubt that. Any chance you'll be back in a racecar this year?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I doubt that. Any chance you'll be back in a racecar this year?
Probably not one of my own. I am on a 12 step program I may share a ride with Rick in his E car for an enduro or two. We have a new baby on the way this summer so it just isn't in the cards right now for a race car.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:02 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Probably not one of my own. I am on a 12 step program I may share a ride with Rick in his E car for an enduro or two. We have a new baby on the way this summer so it just isn't in the cards right now for a race car.
If I still have my 996 at the end of the summer we should work out a deal for you to run it at RA. Congrats on the baby. I sure miss having kids around.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:37 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, a Corkscrew knockoff called the "Cyclone" at Thunderhill in N. California. www.thunderhill.com It would be hard to actually catch air through the Corkscrew although it is a helluva rush as you drop down nearly 100 feet in 3 seconds.

No adverse results although I'll admit I clobbered the curb because I knew the camera was rolling!

MC
Old 04-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If I still have my 996 at the end of the summer we should work out a deal for you to run it at RA. Congrats on the baby. I sure miss having kids around.
That sounds good! I will definetly keep that in mind. We are excited about having a little one around the house. My daughter (who grew up at the track it seems) will be 9 this summer, she says she wants to race go karts, so we may do something with that this summer.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by H20NOO
Actually, a Corkscrew knockoff called the "Cyclone" at Thunderhill in N. California. www.thunderhill.com It would be hard to actually catch air through the Corkscrew although it is a helluva rush as you drop down nearly 100 feet in 3 seconds.

No adverse results although I'll admit I clobbered the curb because I knew the camera was rolling!

MC

I was looking at "blue cow" (or whatever it's called) photos of all the cars at Laguna recently. It's surprising the number of cars with short travel suspension that catch air or at least get up on three through the screw. The 997, 996 and 993, with relatively stock suspension, have enough droop (and compression) to absorb the lift-off. Lighter "go kart" type cars (I'll resist naming to preserve the peace) were easily thrown off line and ended up in a launch-and-land line through the screw lap after lap. I guess the drivers were enjoying the flashbacks to Dukes of Hazard. : )

ps. MC aka H20NOO, your X51 coupe gets my vote for "car proving its owner most deserves a GT3 ..." Bravo!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Catching air"