Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   washing and waxing (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/342384-washing-and-waxing.html)

112344 04-04-2007 12:06 AM

washing and waxing

So, what do you folks recommend for washing and waxing the 993? I am sure there are different opinions. I am not looking for concourse quality, but would like to clean up and shine the paint. Also, what do you use on the plastic bumpers, interior, etc.? :confused:

Kika 04-04-2007 12:39 AM

first of all, never wash a hot car, and try to wash the car in the shade.

Other than that, I use a mild soap, with LOTS of water. Klasse polish/sealant is awesome stuff. can order it online.

As long as the car has a good coat of wax, I don't so much wash as rinse the car. I keep it covered as often as possible too, (black on black coupe)

if the paint is dead, you can have it wet sanded and polished. Some of the Dent remover guys, or body shops can probably do it for you, or if you are so inclined, you can probably do it yourself.

I use Lexol products on bumpers and their leather conditioner on the interior.

RallyJon 04-04-2007 01:35 AM

I've just started using the Optimum products now that I can't spend as much time detailing as I used to.

Their Optimum No Rinse car wash is pretty revolutionary--no suds, the dirt just seems to fall of the car. If you read over at the Autopia.org detailing forum, "ONR" as it's called is getting quite a following. I think it's because it's kind of the spiritual opposite of all those expensive designer products. One of the detailing gurus in the Rennlist detailing forum also swears by it.

Their spray wax is also pretty great. I like being able to spray it on a panel that's not completely dry, then buff and dry with a microfiber cloth.

Hard to argue with polymer sealant as a base coat I use Meguairs 20, but may switch to the Optimum Poly-seal. Reinforced with the spray wax, a polymer lasts for several months (even in harsh Pennsylvania).

I did just throw away half a dozen half empty bottles of various Zaino products cleaning out the garage. Life is too short...

f8vr993 04-04-2007 03:27 AM

Try Zymol wax after Clay Bar. I love this stuff... Yah, it's a bit pricy but as we know that its all relative. Right? :D

dhicks 04-04-2007 07:54 AM

Try looking at the concours section under "Perf & Comp"...lots of advice and help there.....I use optimum products, so far no complaints

leosayer 04-04-2007 08:04 AM

Clay bar is a must, you won't believe the crud that comes off the car that you thought was clean.

The paint feels so smooth afterwards.

JPS 04-04-2007 09:49 AM

You should also get rid of all swirls first...here is a writeup I had an another forum detailing all the products, tools, etc.

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...d-longish.html

rwestervelt 04-04-2007 10:12 AM

I recently started using Zaino products and it is the best system I have ever used. Getting the old wax off, clay barring, and applying several initial coats of wax is time consuming (4 hours), but subsequent washing and maintenance waxing is very simple and the results are stunning.

993c2cab 04-04-2007 10:44 AM

Clay bar for sure, then the HD cleanse by zymol, followed by some glazur. Call me crazy but I love letting that stuff turn into wax in my hands and rubbing it all over my lady.. I mean my car. A tad expensive but it does go a long way, and water doesn't stand a chance

texas911 04-04-2007 10:45 AM

I just used Zaino Z-CS and the shine is incredible and very easy to use too. Amazingly simple to apply.

g_murray 04-04-2007 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by 112344
So, what do you folks recommend for washing and waxing the 993? I am sure there are different opinions. I am not looking for concourse quality, but would like to clean up and shine the paint. Also, what do you use on the plastic bumpers, interior, etc.? :confused:

If you fancy a ride to the Long Island area, our Concours Chair (David Leonoff) is (yet again!) having a Concours Class at his house.

Date: Sat. April 21.

Check out

http://www.metronypca.org/Concours/2...shop_4_05.html

Gerry

Mark in Baltimore 04-04-2007 11:12 AM

Clay bar and Zaino for me, although I've only clayed the car once and waxed the car twice. ;)

993Dude 04-04-2007 01:28 PM

Zaino all the way. Clay bar followed by several coats of wax. The results are stunning.

mrsullivan 04-04-2007 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
as you can see, lots of opinions. i have been using zaino for years... i have tried lots of other things, but nothing has looked as good.... dare i say that the proof is in the pics...take a look at my avatar shot, right after a zaino detail job :D

trickydisco 04-04-2007 03:28 PM

hahaha Jonathan, I KNEW you would be chiming
in on this topic! your car has that glow, alright...

:thumbup: