Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

oil gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil gauge

OK, I am totally confused. My oil level gauge never seems to raise above the bottom. I know it stays in the red when rpms are up, but shouldn't it raise up at idle? Does this indicate low oil or low oil pressure? Sorry for the simple question, but I have not been able to figure out the behavior or lack of behavior of this gauge.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:19 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At idle w/ proper oil level you should read 9 or a hair above. If the dip stick reads fine, then maybe a bad sensor.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:17 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to check it when the engine is hot.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:43 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just recently was having this problem and finally figured it out. Oil on the dipstick is difficult to read. I thought the stick said almost full and the sending gauge was broken. Turns out I was down almost to the bottom line and when I added almost 2 quarts, the gauge came up a little passed 9 o'clock and the stick read near the top line. I think you are low on oil.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:32 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 112344
OK, I am totally confused. My oil level gauge never seems to raise above the bottom. I know it stays in the red when rpms are up, but shouldn't it raise up at idle? Does this indicate low oil or low oil pressure? Sorry for the simple question, but I have not been able to figure out the behavior or lack of behavior of this gauge.
At 1/4ish the way up from the bottom of the spiral (dip stick) and sits right in the red, at idle. At 1/2 up the dip stick, it registers about 8ish oclock and about 3/4 is 9ish-10ish o'clock.

Give or a take slightly, thats how I have become familiar with my oil gauge and oil levels. Could be different for others but thats what I have become kinda the formula I figured out to be true after 4 years with my C4.

I like to be keep mine between 1/2 and 3/4's on the dipstick. Even when Im at those levels, the oil gauge can be all over the map and I dont really pay much attention to it. Im used to but I have grown to understand the oil thing and relay on the dipstick. Im not expert by any means but when it comes to gas, oil, and tire pressure, I get it. Those are 3 things Im somewhat **** about in every vehicle I own.

If your ever in ?, check your dipstick. And if your dipstick is low...
Old 03-31-2007, 02:36 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

The gauge measures the LAST quart of oil only! If its on red it does not mean you dont have any oil in the engine. Watch out for overfill as it can get very messy. Check FIRST the dipstick.If it shows full then you have a problem with the gauge. If not and if you are missing the last quart, with the engine running hot at idle on a flat surface pour in slowly one forth of the quart at a time. As soon as the needle starts moving upwards stop. The new oil will warm up too in a minute and you will see the needle raising to the middle or so. Then check the dipstick. You should be good to go. Hot oil expands so be aware of that. I have done this procedure a several times and it works like a charm. One time I was in a hurry and quite cocky ( yeah I know my 911 now type of deal) and I ended up with an overfill and a big mess...
Old 03-31-2007, 01:30 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was taught, especially with nice cars, to check the oil before starting it. Sounds like getting an accurate reading is impossible on a "cold" 993? In that case, will the dipstick really start out dry? It's hard for me to start any car if I can't see at least some oil on the stick. Or should there be a little, then check again in 30 seconds? or is it 10 minutes? (running on a level surface, hair tied safely back yadda yadda)
Old 03-31-2007, 01:57 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dcdude68
I was taught, especially with nice cars, to check the oil before starting it. Sounds like getting an accurate reading is impossible on a "cold" 993? In that case, will the dipstick really start out dry? It's hard for me to start any car if I can't see at least some oil on the stick. Or should there be a little, then check again in 30 seconds? or is it 10 minutes? (running on a level surface, hair tied safely back yadda yadda)
This is because the 993 uses a dry-sump oil system with an oil cooler. When you check the oil, you're measuring from the oil tank reserve not the oil pan. Until fully hot with the thermostat open, idling and on a level surface, the measurement won't be accurate. Best time to check is after a nice long drive. Don't worry if you're down a quart as there's lot's more oil in there (11qt). This is just the nature of dry-sump and the 993.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:06 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all who responded. I had heard the oil level had to be checked with the car parked on the level and a hot engine. I was concerned about running the car to get it warm with the gauge not registering anything. Sounds like there is some oil in there, so I will follow the procedure outlined, and be careful not to overfill.

Quick Reply: oil gauge