Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Windshield outer seal - curling up at bottom (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/341408-windshield-outer-seal-curling-up-at-bottom.html)

MarkD 03-30-2007 06:23 PM

Windshield outer seal - curling up at bottom

I've searched over the past few months and have not seen an answer... so here goes:

I replaced the outer seal on the windshield because the original was curling up along the bottom edge. I thought this was due to it's age and shrinkage.
The new seal does the same thing. :mad:

Does anyone else have this problem?
Solution?
Is it possible that the windshield was replaced and set in place incorrectly (a bit high)?

Trouble is that this then exposes the lower glass recess to water pooling. Not good. Hopefully someone has seen this.

Thanks!

nota_troll 03-30-2007 07:23 PM

I have the same problem. I bought the seals and plan to replace the windshield before my stickers are due.

whatyoutalknaboutwillis 03-30-2007 07:27 PM

I wonder if you have it installed upside down. I had new glass put in reciently with a new seal and it is flat. Check to see if ther is a top and bottom. Anyone?

GeezC4S 03-31-2007 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by MarkD
I've searched over the past few months and have not seen an answer... so here goes:

I replaced the outer seal on the windshield because the original was curling up along the bottom edge. I thought this was due to it's age and shrinkage.
The new seal does the same thing. :mad:

Does anyone else have this problem?
Solution?
Is it possible that the windshield was replaced and set in place incorrectly (a bit high)?

Trouble is that this then exposes the lower glass recess to water pooling. Not good. Hopefully someone has seen this.

Thanks!

I've had this exact problem approximately 1 -2 months after I replaced my windshield. I had my mechanic put some black silicone sealant under the seal where it was curling, reseated the seal, and the problem was solved. Hasn't been a issue since.

MarkD 03-31-2007 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by whatyoutalknaboutwillis
I wonder if you have it installed upside down. I had new glass put in reciently with a new seal and it is flat. Check to see if ther is a top and bottom. Anyone?

That's a thought, I'll check it out. I thought it was a perfect "T" shape. Maybe not.

George, glueing it down was my only idea so I suppose the black silicone route is what I'll do.
Thanks!

Still, I wonder if installing a windshield slightly high in the opening is the root of the problem here. Maybe...

993_Pilot 03-31-2007 02:33 PM

I had the same problem on the bottom right side of my rear window. Silicone worked for me.

geolab 03-31-2007 04:01 PM

This is a bad sign in my opinion.
When the front windscreen seal curls on the bottom, it means that there is a strong chance the metal in the windshield groove is starting to rust.
When rust attacks the metal, it inflates the metal, and thus the hook bottom of the seal won't stick anymore.
I would ask a pro to check the area.
check the Technical Service bulletin specifically for that on this forum

MarkD 03-31-2007 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by geolab
This is a bad sign in my opinion.
When the front windscreen seal curls on the bottom, it means that there is a strong chance the metal in the windshield groove is starting to rust.
When rust attacks the metal, it inflates the metal, and thus the hook bottom of the seal won't stick anymore.
I would ask a pro to check the area.
check the Technical Service bulletin specifically for that on this forum

Thanks, I've read the TSB. Read everything I could find on the topic here.

No rust, that was my first check before I bought the car. Besides, we don't let rust into California... state law :)
A pro? Nah... this is common sense stuff in my opinion.

So, I found that the T is not symetrical. I did install it properly with the longer edge to the outside.

Guess I'll just silicone it down. It won't take much.

Since I'm pretty sure the windshield was replaced previously, I am going to assume the glass was placed a tad too high and move on.

Thanks for the help!

g_murray 03-31-2007 06:51 PM

If you look closely at the outer gasket - there's a very thin line where the 'loop' of the gasket is joined (heat joined) so as to form a single continuous loop.
This 'line' should go i) at the bottom and ii) when aligned should line up with the antenna in the glass itself.
If the gasket is curling 'out' (away from the driver) then I would simply use some black sealant (3m) so as to 'snug' it back down again. Just make sure that there's no pool of water 'sealed' inside.

If the gasket is curling 'in' (towards the driver) then either the glass has shifted in the frame :-( and/or the gasket has simply warped/shrunk due to old age or environmental conditions.

So long as there's no rust issues I would, again, simply snug it down with some (3M) black sealant.
After you're happy with your outer-gasket-diy - I would protect it with some ANTI-Ultra Violet light product - such as 303 protectant.

Gerry

P.S. You'll know if the glass has 'shifted' in the frame if the area by the VIN number looks a tad askew and/or the wind 'whistles' thru the windscreen when you're driving at speed and/or you find pools of water inside the car after you've washed it.

(ask me how I know)

MarkD 03-31-2007 07:12 PM

Thanks for the extra info Gerry.

The seal is new and I thought the problem was old age... new one is doing the same. Sounds like windscreen installed improperly or shifted.

It is curling under or inward.
No rust, no wind noise, no leakage.

Silicone is the answer.

rconnon 03-31-2007 07:46 PM

This is why i LOVE rennlist. I noticed the drivers side bottom of the seal curling in towards the driver
on my car about a month ago and had some whistling.. i shruged it off as nothing at the time.. until then i never noticed it.. When i brought the car into get painted i asked the guys there and they said the windshield probably is not centered but it should not cause an issue..

I have since got the car back from the autobody shop and washed it for the first time today.. everything looked fine........... until i drove it after the wash and noticed water coming from the dash near the gas door release... seems there was some pooling and the water ran out after the car moved... this is NOT Good considering i live in a city that rains 60% of the year..

Does this mean i need to have the windshield pulled and re-seated? :(

Rob.

g_murray 04-01-2007 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by rconnon
This is why i LOVE rennlist. I noticed the drivers side bottom of the seal curling in towards the driver
on my car about a month ago and had some whistling.. i shruged it off as nothing at the time.. until then i never noticed it.. When i brought the car into get painted i asked the guys there and they said the windshield probably is not centered but it should not cause an issue..

I have since got the car back from the autobody shop and washed it for the first time today.. everything looked fine........... until i drove it after the wash and noticed water coming from the dash near the gas door release... seems there was some pooling and the water ran out after the car moved... this is NOT Good considering i live in a city that rains 60% of the year..

Does this mean i need to have the windshield pulled and re-seated? :(

Rob.

Hi,
Yeah, Rennlist is fab ...but sometimes the news isn't great (so don't shoot the piano player.)
Lil' story: last year a rock did my 10 year old SIGLA front windshileld in. I had it replaced (SIGLA too!) by a local glass joint who totally f'd up the installation. I supplied the gasket - they damaged it during the install, they installed the glass 'skewed' in the frame - the VIN is partially obscured, it leaks like a sieve by the passenger area and 'whistles' when I drive fast. The gasket also curves in by the VIN area esposing the metal frame. (Cost for this fiasco = $700+)
OK, end of lil' story - now the unfortunate part - which I think is in YOUR future.
As some of you may know, I left in my car for its 30K-mile service. On my 'wishlist' was that they remove and reinstall the front windshield. I also bought yet another front/outer gasket.
The mechanic WARNED me that very often - during such an operation - the glass cracks. This was confirmed by his glass guy. I took a deep breath and said: "do your best but if you end up having to install a whole new front windshield - then so be it - I will bite the bullet - just please do it friggin' properly this time". He said he would - to the tune of $1,100.
He called me last week. "The 30K service is done". Then he paused and said that the glass cracked and that they ended up (as they surmised) having to install a whole new front windshield. :-O However, they - given the opportunity -- "did a thorough job". They checked the frame for any rust (none) and - quoting him now - they took their sweet time and did a fantastic job. He actually said he was very proud of this install. It's perfect mechanically, electrically, functionally and cosmetically.
I go, tomorrow morning, and collect the car back from him - so hopefully I'll have something positive to add / confirm what I'm writing right now.
So, my internet friend, what I went through - you may end up going thru' as well. The only REALLY sad/unfortunate part (for me) was that the glass that cracked 'on the way out' - was only put in 6 months ago - and was fine. YOU on the other hand, should NOT be perturbed if - sometime in the future - are the recipient of a rock-ding - for therein lies YOUR opportunity to "justify" having a new piece of glass installed. Just make sure that whomever does it - does it right! Trust me, it's a pi$$er having to pay $$$ TWICE for glass.

Gerry

rconnon 04-02-2007 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by g_murray
Hi,
Yeah, Rennlist is fab ...but sometimes the news isn't great (so don't shoot the piano player.)
Lil' story: last year a rock did my 10 year old SIGLA front windshileld in. I had it replaced (SIGLA too!) by a local glass joint who totally f'd up the installation. I supplied the gasket - they damaged it during the install, they installed the glass 'skewed' in the frame - the VIN is partially obscured, it leaks like a sieve by the passenger area and 'whistles' when I drive fast. The gasket also curves in by the VIN area esposing the metal frame. (Cost for this fiasco = $700+)
OK, end of lil' story - now the unfortunate part - which I think is in YOUR future.
As some of you may know, I left in my car for its 30K-mile service. On my 'wishlist' was that they remove and reinstall the front windshield. I also bought yet another front/outer gasket.
The mechanic WARNED me that very often - during such an operation - the glass cracks. This was confirmed by his glass guy.

I took a deep breath and said: "do your best but if you end up having to install a whole new front windshield - then so be it - I will bite the bullet - just please do it friggin' properly this time". He said he would - to the tune of $1,100.
He called me last week. "The 30K service is done". Then he paused and said that the glass cracked and that they ended up (as they surmised) having to install a whole new front windshield. :-O However, they - given the opportunity -- "did a thorough job". They checked the frame for any rust (none) and - quoting him now - they took their sweet time and did a fantastic job. He actually said he was very proud of this install. It's perfect mechanically, electrically, functionally and cosmetically.
I go, tomorrow morning, and collect the car back from him - so hopefully I'll have something positive to add / confirm what I'm writing right now.
So, my internet friend, what I went through - you may end up going thru' as well. The only REALLY sad/unfortunate part (for me) was that the glass that cracked 'on the way out' - was only put in 6 months ago - and was fine. YOU on the other hand, should NOT be perturbed if - sometime in the future - are the recipient of a rock-ding - for therein lies YOUR opportunity to "justify" having a new piece of glass installed. Just make sure that whomever does it - does it right! Trust me, it's a pi$$er having to pay $$$ TWICE for glass.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry,
Appreciate the knowledge. Looks like i have new windshield in my future.

Rob.

MarkD 04-02-2007 08:43 PM

Gerry,
I saw the end of that story coming... sorry man.

My plan is to wait for the "opportunity" to replace it and get it done right then.
Glad they did a good job for you in the end.

Mike J 04-02-2007 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by rconnon
Thanks Gerry,
Appreciate the knowledge. Looks like i have new windshield in my future.

Rob.

Rob,

If its leaking the urethane is not good ; either its failed or delaminated from the frame. Get Gerry down at Korva to look at it and tell them its leaking...they will fix you up fine!

Cheers,

Mike