993 Forum 1995-1998

LA to Seattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 05:13 PM
JStuart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LA to Seattle

I'm flying down to LA monday and driving a fellow rennlister's (his old...my new) C4S back. Looking for some advice on what I should prepare for... ALL advice and thoughts are welcome!

I have less than 48hrs to get back so the coast hwy is probably not an option.

The seller has a bra for the front and depending the fit I'm thinking about using it to help avoid potential road rash...any thoughts?

Any reccomendations on the best route(s)?

Thanks in advance!

Jay
Old 03-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Congrats on the purchase.

48 hrs is plenty of time to get from LA to Seattle. I've done the drive half a dozen times. To put things in reference, if you take I5 and drive non-stop at the posted speed limit (yeah right), it'll take you about about 20 hrs. With the time that you've allotted, I'd take the coast hwy at least part of the way. It's very twisty, deserted and the views are fantastic, especially as you get into OR. Perfect forum for you to get to know your 993. If you do, watch for wildlife crossing the road. The one time I took the coast hwy, I nearly crashed into a heard of Elk crossing the road as I was coming out of a turn at speed. If you take I5, get a radar detector or keep a good eye out for patrol cars, especially in OR, they're brutal and so are their fines. Ask me how I know. The bra is a great idea. I bought my 85 cab in San Diego and drove it back. I bought a bra just for the trip to avoid road rash and was well worth it, especially if you take I5. Sounds like a great trip!!!

Last edited by Wilder; 03-30-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I5 is a drone and I would head for the coast too. I would still get a V1 detector but you don't have time it seems.

Also, I would use blue tape before I would use a bra...takes a little time but doen't damage the car like a bra can.

Enjoy! Glad to see another 993 in the area.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:45 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

+10.

I make that run at least twice a year (usually on a bike though). If you never never done the CA cost up 1 from SF north. DO IT! DO IT! It's really amazing. Takes a long time but IMHO well worth it. AND if you really want to blow your mind (and a couple of extra miles) look up the 'Lost Coast' and do NOT miss out on that opportunity.

If you have the time, there are a lot of photos in my photogallery from last years Summer trip taken along the CA coast (heading down and also on the return).

http://fotoveloce.smugmug.com/gallery/1687065#82826472

Photos from the Lost Coast start here:
http://fotoveloce.smugmug.com/gallery/1687065#82825008

This photo here is in NorCal on the coast between Fort Bragg and Bodega Bay. http://fotoveloce.smugmug.com/galler...#82826457-L-LB
Old 03-30-2007, 05:46 PM
avidtest
Racer

For sure get a radar detector. Stay well behind 18-wheelers too, except to pass. Got two rock chips in my windshield when I brought my new ride back from the East Coast.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

bring a bottle or two of Technron or Slick 50 engine treatment to throw in the car during the initial drive. I also vote for the coast, but probably suggest getting out of LA first. head up 5 to Lost Hills, then you can take 46 across (right past the junction where James Dean crashed) to the 101. you can either continue North until Salinas then head for the coast right by Monterey, or continue on 46 past Paso Robles (where you can stop for wine tasing) and head for the coast by San Louis Obisbo. If time is a worry, I would head for the coast at Salinas, that part of 1 is really beautiful, lots of twisty roads, but like someone earlier said, watch out for wildlife.

You would have to ask our Oregon brothers about the coast up that way, as I have never driven that part.
Drive safe and enjoy the ride!
Kika
Old 03-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same thing from the Bay Area back up here (not the P-car, different car) a couple years ago.

Be prepared for some SERIOUS special attention at the airport. I was a lone middle-aged male, dressed casually, carry-on bag and no checked luggage, with a one-way ticket. I got put in the glass booth so everybody could watch and I got treated to about 10 mins. of meeting new friends before I was allowed to go on my way. And it will happen that way EVERY time.

I was on a timetable so sightseeing wasn't in the cards, so I went up I-5. I stopped in Weed, but try to arrange it so you're not going through the Siskiyou's at night. Spooky, desolate, no gas for long stretches, if you break down nobody but Sasquatch is gonna find you. Maybe stop in Redding or someplace like that?

I assume the car is serviced and ready to go, and you have confidence in all the usual long-trip stuff (tires, etc.). I say leave the bra on IF it fits well and doesn't twitch at highway speeds. One that doesn't fit has the potential to do more damage than not having one.

You'll have a blast, just you, your new baby and the open road. Have fun!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

+10 on Highway One

Take highway one up the coast from LA to SF. Then you can get on I5, turn on the radar detector and cruise to Seattle.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:51 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome...you will enjoy your time alone in the car. I would throw a spare DME relay in, just in case. Make sure its the one that the part # is 993.615.227.00. Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:12 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
I did the same thing from the Bay Area back up here (not the P-car, different car) a couple years ago.

Be prepared for some SERIOUS special attention at the airport. I was a lone middle-aged male, dressed casually, carry-on bag and no checked luggage, with a one-way ticket. I got put in the glass booth so everybody could watch and I got treated to about 10 mins. of meeting new friends before I was allowed to go on my way. And it will happen that way EVERY time.
Did you notice the'SSS' stamped on your ticket? Yeah.. been there, had that searched. At least it got me my own private security gate and I actaully beat the people originally standing behind me by over 30 min.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 1,710 Posts

A very, very important part of your trip...bring your favorite driving music!!!

Edit: nevermind, music is only when doing the trip on any other car. On your new 993, the engine sound is the music.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
Did you notice the'SSS' stamped on your ticket? Yeah.. been there, had that searched. At least it got me my own private security gate and I actaully beat the people originally standing behind me by over 30 min.
haha, "Slow Stupid Security" ??? What I did notice is that they spent more time looking at my ticket than at me - and I just got it out of the Southwest kiosk 10 mins. before. He says, "Where's the cover to this ticket?" I said, "It didn't come with one - haven't you ever seen one of these before???" I resisted flipping them too much sh*t, or I knew it would be a really bad day. My first clue was actually when I noticed that they were diverting all the guys traveling by themselves into a separate line. I felt so special, and then...
Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 PM
allill
Drifting

Just make sure to drive safe.

Who's c4s did you buy?
Old 03-30-2007, 11:39 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
haha, "Slow Stupid Security" ??? What I did notice is that they spent more time looking at my ticket than at me - and I just got it out of the Southwest kiosk 10 mins. before. He says, "Where's the cover to this ticket?" I said, "It didn't come with one - haven't you ever seen one of these before???" I resisted flipping them too much sh*t, or I knew it would be a really bad day. My first clue was actually when I noticed that they were diverting all the guys traveling by themselves into a separate line. I felt so special, and then...
For me, the first thing they did was yell and wave the ticket back and forth and barked out some code number I don't recall.

Next thing I know 2 guys appears quicky with those threater ropes and 4 posts and I'm surrouned by a set of red velvet ropes and they are quickly clearing out one of the security lines. I'm of course now the focus of ALL the attention in the terminal there (United security gate at SFO).

After a couple of minutes they escrot me, still inside this little rope 'jail' to a checkpoint staffed with like 10 TSA agents. The remove EVERYTHING form my carry on, want me, pad me down, wand me again, pat me down again, then have me sit while they want my feet, all sorts of stuff, rip everything out of my bag, open it, check it then stuff it back in.

It took about 10 min. All the while the 4 secruity gates the hundreds of people were waiting to use, was not down to only 3 because I had my very own personal gate and team of TSA workers.

Once the figured out I was NOT a threat they were quite nice and I got an excellent food recommendation from the guy that seemed to be in charge. I looked back and the people that had been in front of me had hardly moved in the huge line.

I then enjoyed a couple of nice micro-brews and an excellent roasted chicken meal in quiet relaxation.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:26 AM
creator8
Instructor

You only get one shot for your first drive in the car so take Highway 1 as much as possible. A radar detector is probably advisable too.

Quick Reply: LA to Seattle