Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

LA to Seattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 12:39 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hwy 1 is a fantastic drive. From La to San Francisco about 8 hours if you avoid rush hour traffic in both LA and SF. On the I-5 you can make the same trip in 5 hours.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:42 AM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 53 Posts

48 hours is a lot of time.
( like you're gonna want to sleep in the first two days of 993 ownership )
I have done LA-Seattle and points north drive a few times.
For a SC Rainforest Roundup drive a few years back, I changed back from the interstate to the coast a couple of times. On the return trip, I alternated the route, so that I ended up driving the whole coast over the two trips. Much to my delight, the cross - over routes (E-W between the interstate and the coast) were some of the best parts of the trip. ( used one of the popular motorcycle California roads websites,and a little luck, to choose the E-W roads)

have fun!!
and drive safe.

max
Old 03-31-2007, 02:07 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I prefer taking 395 as it's much less crowded and extremely scenic. You can cut though Tahoe and on through Lassen National Forest on Rt 89 (some of the best twisties in the country). Cut over to I5 whenever you run out of time. A great, uncrowded drive.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:16 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Be prepared for some SERIOUS special attention at the airport. I was a lone middle-aged male, dressed casually, carry-on bag and no checked luggage, with a one-way ticket. I got put in the glass booth so everybody could watch and I got treated to about 10 mins. of meeting new friends before I was allowed to go on my way. And it will happen that way EVERY time.
Funny you mention this. Last year when I flew up to Sacramento to pick up my black 993, same thing -- one way ticket, by myself, no checked luggage, ticket purchased the day before -- the trouble I faced was the fact my carry-on had a few pieces of clothing (stayed the night at my Dad's house), a DME relay, two fan belts, pair of cutters (to cut off the a/c belt if needed), triple square tool, ratchet with allen driver, two screwdrivers and a big ole 15/16" wrench for the pulley nut - security said I had to check the wrench as it was longer than the allowed 6" -- I said that I dont have a checked bag - -had to give it up -- I thought for sure I was getting a private room questioning..
Old 03-31-2007, 02:41 AM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
I prefer taking 395 as it's much less crowded and extremely scenic. You can cut though Tahoe and on through Lassen National Forest on Rt 89 (some of the best twisties in the country). Cut over to I5 whenever you run out of time. A great, uncrowded drive.
I second this. This route receives a lot less attention than the coastal route, but it really is quite beautiful, with a few twisty parts. If you're traveling on the weekend, it's almost a no-brainer to me, as Hwy 1 is so crowded...

Coming back from Parade in Boise a few years ago I picked up 395 in western WA and took it all the way down to LA. On the northern stretches there were some beautiful high-speed curves, and during one stretch, I covered 200 miles in less than two hours. Gotta love that...
Old 03-31-2007, 03:17 AM
JStuart
Instructor

Default Thanks for all the ideas

I will check out 395 as I've never done that route. I pulled the trigger on John's 97 with the white wheels...my first ever Porsche.

I have no idea what a DME is?

Jay
Old 03-31-2007, 03:40 AM
polaris 993 sport
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

just did a trip to SF-to ashland oregon -window is chipped second in two years -lots of police around redding and just outside the 505 hwy-i have a k40 so makes it easier on the nerves-did some high runs near the oregon border at 150 plus but sadly got dark-enjoy the ride but do it in the day as too see upcoming police -cheers
Old 03-31-2007, 04:52 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

if you take hwy 1 north of sf, stop by arcata for lunch.. its this little coastal town with a lot of character..

also the drive through oregon is always fun.. from what i remember of central oregon (its been a year since i've been up there) you'll have a 2-5 mile straightaway, then a turn, another 2-5 mile straightaway, another turn.. and so on, pretty fun stuff.

highway patrol likes to hang out within 30 miles of the state lines though so be sure to keep your speeds safe.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use the bra, and I recommend that you do so, put blue tape under the trailing edge of the bra on top of the fenders. At least on my car, that seems to be an area where the bra makes scratches. Also tape the trailing edges of the wheel wheels. If is raining, take the bra off (this may not matter on a clear coated car, but it sure did on my '85 Arrest-Me Red coupe).

What the heck, who cares what it looks like, no one that you pass knows you.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:53 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Jay is flying down to pick up my soon to be his car. I am having my detail guy come up tomorrow to put a fresh coat of wax on the car so as to make a little more protection for the drive. I hope he makes the time for Hwy. one through the redwoods. I would like to thank him for the purchase, but more so for the fact he is an enthusiast and will really appreciate this car. Rennlist has been a great value as well as a great community of people.

Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 1,710 Posts

John: Glad your car is going to good hands. I'm sure you're excited about your GT3 but it's always nice to leave your previous car in good hands.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:18 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Always....
Old 04-01-2007, 03:29 AM
JStuart
Instructor

Thanks John!

Jay
Old 04-01-2007, 03:37 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Jay I don’t have an extra relay so if you feel the need we can stop by the dealer and pick one up.

jv
Old 04-01-2007, 11:25 PM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay: Lets us know when you get back! We should all get together and welcome you into the 'C4S' club

Quick Reply: LA to Seattle