Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Nokia HiFi option amp (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/340544-nokia-hifi-option-amp.html)

Peter R. 03-27-2007 05:35 AM

Nokia HiFi option amp

I have the schematics on a number of 993 audio systems, but unfortunately they're almost indecipherable.

Can anyone tell me if the Nokia Amp (NON-DSP) is a FOUR or a SIX channel amp ? In other words, are the subs in the doors powered by a seperate channel output or is it a three way system in those doors. Reason I ask is there's no sound coming from my door, and I'm trying to decide whether to repair or dump the whole shebang and put in something half decent.

Thanks,

Peter R.

grmnxtc 03-27-2007 01:00 PM

Yes it's a Six channel...

The front Bass speakers have seperate feeds from the amp.

aaronutk 03-28-2007 12:10 AM

I have the exact same problem, no sound from the driver's side door unit. Same HiFi setup. Please let us know if you figure this out. I've been thinking hard about gutting it and putting in an after market system.

--Aaron

Peter R. 03-28-2007 05:37 AM

Only three possibilities, really.

1. The speakers are shot. This would, in the case of the six channel amp, mean that there's still a bit of movement in the large one, since it's on a different channel. Also, the tweeter AND the midrange failing at the same time are slim, since the filter between mid and high is a simple first order capacitor affair, we can rule out filter failure, and chances of the three speakers in the door failing at the same time (with a good amp) are negligable (but not non-existant).
2. There's still movement in the bass speaker, but the mid AND the tweeter are dead. This means that, bar the slim chance that tweeter AND midrange have failed at the same time, the amp channel is shot.
3. The mid high AND the bass unit are dead. This means the amp is gone.

I've examined my amp. It is the most dreadful, low quality, miserable and unworthy of Porsche POS I've ever had the misfortune to behold. And it's anemic to boot. The speakers are of the same quality level.
The person who decided this belongs in a vehicle of this standard should be summarily executed.

I've decided tho scrap the whole thing and put something in there the car deserves. I would be going for a Focal 3 way in the doors (16 cm woofer, 10 cm midrange and a tweeter), a two way in the rear consisting of a 20 cm woofer and a tweeter, and a good amp like Phoenix, Mac or MTX, along with an adequate power supply and decent speaker cable.

Peter R.

JPS 03-28-2007 03:52 PM

what do you think that setup will run?

Peter R. 03-28-2007 04:00 PM

In watts or money ? Providing you have a decent head unit, and you do the install yourself, about 1 to 1.2K $ I should think.

Peter R.

JPS 04-03-2007 01:30 AM

Yeah, I was talking $. Thx.