993 Forum 1995-1998

checked out a 993 today, have some (rather basic)questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:12 AM
BlackWRX02
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checked out a 993 today, have some (rather basic)questions

I admit this is going to be a rather "noob-ish" post but I feel the need to ask the following questions after looking at a 993 and driving one for the first time.

I took it for a drive around the neighborhood where it was listed and noticed the following things. Since I've never driven a 993 I'd like some input if possible since I'm possibly in the market for one

1. The steering was rather "stiff" feeling. It took a bit to get it to turn, though it wasn't anything forceful or extreme it did take me by surprise at the first turn.

2. The clutch pedal was rather hard to depress. It felt like it grabbed OK and the shifts felt perfectly smooth, but the pedal itself took some umph behind it. It engaged and disengaged towards the top of the pedal, and as I said it did feel good expect for the amount of pressure needed to press it down.

I hear and read all the time about this car feeling more "mechanical" or old school than the newer P-cars. I have regularly driven a 997s at local autoX and a track day and have a decent feel for this car. Is what I experienced simply the differences in 10 or 11 years worth of car or is there something possibly wrong with the 993 that I looked at. I fell in love with it but need to know if what I'm noticing is normal for these cars. Owner has records and the car, for its age, is in average to good shape I would say. Seemed to run strong but I was just curious about these few things.

Any insight would be much appreciated!
Old 03-23-2007, 12:25 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Steering should not feel stiff. The clutch shouldn't feel stiff either. The clutch
is a hydraulic system which is much softer than the mechanical clutch that was in my 1985 911. A stiff clutch with the old 915 gearbox was the norm...
Old 03-23-2007, 12:36 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I will go on to say the steering and clutch may feel stiffer than what you are use to. Definitely increased effort vs. other types of cars.

Pay attention to where the clutch grabs, or how high the pedal is for friction point. Also, the quality of the pedal which what I mean is how smooth it is without creaking noises or sticky pedal return towards the top of its travel.

Steering systems in these cars are pretty reliable save for steering rack leaks at around 70K-100K miles. If its not leaking and not low on p/s fluid, chances are the steering is fine.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:02 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What car are you looking at? There is a black on black in Orlando that was on the market, off the market, then back on again - it that's it let me talk to you about my experience with this guy.

Otherwise, best of luck.

Using my amazing powers of deduction, I surmise you drive a WRX. My coworker has an STI. Typical Jap car - clutch and steering have a "friendly" feel. In my 993, I feel like I have to work at seat positioning every day to get the right feel on the clutch pedal, and it does feel a little heavy. In terms of steering, I would say that 993s with stock wheels/tires push some and the steering is heavy - but the experts might have more to say than me.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:07 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steering seems pretty light to me, once you get rolling. Clutch is stiff, I can even rest my foot on it while stopped at a light and not activate it, same with the brake pedal. A nice 993 quirk I have learned to love.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:25 AM
godxilla
Advanced

i think it depends on your perspective. i owned a 86 carrera, manual steering, non hydraulic clutch. now that had stiff steering and a very heavy clutch. my 993 seems light in comparison.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:37 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heavy clutch and steering of a 993 are normal compared to a 996. I agree with godxilla..both are light as a feather compared to the older 911.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:52 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Having had both cars at the same time, yes the 993 is firm in all you said and I add braking, and the 993 is better
Old 03-23-2007, 09:27 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 993 has a legendarily tricky clutch (everyone who drives my TT stalls it first-time-out) and the control-weightings are generally heavier than all but the most brutal contemporary and more recent machines.

Doesn't sound like anything to worry about...
Old 03-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Chris, Texas etc. about the steering and especially the clutch. To me they're very light (but I had 911 with no power assist on either) but if you're used to something soft, 993 steering & clutch can feel stiff.

Drive another 993 (or better yet, few of them) so you'll get a baseline of how these cars should feel
Old 03-23-2007, 10:08 AM
BlackWRX02
Track Day

Someone above said the steering felt "heavy". Thats a very good way to describe what it felt like, not so much "stiff"

Pedal engaged up towards the top on the clutch, brakes felt good.

The problem i'm having is there are not many in my area that I can go look at and drive to get a feel for whats "normal" so to speak. Gonna keep looking though.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:16 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

I remember the first time I drove the 993. I would not use the word "stiff"..BUT.. the clutch definitely felt 'heavy'. It takes some effort. I don't remember stiff steering, but I do remember a heavier wheel than 'regular' full power steering cars. Again, you have to pay attention...and you can't turn the car with your index finger alone like you can with them thar reger'ler cars.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my car in the shop the other day and the mechanic and I went for a drive and the first thing he said was "you have a heavy clutch". My car has a Porsche Motorsport clutch and LWF so maybe the car you drove had modifications also. I was told the stock clutch is much lighter but I have nothing to compare it with. Drive a few more cars and you'll have a good idea.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I have driven a friends 997S and the clutch on that car feels completely different than the 993. When I first got my 993 the clutch was a bit hard to press & a PPI revealed it needed a new clutch. Once the new clutch was it it felt very light, but still completely different than the 997 clutch.

I agree with the other posters, find another car to drive for comparison, then get a PPI if you are still interested in that car. You might also see if there is another Rennlister with 993 experience in the area that can take a look at the car for you.

Good luck in your search.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:23 PM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Personally I wish the 993 had a little more heft in the steering. It is noticeably lighter than the steering in my 951 which I think is just about perfect from an effort standpoint. The 993 clutch was a lot heavier though until I flushed the slave cylinder. It still isn't quite as light as the water pumper, but it is close.

-John

Quick Reply: checked out a 993 today, have some (rather basic)questions