Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

LPMM, UNHOLY SH!T!!!

Old 03-17-2007, 08:58 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Anyways, can I or should I do the LPMM and allow for the heat shield or do away with the shields?
I simply cut to fit with a tin snips. About 2 minutes per side. Did a small rough-cut first to ensure proper size/shape before making a final cut.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:33 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Mr. PLate

You're da man!

Today at AX, quite a few people commented and inquired..is it a Turbo, wat kinda exhaust..etc etc. They sounded so good at WOT.

Now all I need is power to match the sound.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:52 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Svaha
I feel like I took my 993 to the vet and had its ***** put on. Seriously. This is NOT a little difference. I've got crackle if I rev up and let it fall. The whole tone is deeper and more menacing. When I get on it, it positively bellows with a raspy 911 growl. This is how it should have sounded from the factory.
Two feet of 2" 316 stainless = $28
Two mufflers welded = $60
By far the best $88 I ever spent!

Leland, I've got to hand it to you, you've made my month.
I had ***** put on mine as well. Only problem is when I bump them going over low kerbs, sounds goes all high pitched for a while

Last edited by JohnMetro; 03-18-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:17 PM
David R
Instructor

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Svaha, if you click the "RSRs-vs-Modified-Muffler" videoclip with the two black 993s, the first one to take off is has the RSR's and the 2nd has the LPMM's.. Thats my guess anyways .. Great site btw David, love it
Correct. The second car is mine with a 1.5" bypass pipe. I'm planning to remodify them this summer with a larger pipe and cat bypass too...
Old 03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by David R
I'm planning to remodify them this summer with a larger pipe and cat bypass too...
You have very good neighbors.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:46 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Correct. The second car is mine with a 1.5" bypass pipe. I'm planning to remodify them this summer with a larger pipe and cat bypass too...
You might want to re-think that or at least check out another car with the cat bypass and stock pipes as well as LPMM. I did just the cat bypass and the car is pretty loud (and wicked sounding) with the totally stock cans.

I like it but I hesitate to start it up before 8:00am so I don't wake up everyone else in the rowhouses!
Old 03-26-2007, 05:43 PM
David R
Instructor

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
You might want to re-think that or at least check out another car with the cat bypass and stock pipes as well as LPMM. I did just the cat bypass and the car is pretty loud (and wicked sounding) with the totally stock cans.

I like it but I hesitate to start it up before 8:00am so I don't wake up everyone else in the rowhouses!
The car has Fabspeed Supercups on at the moment which I think are louder than the cat bypass and lpmm setup. I'm hoping for something a little more cultured than the supercups!

Good job my neighbours love the 911
Old 03-26-2007, 06:56 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

The car has Fabspeed Supercups on at the moment which I think are louder than the cat bypass and lpmm setup. I'm hoping for something a little more cultured than the supercups!

Good job my neighbours love the 911
Geez, that bird must really sing!

Most of my neighbors are retired, and I'm trying to startle them into heart attacks every morning.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:05 AM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by briefescape
Beautiful day here in Vancouver and had the top down with new tips and 1.5 " LPMM mod. What a nice sound " little rumble in the jungle "
Hey Guy - remember me from the Duffy Lake ride from last year?
So who did the LPMM mod for you? I just started reading up on this and I'm interested in getting the mod done to mine. I think we need to get together for wobbly one soon so I can check out your rumble!

Cheers
Old 04-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,780 Likes on 1,704 Posts

Hans - you've got a PM
Old 04-05-2007, 12:30 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shanepotter
Does it matter which gauge is used? How about flavor, 304, 316 or 321?
Yeah. I'd like to confirm gauge that people are recommending because I want to order. Anyone? Bueller??
Old 04-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe I used T304. You can call Burns Stainless and they will help you out.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:36 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone recommended 321 but there are 3 different gauges. Heck I'm actually thinking about 2.25.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:09 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jo-hans
Hey Guy - remember me from the Duffy Lake ride from last year?
So who did the LPMM mod for you? I just started reading up on this and I'm interested in getting the mod done to mine. I think we need to get together for wobbly one soon so I can check out your rumble!

Cheers
Hans sure do remember you and your nice 993 coupe . That Duffy Lake ride was a blast and I guess you got a pm from Louis . If you want to meet just pm me and are you also coming April 14th to XXX Root Beer drive ? https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/340407-xxx-root-beer-run-for-all-north-west-folks-update.html
Old 04-05-2007, 02:42 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nota_troll
Someone recommended 321 but there are 3 different gauges. Heck I'm actually thinking about 2.25.
321 is better, but probably not needed. It is probably best to match what the original material is, but I have no idea.

From the burns website:

321 stainless steel tubing is one of the most desirable materials for exhaust systems because of its excellent resistance to fatigue and cracking at elevated temperatures.
It is usually the material of choice for high temperature turbo applications, unless extreme requirements indicate the use of Inconel.

We have extensive experience with 321 and will be happy to assist you in using it.

304 stainless steel tubing combines excellent physical properties with a remarkable resistance to corrosive agents found in automotive exhaust emissions.
304 tube is the most cost-effective grade of nonmagnetic stainless steel for general applications, but some professional racing teams use the higher heat-resistant properties of aircraft grade 321 stainless steel.
We have considerable experience with stainless header fabrication and will gladly advise our valued customers.

As far as gage is concerned, I would guess that the pipe on the factory muffler is either 16 or 18 gage, but not knowing for sure I would error on the conservative side and go with the 16 gage. It probably wouldn't make much difference either way, but the price difference is minimal and the weight saving would also be minimal by going to 18 gage.

Last edited by 993_Pilot; 04-05-2007 at 01:56 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LPMM, UNHOLY SH!T!!!