993 Forum 1995-1998

LPMM, UNHOLY SH!T!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by l.stroup@adelphia.net
Sorry guys, I guess I don't know how to navigate this site well enough yet.I entered the code you gave me and it took me to the dead zone. Any other ideas?
Don't enter it, just move your mouse over it and click it.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...ad.php?t=213120
Old 03-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leland Pate Modified Muffler
Adding a bypass pipe (mine was 2" diameter) post cat that allows some engine noise and exhaust gases to flow straight from the cat to the exhaust tip, bypassing the muffler itself. Cheap and easy muffler modification that sounds as good as mufflers costing $1000.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:01 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Svaha
I feel like I took my 993 to the vet and had its ***** put on. Seriously. This is NOT a little difference. I've got crackle if I rev up and let it fall. The whole tone is deeper and more menacing. When I get on it, it positively bellows with a raspy 911 growl. This is how it should have sounded from the factory.
Two feet of 2" 316 stainless = $28
Two mufflers welded = $60
By far the best $88 I ever spent!

Leland, I've got to hand it to you, you've made my month.
Amen!

Just got back from a drive (beauty of a day here in NorCal) and still have that lovely sound in my head.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:34 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

How does it work for emissions testing?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:12 AM
neunelf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would it be to weld a non-stainless metal pipe on to our mufflers? Would longevity be a major hindrance in regards to the weld or the non-stainless pipe itself?

The AutoZone auto parts store locally sells a 2 inch 90 degree bent pipe that would transverse the pipes on our muffler perfectly; hopefully increasing the amount of airflow past the muffler.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:56 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

Originally Posted by JPS
How does it work for emissions testing?
No effect. It's "post cat" so if it fails emissions, it's not the mufflers fault!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:22 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone have a sound clip?

Ken
Old 03-12-2007, 11:38 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

I started removing my muffler late last night. Got the strap and the connections to the cat off. Now I it should be pretty easy lift the muffler of the hook..right..?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. If you've also removed the exhaust tips, there should be room to swivel the muffler and pull it out of there. You're halfway there...
Old 03-12-2007, 11:49 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Svaha
Yes. If you've also removed the exhaust tips, there should be room to swivel the muffler and pull it out of there. You're halfway there...
Tks..tips are already off...
Old 03-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
I started removing my muffler late last night. Got the strap and the connections to the cat off. Now I it should be pretty easy lift the muffler of the hook..right..?
Don't forget to pull back the clamps...they have a fair amount of "holding" power even without the bolts. I replace my bolts with stainless steel ones...it makes it much easier the next time and no corrosion. You can take the mufflers off without taking anything else off (like the wheels, liners, etc.), they just lift off.

Getting them back in is not too bad but take care that you have a good even joint between the CAT and the muffler. I usually make sure the clamps are pulled back, I put the muffler in and hang it, and then wiggle/position the muffler until the joint is perfect. I then loosely attach the muffler strap (not tight...you might need to move the muffler around). I then slide the clamp centered onto the joint, wiggle the muffler until it perfect and then bolt the clamp up. I then check the muffler is still on its hanger and tighten the muffler strap up. Once that is all nice and solid you can put the tip on..same procedure. I often will not do the final tighten until both tips are on and I can look at the car from the top and rear to make sure the tips are centered, level and correct. Then tighten up the clamp for the tips and you are done.

I have heard cars with 1" and 2" pipes...its like the old story. I found 1" just toooo quiet, 2" just tooooo loud but finally did mine with 1 1/2 pipe...just right!!!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by neunelf
How would it be to weld a non-stainless metal pipe on to our mufflers? Would longevity be a major hindrance in regards to the weld or the non-stainless pipe itself?

The AutoZone auto parts store locally sells a 2 inch 90 degree bent pipe that would transverse the pipes on our muffler perfectly; hopefully increasing the amount of airflow past the muffler.
I am not sure why you would do that...the pipe used is perfectly straight and goes between the inlet and outlet. You can weld different metals but the mufflers do get wet and this is a Porsche...the cost of the tubing is pretty cheap so just do it all in stainless.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-12-2007, 12:07 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Don't forget to pull back the clamps...they have a fair amount of "holding" power even without the bolts. I replace my bolts with stainless steel ones...it makes it much easier the next time and no corrosion. You can take the mufflers off without taking anything else off (like the wheels, liners, etc.), they just lift off.

Getting them back in is not too bad but take care that you have a good even joint between the CAT and the muffler. I usually make sure the clamps are pulled back, I put the muffler in and hang it, and then wiggle/position the muffler until the joint is perfect. I then loosely attach the muffler strap (not tight...you might need to move the muffler around). I then slide the clamp centered onto the joint, wiggle the muffler until it perfect and then bolt the clamp up. I then check the muffler is still on its hanger and tighten the muffler strap up. Once that is all nice and solid you can put the tip on..same procedure. I often will not do the final tighten until both tips are on and I can look at the car from the top and rear to make sure the tips are centered, level and correct. Then tighten up the clamp for the tips and you are done.

I have heard cars with 1" and 2" pipes...its like the old story. I found 1" just toooo quiet, 2" just tooooo loud but finally did mine with 1 1/2 pipe...just right!!!

Cheers,

Mike

Tks..clamps are already off..the muffler is just hanging on the hook I guess...was to late to fuss with it. After unhooking everything I was wondering why the unk it wouldn't fall..of course after a lil research here I found out there's a hook..
Old 03-12-2007, 01:30 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Originally Posted by 993Porsche
Does anyone have a sound clip?

Ken
Click the LPMM link in my sig line, there's a couple of videos in the thread there.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:56 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Clive, sounds great It's neat to know that we have something in common, as my (PO jdoc) car served as your organ donor

Quick Reply: LPMM, UNHOLY SH!T!!!