993 Forum 1995-1998

How do I get the previous owners/ history of a car

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:35 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get the previous owners/ history of a car

thanks to yall i have cleared up the VIN question on a car im looking at, but I want to know if there is anyway to track the previous 3 owners, mainly to aks if any of them replaced the clutch or tracked it. Carfax checks out but is there any way to find the names of the previous owners other than asking the current one because he doesn;t know.

My last porsche had a history that the previous owner created by tracking down every owner down to the place who sold it so i know its possible. thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:08 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you local to the car? If it has any paperwork with it at all - POs' names and addresses were probably listed. Probably the easiest thing to do...
Old 03-07-2007, 11:20 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're friendly with a dealer he can pull up the old service records...he may pass them on to you, or give them with the owners' names deleted, or put you in contact with the previous owners directly. If you don't have a purchase or service history with the dealer I would doubt they would do this.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:47 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

yea thats what i figured, i am not local so i will try my local dealer tomorrow and see what happens
Old 03-08-2007, 04:01 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

It could be done by anyone here on Rennlist with the right contact.
I would appeal here on RL for someone who knows someone who has access to the dealers VAUDIA intranet. Of course, this only includes the cars history if serviced at porsche.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:15 AM
dhicks
Drifting

I went down the dealer route before I bought mine. I knew it was a NC car and Bob of Exclusive Motors was good enough to go through the dealer for me and get all the service records (redacted of course) but al least I was able to verify that the car had been serviced the whole of its life through Porsche Dealers........Where did you buy your car from, if it was a dealer maybe they would do the same for you.....????
Old 03-08-2007, 12:07 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
If you're friendly with a dealer he can pull up the old service records...he may pass them on to you, or give them with the owners' names deleted, or put you in contact with the previous owners directly. If you don't have a purchase or service history with the dealer I would doubt they would do this.
This assumes, however, that the car was serviced only by the dealer, which many of us know is not always the wise, prudent, economical, etc. route.

Some items, even clutches, etc., may have been completed by a previous owner as a DIY or by their independent mechanic.

Just understand that the dealer service records may be incomplete.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:14 PM
dmw
Instructor

I bought my car from a Porsche dealer in Texas. They printed off the service history they had but said they could not print off the history from a different Porsche dealer in the city. Is that right? I would have assumed they would be connected, but maybe not.

I sent a letter to the prior owner (got her name off the title) enclosing a picture of me and my cute kids and asked her if she would release the records. I got no response.

If anyone has any connections with the Porsche dealers in Dallas, PM me.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:06 PM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most dealers will print. Wyoming, PA Porsche printed 18 pages. However, Porsche of Downtown LA wants $1 a page!
Old 03-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ask for proof of a clear title - i.e. have them fax a copy, front and back, to you. The previous owners' names will be there.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:54 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This can have funny side effects. My old 911 was sold to me by a non-car guy doctor, who bought it from a well-known Porsche specialty shop. I did some research and figured out who had done most of the RS conversion, engine work, etc. and who FAILED to do a bunch of other obvious safety related things in favor of pretty fiberglass and paint. The internet is great for letting everyone know who the f-ups are.

If I was the previous owned of a marginal car, I'm not sure I'd want subsequent owners to find me...
Old 03-09-2007, 08:33 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

It can be very frustrating. A PO of my 993 had some significant work done on the car by Peter Dawes shop. Really nice guy, but more of a "heres a blank check do what you think is best" kind of guy. He's not sure of all the specifics as he didn't keep receipts. The broker that helped find the car and myself have tried repeatedly to get the info from Dawe...No Response. I even offered to pay.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 993James993
I think that there is a reluctance for some shops and dealerships to provide anything due to privacy laws. I don't know the specifics but that was what I was told when I asked for printed copies from the dealership last time around.
Yes, I forgot to say that printouts from the porsche intranet are ziltch, and they have a common agreement not to issue those to customers, just the info if you're lucky.
WHY? because in the VAUDIA system, every intervention on your car has the price
that the customer has paid, and what the dealership has billed the factory.
I printed out mine for the options, and it is nothing but an A4 with the vin number as title and the info is not even classified. It is all in one line.
It looks like a FORTRAN printout.
Just be prepared to write down the info if someone feels like giving it to you.
I know it sounds silly . . .

Quick Reply: How do I get the previous owners/ history of a car