Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I've had it with the squeeky brakes.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I've had it with the squeeky brakes.

If you hear me coming down the road you'd think I was driving a Mac truck.
This has got to end. I can't stand driving this car with these horrible brakes. I've tried everything to shut them up:

New pads

New spiders

Sanded pads

Chamfered pads

Multiple brands of brake pad anti squeel goop/lube

Sanded, scoured all rotors (tried to break the glaze)

All to no avail.

I have now given up. I guess my best bet at this point is to scrap everything and buy all new OEM rotors and pads.

My question is: Which brand/type of pad will give me the least amount of trouble with squeeking. I can't STAND squeeks.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:05 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Genuine Porsche rotors and pads---not a peep.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:19 AM
schred
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always keep coming back to OEM pads. I despise the dust, but there is nothing like a silent brake system. Now shut those brakes up for good!
FS
Old 02-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently had my car at the factory for a new Mass Airflow Sensor, and also had them do the whole brake deal.....new rotors, pads, and fluid. The brakes were "somewhat" squeeky before that, but totally silent now....(PLUS they hooked it up to the Diagnostic Computer for a full check of everything...found out that the heater fan ballast was bad, but that everything else was OK) (Normally would do this stuff myself, but time is lacking nowadays.) For a street car, all factory components are the way to go!

You can trust the dealers over here in Germany (where we both are) pretty well not to rip you off, and to do good work if you don't want to dig it into it yourself. I have had excellent service, great customer care, and reasonable prices in all of my dealings here with 3 different dealers AND the factory service department.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:28 AM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Leland,

Genuine Porsche rotors and pads---not a peep.
I agree with 95 C4 993 I left my track pads on for a while after my last DE and like you my 993 sounded like a mac truck. I would come up to stop signs and soccer moms walking there dogs would look in horror. And probably think "what a pos porsche that dudes driving". I wanted to stick my head out the window just tell everyone. "Hey its just track pads.. Sorry there is really nothing wrong". Than I put the oem pads back on and wow much quieter and softer feel. So my advise is to put on some oem pads and get her up to about 179mph (autobahn) than slam the brakes down to a dead stop or lets say 50mph. That should do the trick. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I fought the squeaks for a month and ultimately capitulated with new rotors and OEM Textars. They're still bedding in a bit, but waayyy better.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:07 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Now that the weather's cold, my fronts are quite noisy untill they get some heat into them, and occasionally squeal even then. They were redone in the Fall with all OE Porsche box parts and new spiders.

There are no guarantees.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:30 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lee..

I've always had a problem with squeaky brakes. I use all OEM equipment, keep the rotors washed out from built up brake dust and they still make noise. Some days less than others but they're never quiet.

I chalk it up to big brakes on a sports car.....they're supposed to make noise !!

How's things in Germany ? Hope all is well with you. Denise and the boys say hi !!
Old 02-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Go all stock and keep them clean and the sliders lubed, there will be no noise
Old 02-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Svaha
Pro

I've adjusted my braking habits. I brake violently only at the last instant. Seriously. My brakes squeek only if I break with a moderate foot. Of course, every passenger in my car thinks that I haven't seen the red light/ stop sign/ line of cars ahead of my car.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:55 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If all else fails:

Go to dealer (not any other distributor that sells what they call "OEM"....you want "OE" the original Porsche stuff only)

Dealer rotors, pads, spiders with the proper installation. There will be NO NOISE.

If it makes you feel any better my buddy purchased pretty much the top of the line Brembos for his M3. Got the stuff at cost and it was still around $5000 for the set up. It stops like nobody's business but it squeals like a mother f*cker too!
Old 02-16-2007, 01:03 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After installing MANY aftermarket OEM pads from the same vendors that Porsche uses (i.e Textar, Pagid, etc), I found that for no squeeling I will only install factory Porsche Pads and rotors. I have had to reinstall many sets to find that you CAN NOT beat the factory setup.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Svaha
I've adjusted my braking habits. I brake violently only at the last instant. Seriously. My brakes squeek only if I break with a moderate foot. Of course, every passenger in my car thinks that I haven't seen the red light/ stop sign/ line of cars ahead of my car.

I feel the same way. It's not exactly a good comparison since I don't have a 993 but, I've noticed the same thing with my big reds. Of course 99% of the people on the road accelerate and stop way too slow since they're driving automatic cars. It seems to me like under very light braking, over time, my brakes will start squeeking. However if I get on them hard then it goes away. I'm using the OEM Textar pads BTW. I've tried to change my braking style in the same manner, alas traffic never seems to allow it. It also seems to help eliminate the squeeking if I bed the pads in again with several hard stops from something like 80+mph.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:33 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Exactly what Bob says^^^

How are you doing Leland?
Old 02-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Jeff Crowley
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just had Big reds on C4S fitted with new pads and replaced front rotors at 70,000 mi.First brake maintenance since new. Now have dust and squeals when using light pressure. Original brakes never spewed dust or squealed. I complained to dealer & they handed me a piece of paper stating that new OEM pads etc. do not contain any asbestos and that dusk & squeals are normal. What is the fix?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I've had it with the squeeky brakes.